Tank Car Unloading-LPG

boyds1949 <E27ca@...>

I was looking at a recent model railroad publication on building a
propane dealership and it said that the liquid propane was unloaded by
pumping air in the tank car to force the liquid propane out. Is that
correct? I would think that forcing air in a propane tank car would be
creating the perfect mix for a violent explosion. It would make sense
to pump propane gas into the tank. Does anyone know what they really
did?

John King

Perry Scheuerman <perry.scheuerman@...>

The pump pulls vapor from the top of the customer tank and pressures it back into the tank car.
Perry Scheuerman

boyds1949 <E27ca@earthlink.net> wrote:
I was looking at a recent model railroad publication on building a
propane dealership and it said that the liquid propane was unloaded by
pumping air in the tank car to force the liquid propane out. Is that
correct? I would think that forcing air in a propane tank car would be
creating the perfect mix for a violent explosion. It would make sense
to pump propane gas into the tank. Does anyone know what they really
did?

John King

---------------------------------

Gene Green <bierglaeser@...>

I just spoke by telephone with a gentleman who worked with my late
father at a propane terminal. (I just happened to be on the phone with
him for another reason when the message below popped up.)

Propane tank cars (currently, at least) are unloaded by pumping propane
vapors from an empty tank (fixed location tank, not tank car) into the
top of the tank car. The pressure forces the liquid propane up a
siphon, out the top of the car and into a pipe that connects to the
aforementioned tank where the vacuum created by pumping vapor into the
tank car sucks the liquid propane into the tank.

I dare not say, "This is the way it was always done" even though I
believe that to be the case.

By the way, Dad wrecked three propane tank cars about 10 years ago. He
was letting them roll down-grade to spot one for unloading. He was
relying on one hand brake to stop all three. It didn't. Dad's version
of the story included a hand brake that failed to work. This was
regular practice at this terminal - letting the cars roll down hill to
be spotted for unloading - except that it was supposed to be done one
car at a time, not three at a time with only one person present.

Gene Green
Out in the west Texas town of El Paso

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "boyds1949" <E27ca@...> wrote:

I was looking at a recent model railroad publication on building a
propane dealership and it said that the liquid propane was unloaded
by
pumping air in the tank car to force the liquid propane out. Is that
correct? I would think that forcing air in a propane tank car would
be
creating the perfect mix for a violent explosion. It would make
sense
to pump propane gas into the tank. Does anyone know what they really
did?

John King

MDelvec952

What era?

Today nitrogen is pumped into LPG cars to force the contents out.? Once empty, the cars are then depressured for transport.
?
Mike Del Vecchio

I was looking at a recent model railroad publication on building a
propane dealership and it said that the liquid propane was unloaded by
pumping air in the tank car to force the liquid propane out. Is that
correct? I would think that forcing air in a propane tank car would be
creating the perfect mix for a violent explosion. It would make sense
to pump propane gas into the tank. Does anyone know what they really
did?

John King

Steve Lucas <stevelucas3@...>

This gets me wondering--

Just when did propane come into common use on farms and homes?

Steve Lucas.

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, MDelvec952@... wrote:

[...]

Richard Hendrickson

On Feb 21, 2008, at 9:56 PM, Steve Lucas wrote:

Just when did propane come into common use on farms and homes?
LPG (propane and butane) came into limited use in the 1930s, mostly as
an industrial fuel, and a limited number of ICC-105 tank cars were
built to transport it. It became both more widely available and less
costly during World War II, as it was a by-product of the refining of
high octane aviation gasoline, and its use as a fuel for home and farm
use greatly increased after the war, especially in rural areas where
theere were no natural gas pipelines. LPG fuel dealers were
established all over North America, especially in smaller rural
communities, to receive rail shipments, store LPG, and transport it to
users by truck. Literally thousands of ICC-105 tank cars were built
from the mid-'40s to mid-'50s for this service, probably more than any
other types of tank cars during that period.

Richard Hendrickson

Steve Lucas <stevelucas3@...>

Thanks, Richard!! This is exactly what I wanted to know.

Steve Lucas.

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Richard Hendrickson <rhendrickson@...>