Al Kresse

From: anthony wagner <anycw1@...>
From Chicago too, When I was a yard clerk for the C&NW in the early 1970s at 40th St yard (now abandonned) Hall Printing used to ship Sears catalogs and Playboy magazines, among others, to the west coast in empty PFE reefers. As you can imagine no one in the yard office ever had to buy Playboy, compliments of Hall. Tony Wagner

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...> wrote: Ben Hom wrote (replying to Frank Valoczy):
"Not a ventilated car, but I was also very surprised to notice MDT
5659 with "merchandise," PFE 33196 with "magazines," and WFEX 66159
with "compound" - whatever that might be."

Again, not unusual at all.
Quite true. PFE had a substantial westbound loading pattern of
magazines, many from Philadelphia (think _Saturday Evening Post_). This
was at least as early as the 1920s and persisted into the 1960s.

Publishers of books on railroad history