F&C Kits

destron@...

Just wondering, is there a list/catalogue of F&C kits available somewhere
besides their website? The website seems not to work, where the freight
car kits are concerned.

Frank Valoczy
Vancouver, BC

-----
http://hydrorail.hostwq.net/index.html - Rails along the Fraser
http://hydrorail.rrpicturearchives.net/ - Rail Photos

Robert Daniels

The F&C web site works only in Internet Explorer.

Rob Daniels
New York, NY

destron@... wrote:
Just wondering, is there a list/catalogue of F&C kits available somewhere
besides their website? The website seems not to work, where the freight
car kits are concerned.

Frank Valoczy
Vancouver, BC

-----
http://hydrorail.hostwq.net/index.html - Rails along the Fraser
http://hydrorail.rrpicturearchives.net/ - Rail Photos

---------------------------------

destron@...

Ah, wonderful. So they don't want Linux users as customers?

In any event. Is there another source for a listing of their kits?

Frank Valoczy
Vancouver, BC

destron@... wrote:
Just wondering, is there a list/catalogue of F&C kits available somewhere
besides their website? The website seems not to work, where the freight
car kits are concerned.

Frank Valoczy
Vancouver, BC

-----
http://hydrorail.hostwq.net/index.html - Rails along the Fraser
http://hydrorail.rrpicturearchives.net/ - Rail Photos

---------------------------------
Search.

Yahoo! Groups Links

!DSPAM:1291,479c138e61853883740347!

-----
http://hydrorail.hostwq.net/index.html - Rails along the Fraser
http://hydrorail.rrpicturearchives.net/ - Rail Photos

SUVCWORR@...

The F&C web site works only in Internet Explorer.

This isn't accurate. Mozzila, AOL, Comcast and Verizon proprietary browsers
all work. Using IE and looking at the source code, the site is in standard
HTML.

Now back to the topic of the list before I am sent off to jail.

Rich Orr

SUVCWORR@...

In a message dated 1/27/2008 1:31:16 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
thompson@... writes:

It's not the "standard" HTML which makes something work in one
browser and not another--it's the "features" embedded in how it works.
Speaking as someone who has had to do extensive work on a web site
(ours), I have always stuck with "generic" features so that essentially
all browsers, even older versions, will be able to view all pages. To
default to IE seems to me a foolish "economy" if you interfere with
customers.

Tony,

They are using frames which do not work in all browsers. But it is code to
detect browsers which cannot handle frames and then a button to view in a
non-frames version is offered. Other than that I don't see any special features.

Rich

Jim & Lisa Hayes <jimandlisa97225@...>

I'm a regular Mozilla user but I've resigned myself to using IE to see all
of F&C's website. Parts of it just don't work for me with Mozilla.
Especially the freight car area.
Call, write, or email them and ask for their latest list. It's not a
complete list of all kits but it includes the newest ones and some deals on
older ones.

Jim Hayes
Portland Oregon

_____

From: STMFC@... <mailto:STMFC%40yahoogroups.com>

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Rich Orr wrote:
This isn't accurate. Mozzila, AOL, Comcast and Verizon proprietary browsers all work. Using IE and looking at the source code, the site is in standard HTML.
It's not the "standard" HTML which makes something work in one browser and not another--it's the "features" embedded in how it works.
Speaking as someone who has had to do extensive work on a web site (ours), I have always stuck with "generic" features so that essentially all browsers, even older versions, will be able to view all pages. To default to IE seems to me a foolish "economy" if you interfere with customers.

Publishers of books on railroad history

destron@...

I use SeaMonkey normally, and the F&C website didn't completely work in
that or Firefox on a Linux platform. I *just* now tried the Dillo browser
(an exceptionally light browser), and it works: probably not as the site
designers intended, but it works: I get the HO freight cars page with all
the sub-links visible. Hooray for free software that's better than
payware. :)

On topic now: In general terms, how accurate are F&C kits? I'd be
interested in the ACL war emergency gon, the M53s, CofG 32 ARA car, the
MP54 (not a freight car, I know), and a few others.

Frank Valoczy
Vancouver, BC

--
Thanks!

Brian Ehni

From: STMFC@... <mailto:STMFC%40yahoogroups.com>
The F&C web site works only in Internet Explorer.
This isn't accurate. Mozzila, AOL, Comcast and Verizon proprietary
browsers
all work. Using IE and looking at the source code, the site is in standard
HTML.
Rich Orr

Yahoo! Groups Links

!DSPAM:1291,479cbabe61854251712725!

-----

benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@...>

Frank Valoczy wrote:
"Just wondering, is there a list/catalogue of F&C kits available
somewhere besides their website?"

Interminable software discussion aside, this is a worthy project for
someone to take on - Funaro has issued many kits over the years, and
not all of them are currently in production. Additionally, it would
be worthwhile identifying those kits done by Funaro for other vendors
(i.e., NEB&W Green Dot, Yankee Clipper, West Shore Line, etc.). This
would be a great way for some of you list members to contribute more
to the community, much as Jim Hayes has compiling and maintaining the
Sunshine Kit List.

Ben Hom

benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@...>

Frank Valoczy wrote:
"On topic now: In general terms, how accurate are F&C kits? I'd be
interested in the ACL war emergency gon, the M53s, CofG 32 ARA car,
the MP54 (not a freight car, I know), and a few others."

The quality of Funaro's kits have vastly improved over the years;
however, it's a very good idea to verify your work using photos and
other independent sources. This goes for even newer kits - case in
point: the PRR Class X28A boxcars, which contains a number of obvious
errors when compared with prototype photos. (See discussion of this
specific kit in the archives.)

Ben Hom

destron@...

Tony,

They are using frames which do not work in all browsers. But it is code
detect browsers which cannot handle frames and then a button to view in a
non-frames version is offered. Other than that I don't see any special
features.

Rich
It's not the frames that are the issue - it's the 'click on the link to
expand the list' feature on the HO Freight Cars page. When you click the
HO Freight Cars link on the left frame, the page brings up a list sorted
by roadname. Then, when you click on a road, it brings a list on the same
page of the kits available for that road. It is this feature which is
making the difficulties.

Frank Valoczy
Vancouver, BC

-----
http://hydrorail.hostwq.net/index.html - Rails along the Fraser
http://hydrorail.rrpicturearchives.net/ - Rail Photos

Steve Lucas <stevelucas3@...>

One small issue that I've had with various makers' resin kits--not just
F&C. For example, kits from all three different resin manufacturers
for the CN 503500-513499 series 40' steel-frame boxcars--is the use of
generic (usually Tichy) brake rigging and underframe diagrams in the
instructions. These CN cars--I have lots of photos and several
articles on these cars, including Ted Culotta's excellent piece, with
photos showing one of these cars as rebuilt in 1949 with a diagonal
panel Stanray roof.

But I am modelling an Eastern Ontario railway line that often used a
lot of US roads' cars as well as those of CN when the grain was
running. It's a challenge for me to do the research for every road's
car to model same accurately.

Ted Culotta's "Essential Freight Cars" series has been very, very,
helpful in my quest to model many of these US cars. For example, I was
given an F&C Lehigh Valley "wrong-way" kit. Not long after, the
article on these cars was run in RMC, which is helping me immmensely in
modelling this car.

Steve Lucas.

--- In STMFC@..., "benjaminfrank_hom" <b.hom@...>