GN 2500 aluminum box

destron@...

I picked up the CDS dry transfer set for the GN #2500 aluminum boxcar...
and now I'm wondering if anybody might suggest a way to model this car.

I'd also be curious to know how one might model one of the plywood-sided
cars like #44502.

On a final note... I've become a Pennsy modeler... (*burns with shame* ;)
). Picked up the Bowser X31f kit today.

Frank Valoczy
Vancouver, BC

-----
http://hydrorail.hostwq.net/index.html - Rails along the Fraser
http://hydrorail.rrpicturearchives.net/ - Rail Photos

benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@...>

Frank Valoczy asked:
"I picked up the CDS dry transfer set for the GN #2500 aluminum
boxcar...and now I'm wondering if anybody might suggest a way to
model this car."

GN 2500 is a bit of an oddball, even among other aluminum freight
cars of the time, which tended to be one-offs. This car is an
aluminum analog to GN's plywood boxcars being built at the same
time. The details:

- Built 11-1944
- Assigned to Express service; AB-1-B brakes, steam and signal lines
- 10 ft IH
- 8 panel sides, side sill resembles that of contemporary GN plywood
boxcars
- 4/5 Dreadnaught Ends
- Universal handbrake
- Apex brakestep
- 5/6/5 Camel door
- 8 rung ladders
- Murphy rectanguar panel roof
- Running board appears to be Morton (not indicated on my copy of
equipment diagram)
- Timken roller bearing trucks.

Prototype photo on page 10 of RP Cyc 8; the Fraternal Order of
Empire Builders (predecessor to the GN Historical Society) also
issued an information sheet years ago. The modeling recommendations
are OBE, but the sheet includes an equipment diagram and a broadside
GN publicity photograph (car reweighed 8-43).

Unfortunately, there is no "magic bullet" for modeling these cars -
it's easy enough to come up with a cabody with the same basic
dimensions, but the toughest part is coming up with the 8 panel
sides. The sides from the Tichy PMcK&Y/P&LE is one possibility, but
they may be too short in height. Another possible approach is the
one GN took - start with the Sunshine 79.1-79.4 series GN wartime
plywood kit and replacing the seam caps on the sides with rivet
lines.

"I'd also be curious to know how one might model one of the
plywood-sided cars like #44502."

Again, the Sunshine 79.x series kits. 79.1-79.4 model cars with
Dreadnaught ends; the rest of the kits model cars with Improved
Dreadnaught ends. See Jim Hayes' list for details.

Ben Hom

Bruce Smith

On Jan 29, 2008, at 6:14 AM, benjaminfrank_hom wrote:
"I'd also be curious to know how one might model one of the
plywood-sided cars like #44502."
Ben Hom replied

Again, the Sunshine 79.x series kits. 79.1-79.4 model cars with
Dreadnaught ends; the rest of the kits model cars with Improved
Dreadnaught ends. See Jim Hayes' list for details.
In addition, Intermountain has announced the release of these cars, and was showing a test shot at Cocoa Beach. Their web site lists a Jun/July release date.

Regards
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith
Auburn, AL

__
/ &#92;
| O--O &#92;0 0 0 0/ O--O | 0-0-0 0-0-0

Carl J. Marsico <Carlmarsico@...>

Didn't Sunshine do the GN #2500? I also thought I saw Intermountain announce the plywood-sided boxcars, too.

Finally, if you want to avoid Pennsy boxcars and stay within the steam era, you may want to consider modeling Hawaiian narrow gauge....

CJM

Carl Marsico wrote:
"Didn't Sunshine do the GN #2500? "

No. Sunshine did do various aluminum boxcars in the 63.x series, but
not GN 2500. See Jim Hayes' list in the files ection for details.

Ben Hom