Mystery Gons

Douglas Harding <dharding@...>

I need some help identifying some 1920's vintage freight cars. I have
created a new photo album, labeled "mystery gons", and loaded two photos.
They are of a wreak on a trestle near London Mills, Ill. Taken sometime in
the 20's it is believed. It is believed the wreak was on the Fulton Co
Narrow Gauge line, after the CB&Q standard guaged the track. They had a
crossing over the Spoon River just north of London Mills, which had a long
trestle. The first photo shows what appears to be a steel sided drop bottom
gon, with a flat steel end with two vertical supports. The second photo
shows the steel side of a car with numerous steel supports and a letter O or
Q on the side. I think it is a gon, but can't really tell. Any help would be
appreicated.

Doug Harding
www.iowacentralrr.org

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
9:08 AM

Douglas Harding <dharding@...>

I see the photos of these mystery gons were finally approved. I am looking
for information on the manufacture of these cars. The ends on the drop
bottom in photo #1 has me wondering, as well as the side stake spacing in
photo #2. The photos are in the "mystery gons" photo album.

Doug Harding
www.iowacentralrr.org

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
8:35 AM

water.kresse@...

Great pictures!! I thought I was the only one who couldn't find them posted. Fine mess I would say?

Al Kresse

From: "Douglas Harding" <dharding@...>

I see the photos of these mystery gons were finally approved. I am looking
for information on the manufacture of these cars. The ends on the drop
bottom in photo #1 has me wondering, as well as the side stake spacing in
photo #2. The photos are in the "mystery gons" photo album.

Doug Harding
www.iowacentralrr.org

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
8:35 AM

Yahoo! Groups Links

Charlie Vlk

Doug-

The Hell with the steel drop-bottom gons..... look at the Waycar in the far corner of the picture!!!
It appears to have a full window on the side beyond the cupola in what, on a normal car, would
be the "dry hopper". The posted photo isn't sharp enough, when I zoom in on it, to be able to
tell if the car has a radial roof like a normal waycar or if it has a peaked roof....maybe it is one
of the NE-5 cars rebuilt during WWI from boxcars? Or just an oddball?
It appears to have a normal standard Q cupola, although the plane of the side seems to continue
down through the facsia to the body...the smoke jack/stove are on the left side of the car and it
looks to be 30' with No.7 trucks and a "possum belly" tool box. The car is also very light in color
when compared to the work gon, flat and crane coupled ahead of it.... maybe yellow???

re: the Gondolas... the Q had a fleet of steel, drop bottom gondolas and were very late (1937) to sampling
hopper cars for coal service. The GS steel gons did not last as long as their USRA composite cars
and clones (most were gone by the end of the depression??.....some had their underframes
recyclyed ("reclaimed" in Q parlance) under SM18 stock cars). The composite clones, by contrast, lasted
into and beyond the BN era, at least in MOW service.

The only car that matches the two-vertical rib end configuration without any slotted door mechanism
tracks is the GA-1 class 40' 100m Steel Gondola Car.
There were two groups of them in the 1930 Diagram Book:
79000-80999 1984 Pg78 GA-1 Std. Stl. Car Co. 1907 Truck No.31 Genl Drwg 1666 16 Drop Doors
82000-82999 889 Pg78 GA-1 Std. Stl. Car Co. 1906-7 Truck No.31 Genl Drwg 1666 16 Drop Doors

I am guessing that the car in the second picture is a B&O hopper car... there are too many ribs for a CB&Q steel gon
and the lettering is in the wrong position for a Q car.

Charlie Vlk

James D Thompson <jaydeet@...>

I am guessing that the car in the second picture is a B&O hopper car...
The lettering looks to me like a pre-WWI C&O gondola; can't see enough of the car to suggest anything more than a high 20000s or mid 30000s series.

David Thompson