AAMX 2002 (was Re: fallen flags site)

benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@...>

Carl Marsico wrote:
"On the topic of Steam Era cars photographed in the 60's, anyone have
any information regarding this one? (AAMX 2002) Here's the link:
http://railroad.union.rpi.edu/displayimage.php?i=19295

This is clearly a USRA DS boxcar; however, I've never been able to
track down the lineage of this car. At some point, its lower door
track rollers were replaced; the only cars I've seen with this feature
are some Frisco cars, but this is a tenuous connection onwhich to base
assumptions.

Ben Hom

Carl J. Marsico <Carlmarsico@...>

Ben,

Good observation with the lower door track rollers. Any idea as to the use of this car subsequent to AAMX ownership, or dates of ownership? The topic of the Ertl cars and the other posts from today got my gears rolling again with this car as a potential project.

CJM

benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
Carl Marsico wrote:
"On the topic of Steam Era cars photographed in the 60's, anyone have
any information regarding this one? (AAMX 2002) Here's the link:
http://railroad.union.rpi.edu/displayimage.php?i=19295

This is clearly a USRA DS boxcar; however, I've never been able to
track down the lineage of this car. At some point, its lower door
track rollers were replaced; the only cars I've seen with this feature
are some Frisco cars, but this is a tenuous connection onwhich to base
assumptions.

Ben Hom

Steve Lucas <stevelucas3@...>

AAMX are the reporting marks of Andrew Merrillees, Limited, of
Toronto, Ontario. They are still in business today, still selling
mostly used railway equipment.

http://www.merrilees.com/about.html

Steve Lucas.

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Carl J. Marsico" <Carlmarsico@...>

benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@...> wrote:
Carl Marsico wrote:
"On the topic of Steam Era cars photographed in the 60's, anyone
have
any information regarding this one? (AAMX 2002) Here's the link:
http://railroad.union.rpi.edu/displayimage.php?i=19295

This is clearly a USRA DS boxcar; however, I've never been able to
track down the lineage of this car. At some point, its lower door
track rollers were replaced; the only cars I've seen with this
feature
are some Frisco cars, but this is a tenuous connection onwhich to
base
assumptions.

Ben Hom

Richard Hendrickson

On Feb 28, 2008, at 9:32 PM, Steve Lucas wrote:

AAMX are the reporting marks of Andrew Merrillees, Limited, of
Toronto, Ontario. They are still in business today, still selling
mostly used railway equipment.

http://www.merrilees.com/about.html
The late Andrew Merrillees was a demon collector of railroad photos and
artifacts. He made a lot of money trading in second-hand ships, as
well as railroad equipment, and In his day he generated a lot of
resentment among other collectors by sending deputies to railroadiana
sales and auctions with instructions to outbid every other buyer. As a
result he had a monumental collection which went to the National
Archives of Canada when he died. Some of us on this list have mined
the NAC archives and come up with a lot of buried treasure. Among
other things, Merrillees bought from Simmons-Boardman the old photo
files of the 1930s and '40s Car Builders Cyclopedias, so NAC now has
the original prints of the images that appeared in those volumes.

Richard Hendrickson

Steve Lucas <stevelucas3@...>

Andrew Merilees was a very interesting character, indeed. According
to one Ontario Archives staff memeber, he had promised the Archives
of Ontario his material, but all that they got was a handful of
photos compared with what he gave the National Archives. Last time
that I looked, the Merrilees fonds in the archives of Canada were
STILL being catalogued. To appreciate the size of the Merrilees
collection, see--

http://mikan3.archives.ca/pam/public_mikan/index.php?
fuseaction=genitem.displayItem&lang=fre&rec_nbr=102280&rec_nbr_list=28
96273,2894469,3289092

And as Richard alludes to, the Merrilees collection is a major source
of builder's photos and car info from both sides of the border. At
least two books (on CN passenger equipment) have been produced from
manuscripts of Andrew Merrilles.

We are VERY fortunate to have this info available.

Steve Lucas.

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Richard Hendrickson