Cranberries-Proof of the cranberries is in the eatin'

Charles Hladik

Mike,
I think that "mchy" is machinery.
Have a MERRY CHRISTMAS and eat a lot of cranberries.
Chuck Hladik

Mike Brock <brockm@...>

Using the theory that the proof of the puddin' is in the eatin' I decided to take a look at the consists of PFE, SFRD and FGE reefers in about 17 WESTBOUND UP trains passing between Laramie and Green River, WY between March 16, 1949 and April 22, 1949. As the results show, by far the most common consist was air...MT. I don't know if anyone would be surprised to see spds..potatoes...traveling west but 3 cars had them. Also...cabbage? I'm assuming gware is glass ware but I have no idea what mchy is. Anyhow, yes, this is a very small sample. The frt trains analyzed are only those that conductor Fraley rode and on a given day UP ran about 20 westbound frt trains. Fraley seems to have worked west early in the day and back east later that day. He then took off the next day. So, the data probably represents one in about 40 trains. Not a cranberry in sight.

PFE
syrup-1
gware-4
mdse-10
mchy-1
MT-122
meat-1
spds-3
boxs-1
beer-1
cabbage-1
butter-1

SFRD-
32634 meat to pocotello
mt-1
spds-1
mdse-2
beer-1

FGE-beer-2
mdse-1

Mike Brock

benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@...>

Mike Brock wrote:
"Using the theory that the proof of the puddin' is in the eatin' I
decided to take a look at the consists of PFE, SFRD and FGE reefers
in about 17 WESTBOUND UP trains passing between Laramie and Green
River, WY between March 16, 1949 and April 22, 1949. <<snip>> ...the
data probably represents one in about 40 trains. Not
a cranberry in sight."

March-April is definitely off-season for cranberries. Harvest season
for cranberries is in late September-early October:
http://www.umass.edu/cranberry/cranberry/seasons.shtml

Ben Hom

Tom Madden <tgmadden@...>

Mike Brock wrote:

Using the theory that the proof of the puddin' is in the eatin' I
decided to take a look at the consists of PFE, SFRD and FGE reefers
in about 17 WESTBOUND UP trains passing between Laramie and Green
River, WY between March 16, 1949 and April 22, 1949.
[snip]

I'm assuming gware is glass ware but I have no idea what mchy is.
Machinery??

Tom Madden

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Mike Brock wrote:
Using the theory that the proof of the puddin' is in the eatin' I decided to take a look at the consists of PFE, SFRD and FGE reefers in about 17 WESTBOUND UP trains passing between Laramie and Green River, WY between March 16, 1949 and April 22, 1949. As the results show . . . Not a cranberry in sight.
Um, this is neither when the cranberries are harvested, nor (at least in my family) when they're eaten--think Thanksgiving and Christmas. We don't have a cranberry in sight in March or April, either. <g>

Publishers of books on railroad history

Larry Jackman <Ljack70117@...>

Why not? My beautiful NYC Jewish wife served them all the time. The year around. One thing you can say for Jewish people is they know how to eat. MmmmmmGood
Thank you
Larry Jackman
ljack70117@...
Boca Raton FL 33434
I want to die in my sleep like
my grandfather did, not screaming
like the other people in his car.

On Dec 21, 2007, at 1:39 PM, Anthony Thompson wrote:
. We don't have a cranberry in sight in March or April,
either. <g>

Publishers of books on railroad history

Yahoo! Groups Links

Mike Brock <brockm@...>

My point, of course, was not so much about cranberries...or the lack of them...but, rather, that by far the most common consist of PFE reefers returning to the West was...air.

It is interesting perhaps that non organic materiel seems to have been more common than organic going west. I'm also a bit surprised at the spuds going west. I should also note that the sample provided by the Fraley information is a very small sample but a real sample nontheless.

Mike Brock