Silver Streak.

Malcolm Laughlin <mlaughlinnyc@...>

Thanks for the input on the reefers. I'll take a look at cutting them down to size and see if I feel it's within my cpapbilities (not nearly as good as many of you). It will be difficult with the cast ends, but would wooden end cars have still been around in the 50's ?

Malcolm Laughlin, Editor 617-489-4383
New England Rail Shipper Directories
19 Holden Road, Belmont, MA 02478

Richard Hendrickson

On Feb 23, 2008, at 7:05 PM, Malcolm Laughlin wrote:

Thanks for the input on the reefers. I'll take a look at cutting them
down to size and see if I feel it's within my cpapbilities (not nearly
as good as many of you). It will be difficult with the cast ends, but
would wooden end cars have still been around in the 50's ?
Sure, lots of them, though perhaps not with 1930s and '40s P/L schemes.

Richard Hendrickson

John Hile <john66h@...>

--- In STMFC@..., Malcolm Laughlin <mlaughlinnyc@...> wrote:

would wooden end cars have still been around in the 50's ?
Malcolm,

I have the following ACF Type III wood reefers with wood ends as still
around in the early 50's. This info is from photos in an Ed Hawkins
article, May 2000 issue of Railmodel Journal. This article discusses
the Branchline kits for these cars, and I must add that I do not know
how accurately the Silver Streak cars represent the ACF cars...merely
supplying info on wood-end reefers still around in the 1950's.

Photo of URTX 7578 (series 7000-7699) with MILW herald circa 1951.
See also Branchline model 1213.

Photos of NWX 5106 (4000-5499) in 1956, NWX 15412 in 1953 and 15344 in
1968 (15000-15499). All three of these cars are in the yellow and
green scheme.

Photo of URTX 1560 (1500-1699) in 1948 with NKP markings. See also
Branchline model 1214. Jan '53 ORER lists 54 cars remaining in this
series at that time.

Photo of WRX 9405 (9000-9499) in 1964 with GBW logo to right of doors,
sans-serif lettering. See also Branchline model 9009.

Hope this is helpful,

John Hile
Blacksburg, VA

Malcolm Laughlin <mlaughlinnyc@...>

Thanks John. Now it's just a question of do I have enough ambition to tackle this one.

Malcolm Laughlin, Editor 617-489-4383
New England Rail Shipper Directories
19 Holden Road, Belmont, MA 02478

Schuyler Larrabee

Your club-mates are watching, Malcolm!

SGL

Thanks John. Now it's just a question of do I have enough ambition to tackle this one.

Malcolm Laughlin

Malcolm Laughlin <mlaughlinnyc@...>

Your club-mates are watching, Malcolm!
SGL

Thanks John. Now it's just a question of do I have enough ambition to tackle this one.
Malcolm Laughlin

Please don't count the rivets when my D&RGW "Cookie Box" comes through your yard.

Malcolm Laughlin, Editor 617-489-4383
New England Rail Shipper Directories
19 Holden Road, Belmont, MA 02478

Mark Mathu

John Hile wrote:

I have the following ACF Type III wood reefers with wood ends as
still around in the early 50's. [...snip...]
Photo of WRX 9405 (9000-9499) in 1964 with GBW logo to right of
doors, sans-serif lettering.
Here's an image of WRX 9785 in revenue service and still with wood
ends in 1968:
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=69303

____
Mark Mathu
Whitefish Bay, Wis.

Philip Marcus

--- In STMFC@..., "Mark Mathu" <mark@...> wrote:

John Hile wrote:

I have the following ACF Type III wood reefers with wood ends as
still around in the early 50's. [...snip...]
Photo of WRX 9405 (9000-9499) in 1964 with GBW logo to right of
doors, sans-serif lettering.
Here's an image of WRX 9785 in revenue service and still with wood
ends in 1968:
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=69303

____
Mark Mathu
Whitefish Bay, Wis.
An interesting looking car. Does anyone know its history?

Phil Marcus

Gene Green <bierglaeser@...>

And it has the Klasing hand brake Richard Hendrickson described in
Message #70558.

Gene Green

Phil Marcus wrote:

Photo of WRX 9405 (9000-9499) in 1964 with GBW logo to
right of doors, sans-serif lettering.
Here's an image of WRX 9785 in revenue service and still
with wood ends in 1968:
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=69303
An interesting looking car. Does anyone know its history?

I was hoping someone else would be able to step in with a definitive
history, but lacking that here's what I've been able to deduce:

This car was part of the original Western refrigerator Lines (WRX
9000-9499, 500 cars) built by AC&F in 1929. As far as I can tell WRX
never acquired any more wood reefers and only a handful of newer steel
cars so this car was from the original order.

Over time wood cars in the 9000-9499 series were assigned new numbers
above 9500 as they were rebuilt with different insulation or doors,
rebuilt with steel sides (see http://tinyurl.com/yvhzz2 for a rebuilt
WRX reefer), or assigned to specific shippers.

Specifically this car was part of WRX 9776 to 9799 in 1968 (20 cars,
with a few more added in the early 1970s) --- RBLs described as
"specially equipped with loading bulkheads" in Official Railway
Equipment Registers of the time. The last car in this series was
retired in 1975.

Corrections or further info is greatly appreciated.

Mark Mathu
Whitefish Bay, Wis.
The Green Bay Route: http://www.greenbayroute.com/