Marketing Agreements & Contracts (was: Cranberries)

John Hile <john66h@...>

--- In STMFC@..., tgregmrtn@... wrote:

Marketing agreements and contract were private and protected from
the public.
Unless, of course, the agreement became public through litigation...
See: Tank Car Corp. v. El Dorado Terminal Co., 308 U.S. 422 (1940) at
http://supreme.justia.com/us/308/422/case.html

Or became subject to ICC regulation...
For example: the Freight Traffic Red Book has examples of special
multi-car (trainlot) rates applied for and approved on a case-by-case
basis...one being bauxite from Mobile, AL to Vancover, WA, effective
June 20,1940.

John Hile

Greg Martin

John,

Once a private?agreement or contract (commonly known as?a letter quote)?became public it became a tarriff.

Greg Martin

Marketing agreements and contract were private and protected from
the public.
Unless, of course, the agreement became public through litigation...
See: Tank Car Corp. v. El Dorado Terminal Co., 308 U.S. 422 (1940) at
http://supreme.justia.com/us/308/422/case.html

Or became subject to ICC regulation...
For example: the Freight Traffic Red Book has examples of special
multi-car (trainlot) rates applied for and approved on a case-by-case
basis...one being bauxite from Mobile, AL to Vancover, WA, effective
June 20,1940.

John Hile

John Hile <john66h@...>

In re-reading my previous post, I realized I may not have been very
clear about the points I was trying to make with my examples. Let me
apologize and try again...

During business as usual, the shipper and railroad(s)and/or car owner
would enter into a private contract based on the approved rates and
regulations. These types of records are likely lost to history.

If, however, one party sued another based on one of these contracts,
the court record may give us some additional information about "who
was doing what when" such as in the case of GATX v El Dorado.
Information about a private company's business and terms of a leasing
agreement become public.

Similarly, if a railroad or shipper requested and/or was granted a
rate change by the ICC, information that would typically be part of a
private contract is now made public through the ICC's ruling and
summary. Such is the case when reading the approved trainlot rates
granted by the ICC for the shipments of bauxite.

By themselves, these examples only give so much. But, combined with
other information, such as employee interviews, train consists, etc.,
they may complete someone's research puzzle.

John Hile

http://webmail.aol.com