Topics

Northern Pacific stock car(was weathering)

George Courtney

Follow up to an earlier post. In one of my videos on the Northern
Pacific (1950's with lots of New York Mills shots) it shows stock
cars with the slats filled with what appears to be unpainted 2x4's or
2x6's. I'd wondered if these were used for winter wheat?
A comment was made earlier about the NP keeping these cars clean
for livestock hauling. Any knowledge of grains being hauled in the
cars? Any other road fill in the slats of stock cars with 2 by's?
Thanks,
George Courtney

Steve SANDIFER

Roads lined the cars with cardboard and used them for grain movements.
______________
J. Stephen (Steve) Sandifer
mailto:steve.sandifer@sbcglobal.net

Follow up to an earlier post. In one of my videos on the Northern
Pacific (1950's with lots of New York Mills shots) it shows stock
cars with the slats filled with what appears to be unpainted 2x4's or
2x6's. I'd wondered if these were used for winter wheat?
A comment was made earlier about the NP keeping these cars clean
for livestock hauling. Any knowledge of grains being hauled in the
cars? Any other road fill in the slats of stock cars with 2 by's?
Thanks,
George Courtney

George Simmons

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Sandifer" <steve.sandifer@...>
wrote:

Roads lined the cars with cardboard and used them for grain
movements.
______________
Also, they were used for hauling cantaloupes and possibly other melon
to market.

George Simmons
Dry Prong, LA

bill_d_goat

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "George W Simmons" <GEORGESIMMONS@...>

wrote:

Roads lined the cars with cardboard and used them for grain
movements.
______________
Also, they were used for hauling cantaloupes and possibly other melon
to market.

George Simmons
Dry Prong, LA
Also freshly creosoted ties.
Bill Williams
Bush, LA

Jack Burgess

On the YV, gasoline in 55-gallon drums was shipped in YV stock cars to small
operations along the line (such as quarries) which did not need and/or
couldn't handle larger shipments of gasoline...

Jack Burgess
www.yosemitevalleyrr.com