SLSF 6000 end photo - what are these?

Dean Payne

I found the following photo of a Frisco car with some things on the
end that I just can't identify:

http://thelibrary.springfield.missouri.org/lochist/frisco/friscoline/images/photos/p01756.jpg

There is a device of some sort right under the running board, but this
is the A end, so it doesn't appear to be brake related.
Also, the right side appears to have something riveted onto the side
to the right of the tack board. Any idea what these are?
There are also other interesting photos of freight cars, etc., here:

http://thelibrary.springfield.missouri.org/lochist/frisco/friscoline/rolling.cfm

Dean Payne

Michael Aufderheide

Dean,

Thanks for the site. Many interesting photos. I found the rest of this car here:

http://thelibrary.springfield.missouri.org/lochist/frisco/friscoline/images/photos/p01760.jpg

It is an "impact demonstration car." Maybe it is a power connection for lights or equipment?

Regards,

Mike Aufderheide

Dean Payne <1payne1@windstream.net> wrote:
I found the following photo of a Frisco car with some things on the
end that I just can't identify:

http://thelibrary.springfield.missouri.org/lochist/frisco/friscoline/images/photos/p01756.jpg

There is a device of some sort right under the running board, but this
is the A end, so it doesn't appear to be brake related.
Also, the right side appears to have something riveted onto the side
to the right of the tack board. Any idea what these are?
There are also other interesting photos of freight cars, etc., here:

http://thelibrary.springfield.missouri.org/lochist/frisco/friscoline/rolling.cfm

Dean Payne

---------------------------------

Richard Hendrickson

On Mar 2, 2008, at 8:51 AM, Dean Payne wrote:

I found the following photo of a Frisco car with some things on the
end that I just can't identify:

http://thelibrary.springfield.missouri.org/lochist/frisco/friscoline/
images/photos/p01756.jpg

There is a device of some sort right under the running board, but this
is the A end, so it doesn't appear to be brake related.
Also, the right side appears to have something riveted onto the side
to the right of the tack board. Any idea what these are?
Dean, 6000 wasn't a revenue service number; this car must have been a
former single-sheathed box car equipped for MW or some other sort of
company service. The "device" under the running board was an
electrical conduit and shielded connector plug. The protuberance to
the right of the placard board is anybody's guess; a side view photo of
this car would doubtless reveal what it was.

Richard Hendrickson

John Sanders

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Richard Hendrickson <rhendrickson@...>
wrote:

[...]

This is an end view of the Impact Demonstration car built from, as
Richard said, one of the single-sheathed car. Look in the Equipment
section of the web site for the side view. One of the early 1950s
issues of the company magazine had a color photo of the newly
converted car. The conversion and photos were made at the
Springfield North Shops.

John Sanders
Springfield, MO