From: jerryglow2 To: STMFC@... Sent: Saturday, December 15, 2007 10:44 PM
Subject: [STMFC] Santa Fe car spotters

What is the car on the right of this photo:
http://www.shorpy.com/node/626?size=_original

The first few digits of the car number are not visible and I'm not familar enough with SF cars to ID it.

charles slater

It looks like an Fe-21 class car rebuilt in 1940 from an Fe-S class car. They were numbered 7350-7399 and all 50 cars were lettered with the Grand Canyon Line slogan. These were 50 foot single door cars and the first 5 cars had end doors on them. There is two good photos of them in the book "Furniture and Automobile Box Cars" by Richard Hendrickson published by the Santa Fe Railway Historical and Modeling Society on pages 82 and 83.Charlie SlaterTo: STMFC@...: fleeta@...: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 23:09:03 -0500Subject: Re: [STMFC] Santa Fe car spotters

It's stenciled Fe-something, Fe-2 maybe?

KL

What is the car on the right of this photo:
http://www.shorpy.com/node/626?size=_original

The first few digits of the car number are not visible and I'm not
familar enough with SF cars to ID it.

i’m is proud to present Cause Effect, a series about real people making a difference.
http://im.live.com/Messenger/IM/MTV/?source=text_Cause_Effect

Richard Hendrickson

On Dec 15, 2007, at 7:44 PM, jerryglow2 wrote:

What is the car on the right of this photo:
http://www.shorpy.com/node/626?size=_original

The first few digits of the car number are not visible and I'm not
familar enough with SF cars to ID it.
It was an Fe-21 class 50' single door box car, ATSF 7368, rebuilt in
1940 for auto parts service from a 1928 Fe-S class double wood sheathed
composite automobile car. Note the National B-1 truck. There were 50
Fe-21s numbered 7350-7399. They were originally intended to be double
door auto cars with end doors and because the order wasn't changed
until the rebuilding process was well along, the first five cars, ATSF
7350-7354, were rebuilt with end doors, as were the Fe-22 and Fe-23
class double door auto cars which followed later in the year. As it
happens, I have a photo of ATSF 7369, the next car in the series, at
the time it was rolled out of the Topeka shops in November, 1940. All
of the Fe-21s had "Grand Canyon Line" slogans on the right side, early
style 50' straight line maps on the left.

Richard Hendrickson

Richard Townsend

The more important question is what is that right behind the tender?? If it's on its way to California, will it be routed home over Sherman Hill?<VBG>

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, Oregon

What is the car on the right of this photo:
http://www.shorpy.com/node/626?size=_original

The first few digits of the car number are not visible and I'm not
familar enough with SF cars to ID it.

TIA
Jerry Glow

More new features than ever. Check out the new AIM(R) Mail ! - http://webmail.aim.com

Mike Brock <brockm@...>

Richard Townsend notes:

"The more important question is what is that right behind the tender?? If it's on its way to California, will it be routed home over Sherman Hill?<VBG>"

A rather famous...er...infamous photo. Me thinks it might be more likely that...given the tendency to doubt the very existance of the car behind the tender...it just might be that the locomotive might itself be lost and the scene is, in reality, somewhere in the vicinity of...weell...Roanoke, VA.

Mike Brock...ducking from incoming...

Frederick Freitas <prrinvt@...>

GUYZ,

This is why we "never say never" about prototype operations. I'm confident that a poster size copy of this photo will be prominently display in Coco Beach next month!
Nice find Rick

Fred Freitas

richtownsend@... wrote:
The more important question is what is that right behind the tender?? If it's on its way to California, will it be routed home over Sherman Hill?<VBG>

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, Oregon

What is the car on the right of this photo:
http://www.shorpy.com/node/626?size=_original

The first few digits of the car number are not visible and I'm not
familar enough with SF cars to ID it.

TIA
Jerry Glow

More new features than ever. Check out the new AIM(R) Mail ! - http://webmail.aim.com

Todd Stearns <toddsyr@...>

That's the first thing I noticed in that photo too! I remember the "Sherman Hill discussion" well and figured it was best left for you guys to comment on it!

Todd K. Stearns