Bronx freight houses

Westerfield <westerfield@...>

Some time ago someone posted a photo of a circular freight house. A member of the NYC_transit_modelers_group posted this map of the Bronx in 1942 which shows quite a number of pocket yards, 3 of which appear to have circular freight houses: http://www.historicmapworks.com/Sections/Maps/Browse_Atlases/ViewAtlasPlatesUS-679-NY.htm

- Al Westerfield

al_brown03

Interesting map! Please see messages 65399 and 65381.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, " Westerfield" <westerfield@...> wrote:

Some time ago someone posted a photo of a circular freight house. A
member of the NYC_transit_modelers_group posted this map of the Bronx
in 1942 which shows quite a number of pocket yards, 3 of which appear
to have circular freight houses:
http://www.historicmapworks.com/Sections/Maps/Browse_Atlases/ViewAtlasPl
atesUS-679-NY.htm

- Al Westerfield

Monk Alan <Alan.Monk@...>

I know the lower pair, CNJ (plot #2316) and Harlem Terminal (plot #2319)
and both well documented on and off-line... BUT! What's the one slightly
further up the Harlem River, by the 149th St bridge (plot #2349)??

I have plans (one day...) to build either the CNJ or HT yards, their
operations fascinate me, stocked and destocked using carfloats (portable
staging!) and just endless switching ^_^

Cheers,
Alan,
London, UK

Some time ago someone posted a photo of a circular freight
house. A member of the NYC_transit_modelers_group posted this map of the
Bronx in 1942 which shows quite a number of pocket yards, 3 of which
appear to have circular freight houses:
http://www.historicmapworks.com/Sections/Maps/Browse_Atlases/ViewAtlasPl
atesUS-679-NY.htm
<http://www.historicmapworks.com/Sections/Maps/Browse_Atlases/ViewAtlasP
latesUS-679-NY.htm>

- Al Westerfield

.

<http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=2554753/grpspId=1705169725/m
sgId=69460/stime=1201574916/nc1=4430620/nc2=3848627/nc3=4763758>

The contents of the e-mail and any transmitted files are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. Transport for London hereby exclude any warranty and any liability as to the quality or accuracy of the contents of this email and any attached transmitted files. If you are not the intended recipient be advised that you have received this email in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this email is strictly prohibited., If you have received this email in error please notify postmaster@tfl.gov.uk., This email has been sent from Transport for London, or from one of the companies within its control within the meaning of Part V of the Local Government and Housing Act 1989. Further details about TfL and its subsidiary companies can be found at http://www.tfl.gov.uk/ourcompany, This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept for the presence of computer viruses.

Monk Alan <Alan.Monk@...>

Ah.. just answered my own question... plate 009
(http://www.historicmapworks.com/Sections/Maps/viewPlateUS-777.htm)
shows it as the Lehigh Valley's Bronx Terminal.

Can anyone point me in the direction of references for this please,
either print or online??

TIA,
Alan.

[...]

sgId=69470/stime=1201609694/nc1=4767086/nc2=3848614/nc3=4025291>

[...]

Malcolm Laughlin <mlaughlinnyc@...>

That brings back interesting memories. I recall in the 50'sa nd 60's looking down on the Harlem Transfer from an NYC commuter train and seeing that box cab diesel.

Both the CNJ and DL&W circular freight houses were homes for some of the earliest diesels, the Ingersoll Rand box cabs.

Malcolm Laughlin, Editor 617-489-4383
New England Rail Shipper Directories
19 Holden Road, Belmont, MA 02478

Westerfield <westerfield@...>

A photo of a box cab on 11th Avenue in Manhattan hauling LCL containers can be seen at: http://161.185.1.156/html/records/html/gallery/html/details.shtml?cat=street&imgname=bpm_1024b.jpg - Al Westerfield

Malcolm Laughlin <mlaughlinnyc@...>

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, " Westerfield" <westerfield@...> wrote:

A photo of a box cab on 11th Avenue in Manhattan hauling LCL
containers can be seen at:
http://161.185.1.156/html/records/html/gallery/html/details.shtml?
cat=street&imgname=bpm_1024b.jpg - Al Westerfield
=====

That is one of the NYC three-power units hauling a freight train before
the west side freight line was built. I see three gons with what look
like bulk containers at the head of the trains, but I don't think those
were LCL shipments.

The print is mislabeled. If that view is southeast, then it's a
westbound trains about to go for a swim. Interesting to find that on a
north-south street.

George R. Stilwell, Jr. <GRSJr@...>

There was a thread on the Lehigh Valley Forum detailing the Bronx terminal for modeling. Unfortunately,I can't seem to find it.

Ray Stilwell

Vincent Lee

Alan Monk wrote:

"Ah.. just answered my own question... plate 009
(http://www.historicmapworks.com/Sections/Maps/viewPlateUS-777.htm)
shows it as the Lehigh Valley's Bronx Terminal.

Can anyone point me in the direction of references for this please,
either print or online??"

There was a very thorough article on this yard by David Pearce & Ralph Heiss in the Rail Marine group's magazine " Transfer", Number 42.

The yard just north of this LV yard is the Erie RR's Harlem Station.

Vince Lee

Modeling the Erie Wyoming Division in Pennsylvania and
the Erie 28th Street Terminal in New York City
Please visit my website for eastern and western railfanning photos:
http://www.eastwestrails.com/

Be a better friend, newshound, and

benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@...>

Alan Monk asked:
"Can anyone point me in the direction of references for this please,
either print or online??"

Go to the Rail-Marine Information Group for starters:
http://www.trainweb.org/rmig/

Ben Hom

benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@...>

BTW, here's Tim Warris' blog documenting his efforts on building the
CNJ terminal:
http://www.bronx-terminal.com/

Ben Hom

Charlie Vlk

There was an extensive article on the Bronx freight house in Railway Age sometime in the 1898-1904 period. The Philadelphia Free Public Library has 15 bound volumes
in their collection and I stumbled across the article while looking for other items....sorry, didn't note the page and volume as it wasn't of interest to me at the time.
I believe it has shown up in some Model Railroader publications and lately one of the trackwork suppliers (jigs or materials??) had photos and a trackplan of a layout they
were building....
Charlie Vlk