SFRD Fan-Equipped Rr-30 RH Side Lettering

John Hile <john66h@...>

Hello All,

I am looking for information that will help me determine how the Santa
Fe would have located the dimensional and weight data on the RH
(non-fan) side of the fan-equipped (37365-37389) Rr-30's. If it
matters, I plan to paint my model as an early '53 repaint with
yellow-orange hardware and Ship & Travel slogan.

I realize the fan-equipped Rr-30's were somewhat unusual in that both
fan drives were on the LH side of the car (like the fan-equipped USRA
rebuild Rr-27's) thus displacing both the dimensional and weight data
on that side. So, my question is, was there any pattern to how the
dimensional and weight data were applied to the other (RH) side of the
cars? Were they typically in their "normal" non-fan locations?

I have a picture of the RH side of a fan-equipped Rr-27 in 1940 paint
showing the weight data in the "normal" location, yet the dimensional
data is shifted mid-car similar to the fan-side of the car.

Any help with this puzzle is greatly appreciated.

John Hile
Blacksburg, VA

Richard Hendrickson

On Feb 21, 2008, at 3:41 PM, John Hile wrote:

[...]

John, by early 1953 the mechanical fans originally fitted to SFRD
37365-37389 had been replaced with electric fans, and other cars in the
Rr-30 class had also received electric fans. I have a photo of SFRD
37315 with electric fans installed (and black-painted side hardware)
which I could scan for you if it would be useful.

Richard Hendrickson

John Hile <john66h@...>

--- In STMFC@..., Richard Hendrickson <rhendrickson@...>
wrote:

John, by early 1953 the mechanical fans originally fitted to SFRD
37365-37389 had been replaced with electric fans, and other cars in the
Rr-30 class had also received electric fans. I have a photo of SFRD
37315 with electric fans installed (and black-painted side hardware)
which I could scan for you if it would be useful.
Interesting. I had been working from info in the Jan. 1953 ORER that
listed 37365-37389 as the only fan equipped Rr-30's. Do you have any
info letting me know the time period over which the conversion to
electric fans took place? The point being, I would like to include
both a mechanical fan Rr-30 and a yellow-orange hardware Rr-30 on my
roster if it is appropriate for my modeling window of mid '52 to mid '53.

The SFMO Reefer Book (p. 215) has a photo of 37374 with what appear to
be the original mechanical fans, and a shop date of 4/50. I'm
wondering if a car such as this could have kept its mech. fans into
the second half of '52.

Sounds, however, like a car being shopped in early '53 and receiving
the yellow-orange hardware scheme would also receive the electric fans
at that time...if it had not received them already?

I appreciate the offer for the scan of 37315, but I may already have
the published version, if it is the Chet McCoid/Bob's RH-side shot in
1957. Since 37315 has a blk hardware scheme and electric fans, is it
appropriate to assume electric fan installations to previous non-fan
cars occurred as early as '47? Or, merely that the conversions could
occur without repainting the car?

Thanks in Advance,

John Hile
Blacksburg, VA

Richard Hendrickson

On Feb 22, 2008, at 6:29 AM, John Hile wrote:

Interesting. I had been working from info in the Jan. 1953 ORER that
listed 37365-37389 as the only fan equipped Rr-30's. Do you have any
info letting me know the time period over which the conversion to
electric fans took place? The point being, I would like to include
both a mechanical fan Rr-30 and a yellow-orange hardware Rr-30 on my
roster if it is appropriate for my modeling window of mid '52 to mid
'53.

The SFMO Reefer Book (p. 215) has a photo of 37374 with what appear to
be the original mechanical fans, and a shop date of 4/50. I'm
wondering if a car such as this could have kept its mech. fans into
the second half of '52.

Sounds, however, like a car being shopped in early '53 and receiving
the yellow-orange hardware scheme would also receive the electric fans
at that time...if it had not received them already?
Sorry to be slow in responding, John. I've been working against a
self-imposed deadline to get revisions finished for my presentation at
the Sunshine seminar in Pleasanton, CA on March 5.Now that the film is
on the way to the processors (yes, I haven't gone digital yet and I'm
still shooting slide film), I've had some time to do a little research
and I think I have the answer to your questions.
I have a Santa Fe Freight Car Folio page for the Rr-30 class,
originally dated 6/40, with revisions dated 11/43 and 12/60. It shows
series 37365-37389 as being equipped with mechanical fans - these are
the cars that got mechanical fans when built new in 1940 - and
37290-37364 as being equipped with electrical bulkhead fans. I assume
that 11/43 was the date when the information about the electrical fans
was added. So apparently all cars had fans during the period you
model, but the higher numbered cars in the class kept their mechanical
fans. Hope this helps.

Richard Hendrickson

John Hile <john66h@...>

--- In STMFC@..., Richard Hendrickson <rhendrickson@...>
wrote:
The delay is not a problem, Richard...I appreciate the tenacity!

I appreciate the info too, as this confirms for me I can model one of
the cars with original mechanical fans.

I am a little confused by the 11/43 electric fan install date though.
Prior to your response, I started digging into the ATSF Reefer Book,
the PFE book, and the Carbuilder's Cyclopedias to try and establish a
time-frame for electric fans.

Looking at PFE rebuilds and new cars, I did not find any references to
electric fans being installed prior to the early 1950's. The earliest
Santa Fe experiment with electric fans appears to date 1950, and the
1953 Carbuilders Cyc is the first time I see an ad for electric fans.

Thanks,
-John Hile

Richard Hendrickson

On Feb 27, 2008, at 11:33 AM, John Hile wrote:

I am a little confused by the 11/43 electric fan install date though.
Prior to your response, I started digging into the ATSF Reefer Book,
the PFE book, and the Carbuilder's Cyclopedias to try and establish a
time-frame for electric fans.

Looking at PFE rebuilds and new cars, I did not find any references to
electric fans being installed prior to the early 1950's. The earliest
Santa Fe experiment with electric fans appears to date 1950, and the
1953 Carbuilders Cyc is the first time I see an ad for electric fans.
You're quite right, and I see now that my post was misleading.
Electric fans didn't appear until ca. 1950. I meant to cite the 1943
date only as a revision date on the folio sheet, not to assert that
fans were in fact being applied at that time.

Richard Hendrickson