tools for building freight cars sorta of close to topic

Charles Hladik

Jon,
IIRC Sears has them in the Crafstman line, never have to buy another
again.

Chuck Hladik
Rutland Railroad
Virginia Division
NMRA L5756

2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)

Jon Miller <atsf@...>

I keep trying to find metric phillips screwdrivers in the 1mm and 2mm range. Typical screws used in our freight cars. Have done all the searching and only place I ever got one was a order to NZ and it came from Germany.
Help!

Jon Miller
AT&SF
For me time has stopped in 1941
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

Jack Burgess <jack@...>

I'm not sure about metric, but McMaster-Carr has phillips screw drivers down
to 000

http://www.mcmaster.com/

on catalog page 2779

Jack Burgess
www.yosemitevalleyrr.com

I keep trying to find metric phillips screwdrivers in the 1mm and 2mm
range. Typical screws used in our freight cars. Have done all the
searching and only place I ever got one was a order to NZ and it
came from
Germany.
Help!

Richard Dermody <ddermody@...>

Jon,

I don't believe such a beast exists. To my knowledge, the Philips spec defines the head only, while the thread can be US or metric, so what you really need is the Phillips size that fits the head on the screws you're using. McMaster-Carr lists both sets and individual drivers down to #000 size.

Dick

On Feb 21, 2008, at 12:46 PM, Jon Miller wrote:

I keep trying to find metric phillips screwdrivers in the 1mm and 2mm
range. Typical screws used in our freight cars. Have done all the
searching and only place I ever got one was a order to NZ and it came from
Germany.
Help!

Jon Miller
AT&SF
For me time has stopped in 1941
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

Yahoo! Groups Links

Carl J. Marsico <Carlmarsico@...>

I'll take it a step further and say that McMaster-Carr sells pretty much every tool you could think of.

Carl J. Marsico

Jack Burgess <jack@...> wrote:
I'm not sure about metric, but McMaster-Carr has phillips screw drivers down
to 000

http://www.mcmaster.com/

on catalog page 2779

Jack Burgess
www.yosemitevalleyrr.com

I keep trying to find metric phillips screwdrivers in the 1mm and 2mm
range. Typical screws used in our freight cars. Have done all the
searching and only place I ever got one was a order to NZ and it
came from
Germany.
Help!

Jon Miller <atsf@...>

Thanks to all.
I ordered some 2.0mm, 1.4mm, and 1.2mm.

Dennis Storzek <destorzek@...>

--- In STMFC@..., Richard Dermody <ddermody@...> wrote:

Jon,

I don't believe such a beast exists. To my knowledge, the Philips
spec defines the head only, while the thread can be US or metric, so
what you really need is the Phillips size that fits the head on the
screws you're using. McMaster-Carr lists both sets and individual
drivers down to #000 size.

Dick
Here's a conversion table, from Wikipedia:

American Metric
#000 1.4mm
#00 2.0mm
#0 2.5mm
#1 3.2mm

Hope the formatting holds up.

Dennis

Doug Brown <g.brown1@...>

I got a set of Radio Shack Kronus brand screwdrivers. It has three normal
flat blade and three Phillips with IIRC, #0, #00 and #000 for around $10.

Doug Brown

#000 1.4mm
#00 2.0mm
#0 2.5mm
#1 3.2mm

Hope the formatting holds up.

Dennis

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
11:05 AM

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
11:05 AM

Greg Martin

Checking my latest Harbor Freght catalog and sale flyer you can buy a complete set or just under 3 bucks. And thanks to Dennis' quick conversion you will find these in this set as well as others. Harbor Freight is online as well as local here in the west.

Greg Martin

#000 1.4mm
#00 2.0mm
#0 2.5mm
#1 3.2mm

Hope the formatting holds up.

Dennis

Jon Miller <atsf@...>

I buy from HF often and their sets are nowhere near the small metric sizes. Smallest I have from HF is 2.4mm.

and 1.2mm is #0000 ??????????????????

I'm not sure the conversion is correct but I believe a 1.2mm for example is for a 1.2mm screw. I'm not sure what a #00 or #000 matches as our screw size are usually 0-80 or 00-90 for small ones.
Anyway I have ordered and unless I get something different than I think I am getting I'm happy.

I do have a question for Tony however. As these screwdrivers usually have a cheap steel blade is there any way to harden them?

Jon Miller
AT&SF
For me time has stopped in 1941
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

devansprr

I do have a question for Tony however. As these screwdrivers
usually
have a cheap steel blade is there any way to harden them?
Home Depot carries a set by Rigid Tools - I bought one for computer
and telescope work. Appear to be hardened. Very nice, although not in
the $3 range. Think I paid around $12 for the three smallest phillips
(down to 000) and two very small flats.

Dave Evans

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Jon Miller wrote:
I do have a question for Tony however. As these screwdrivers usually have a cheap steel blade is there any way to harden them?
Yes, you're right, they use a much lower-carbon steel. But hardening them without grossly embrittling them is an exacting process, and in any case will have limitations. Trust me on this <g>.

Anthony Thompson
Dept. of Materials Science & Engineering
University of California, Berkeley
thompsonmarytony@...

Charles Hladik

Probably like a "drill bit" so they can be used as a back up corkscrew.
Chuck Hladik

2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)

Jon Miller <atsf@...>

I received my screwdrivers today and they appear to be exactly what I wanted. They are different than most I have seen. I'm not sure how to express this but if I put something flat across to top normally I would see about a 45/50 degree angle or so. These have about a 10/15 degree angle. They look kind of like a drill bit.
Quality looks good and they are made in France.

Jon Miller
AT&SF
For me time has stopped in 1941
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

Brian Paul Ehni <behni@...>

Got a link?
--
Thanks!

Brian Ehni

From: Jon Miller <atsf@...>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 16:13:52 -0800
To: <STMFC@...>
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Re: tools for building freight cars sorta of close to
topic

Chuck Hladik wrote:
Probably like a "drill bit" so they can be used as a back up corkscrew.
Wow! What brand 'a wine are you drinking?

Publishers of books on railroad history

rdietrichson

Gentlemen,
One source of tools, screws and all kinds of good stuff that I have
not seen mentioned in connection with this topic is Small Parts Inc.
They can be accessed at www.smallparts.com. They are extremely
reasonable and have a vast array of material.
Rick Dietrichson
Wilmington, NC

-- In STMFC@..., RUTLANDRS@... wrote:

Probably like a "drill bit" so they can be used as a back up corkscrew.
Chuck Hladik

**************Ideas to please picky eaters. Watch video on AOL
Living.
2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)