Hands On Clinic at Cocoa Beach 2008

Greg Martin

Hey Yuze Gize,

It is that time of year that we announce the Hands on Clinic (aka Shake 'n Take) for the Prototype Modelers Meet in Cocoa Beach, Fl in January. We will be taking reservations and as in the past there is a limited amount of spots available. We will be filling spots as quickly as we can and as we have in the past reserving 5 spots for those that are Internet challenged and walk in at the meet. We?have filled the?first?six spots. Remember, there is no additional cost to you, you?simply have to be there and signed up prior as spots are very limited. ?

The project this year will be of a Pennsy 50-foot class X45 all welded boxcar.?The car was certainly not the PRR's first 50-foot all welded boxcar, it was?built in 1951-52 at the PRR's Altoona Car Shops?and delivered in the classic PRR Circle/Ball?Keystone apint sceheme?and lasted in revenue service well into Penn Central. As usual?I will be presenting the subject by Power Point and the kit will be?limited to only those present. So, if you miss the presentation you may look for it later in 2008 as an article in The Keystone Modeler.?There will be a very limited amount of paper hand-outs as well, perhaps five. The past events have always been full with some standing room as available (for viewing).

So, if you?are planning on attending we would like you?to contact Mike Brock (off-line) FIRST?at brockm@...?and please "cc" myself at tgregmrtn@... to insure you have been considered. Again, there are only enough kits for those at the?presentation, first come first serve... ?

1.) Denny Anspach

2.) Mont Switzer?

3.) John Greedy

4.) Jim Singer

5.) Armand Premo
6.) Clark Propst

Again, ~off line~ contact Mike and myself as soon as possible. Cancelations will be filled as well, first come first serve...

Thanks Gize,

Greg Martin

More new features than ever. Check out the new AOL Mail ! - http://o.aolcdn.com/cdn.webmail.aol.com/mailtour/aol/en-us/text.htm?ncid=aolcmp00050000000003

Charles Hladik

Mike,
I'll send you a box car full of the 26 degrees that it is right now here
in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia.
Chuck Hladik
Rutland Railroad
Virginia Division

products.

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Greg Martin wrote:
The project this year will be of a Pennsy 50-foot class X45 all welded boxcar.
What the heck, Greg? Out of non-Pennsy things you can build already?? <vbg>

Publishers of books on railroad history

benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@...>

Tony Thompson wrote:
"What the heck, Greg? Out of non-Pennsy things you can build
already?? <vbg>"

Wow, that was unfair, seeing that the last two Cocoa Beach projects
were the KCS USRA DS rebuilds and the National Car Company Kahn's
reefer, which was used to serve a plant on the B&O.

Ben Hom

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Ben Hom wrote:
Wow, that was unfair, seeing that the last two Cocoa Beach projects were the KCS USRA DS rebuilds and the National Car Company Kahn's reefer, which was used to serve a plant on the B&O.
Um, the only two, actually; and that was my point--I guess it's "two and out." <g>

Publishers of books on railroad history

Mike Brock <brockm@...>

Tony Thompson notes about the non-Pennsy cars in the first two hands on clinics at Prototype Rails:

Um, the only two, actually; and that was my point--I guess it's
"two and out." <g>

Yeah...but out of every three frt cars, one was a Pennsy car. <G>. At least it seems like it. One thing to remember though. If we ever get to 40 cars...the mind boggles at the thought...at least ONE must be a Northern Pacific box car...in order to satisfy Brock's Fifth rule of frt cars [ or was it the Sixth? ].

"There shall be at least one NP box car in every merchandise consist frt train [ non coal, tank car or reefer drag ]".

Mike Brock

Brian J Carlson <brian@...>

Um Mike, year one was a 40' KCS car. I have one sitting nearby, actually
completed.

Brian J Carlson P.E. (Who can't attend Cocoa, cause he spent too much in
Naperville)
Cheektowaga NY

Tony Thompson notes about the non-Pennsy cars in the first two hands on
clinics at Prototype Rails:

Um, the only two, actually; and that was my point--I guess it's
"two and out." <g>

Yeah...but out of every three frt cars, one was a Pennsy car. <G>. At
least
it seems like it. One thing to remember though. If we ever get to 40
cars...the mind boggles at the thought...at least ONE must be a Northern
Pacific box car...in order to satisfy Brock's Fifth rule of frt cars [ or
was it the Sixth? ].

"There shall be at least one NP box car in every merchandise consist frt
train [ non coal, tank car or reefer drag ]".

Mike Brock

Yahoo! Groups Links

Mike Brock <brockm@...>

Brian Carlson writes:

"Um Mike, year one was a 40' KCS car. I have one sitting nearby, actually
completed."

I wasn't too clear...even to me and I wrote it. I meant that out of every three REAL frt cars, one was a Pennsy car...or so it seems. Thus, we should expect to find a Pennsy car pretty soon...as in now.

"Brian J Carlson P.E. (Who can't attend Cocoa, cause he spent too much in
Naperville)"

Probably a common malady. However, not my fault. Those that DO attend Cocoa Beach will be presented the pleasure of 70� temps and the first models of the SC&F STC tank cars...I hope.

Mike Brock...Damn. Temps will be down to 55� tonight. Probably freeze the pipes. The dead of winter.

Greg Martin

Tony,

It was going to happen sooner or later so we might as well get 'er out of the way... 3^)

Greg Martin

Wow, that was unfair, seeing that the last two Cocoa Beach projects
were the KCS USRA DS rebuilds and the National Car Company Kahn's
reefer, which was used to serve a plant on the B&O.
Um, the only two, actually; and that was my point--I guess it's
"two and out." <g>

Publishers of books on railroad history

More new features than ever. Check out the new AOL Mail ! - http://o.aolcdn.com/cdn.webmail.aol.com/mailtour/aol/en-us/text.htm?ncid=aolcmp00050000000003

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

It was going to happen sooner or later so we might as well get 'er out of the way... 3^)
Fair enough <g>.

Publishers of books on railroad history