New Atlas Model: 1932 ARA Boxcar, HO Scale

Mark Heiden

Hello everyone,

Atlas has announced a new, HO scale model of the 1932 ARA boxcar. Pre-
production photos and available roadnames can be found at:

http://www.atlasrr.com/HOFreight/ho1932boxcar.htm

Be interesting to see how they turn out.

Mark Heiden

Tom Madden <tgmadden@...>

Atlas has announced a new, HO scale model of the 1932 ARA boxcar. Pre-
production photos and available roadnames can be found at:

http://www.atlasrr.com/HOFreight/ho1932boxcar.htm

Be interesting to see how they turn out.

Mark Heiden
See Terry Link's message 67244 and followups from last October.

Tom Madden

ed_mines

Seems a little pricy, particularly when there are similar, less
expensive versions of similar cars.

Ed

Brian J Carlson <brian@...>

Ed Mines said:

Seems a little pricy, particularly when there are similar, less
expensive versions of similar cars.
Where? The only 1932 ARA cars I am aware of are the resin offerings from F&C
and Sunshine. Granted F&C can be bought cheaper at shows but I don't
consider the Atlas prices excessive for RTR plastic.

Brian Carlson

Bruce Smith

On Mar 4, 2008, at 11:11 AM, ed_mines wrote:

Seems a little pricy, particularly when there are similar, less
expensive versions of similar cars.
What cars are you thinking of? The only other 1932 ARA cars I'm aware of in HO are the resin kits by Sunshine and F&C and at least for the Sunshine kits, their price is comparable to the Atlas RTR price.

Regards
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith
Auburn, AL

__
/ &#92;
| O--O &#92;0 0 0 0/ O--O | 0-0-0 0-0-0

Carl J. Marsico <Carlmarsico@...>

IMHO, the newly-tooled Athearn RTR cars have better "detail to cost" ratio than alot of the recent Atlas "non-Trainman" offerings.

CJM

Brian J Carlson <brian@...> wrote:
Ed Mines said:

Seems a little pricy, particularly when there are similar, less
expensive versions of similar cars.
Where? The only 1932 ARA cars I am aware of are the resin offerings from F&C
and Sunshine. Granted F&C can be bought cheaper at shows but I don't
consider the Atlas prices excessive for RTR plastic.

Brian Carlson

seaboard_1966

Here is one for the SAL fans out there. WrightTRAK is going to have the vents for modelers who wish to build some SAL ventilated express cars. These are Wine Vents and will be good for many other uses as well.

Denis Blake
Marysville, OH

On Mar 4, 2008, at 11:11 AM, ed_mines wrote:

Seems a little pricy, particularly when there are similar, less
expensive versions of similar cars.
What cars are you thinking of? The only other 1932 ARA cars I'm
aware of in HO are the resin kits by Sunshine and F&C and at least
for the Sunshine kits, their price is comparable to the Atlas RTR price.

Regards
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith
Auburn, AL

__
/ &#92;
| O--O &#92;0 0 0 0/ O--O | 0-0-0 0-0-0

Yahoo! Groups Links

John Hile <john66h@...>

I did a little research on these back in December and came up with the
following notes. Additional info is always appreciated.

C.G. 4000-4499, 488 cars 1/53, miner hb, spring-plankless truck
(tichy/life-like), no poling pocket tabs

CRR 5000-5249, 246 cars 1/53, klasing hb, spring-plankless truck
(intermountain), poling pockets & tabs

I-GN 17001-17300, 265 50t cars & 31 40t cars 1/53, universal hb,
spring-plankless truck (tichy/life-like), end tabs but no poling
pockets, union duplex door hardware

MEC 4248-4499, 247 cars 1/53, ajax hb, cast steel truck w/spring plank
(atlas?)

WRTCo 900-919, 20 cars 1/53, ureco hb, cast steel truck w/spring plank
(atlas?) no poling pocket tabs, 6" greater center-to-center truck spacing

The CRR model on the Atlas site appears to match the notes above with
the exception of the hand brake and trucks...miner? and cast steel
with spring plank on the model. I am curious to see if the WRTCo car
will have the wider truck spacing.

-John Hile

SUVCWORR@...

In a message dated 3/4/2008 12:37:04 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
smithbf@... writes:

What cars are you thinking of? The only other 1932 ARA cars I'm
aware of in HO are the resin kits by Sunshine and F&C and at least
for the Sunshine kits, their price is comparable to the Atlas RTR price.

Bruce,

Since the photos are no longer on Atlas web site, how close is this to the
PRR X35?

Rich Orr

ed_mines

--- In STMFC@..., "Brian J Carlson" <brian@...> wrote:
Where? The only 1932 ARA cars I am aware of are the resin offerings
from F&C
and Sunshine.
For the car with a rectangular panel Murphy roof I meant Athearn,
Intermountain & Red Caboose and for the flat panel roof I meant Red
Caboose.

Members of our group might pay a premium for a slightly different car.
I wonder if the average model railroader would.

I guess you're right though; an assembled Intermountain box car costs
as much.

Ed

benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@...>

Ed Mines wrote:
"For the car with a rectangular panel Murphy roof I meant Athearn,
Intermountain & Red Caboose and for the flat panel roof I meant Red
Caboose."

NONE of these models are 1932 ARA boxcars, though. And I'm wondering
what model you're calling the Red Caboose flat panel roof boxcar. If
you mean the PRR Class X29/1923 proposed ARA boxcar, that's NOT a 1932
ARA boxcar either. What's your point?

Ben Hom

Tim O'Connor

Ben is quite right that the 1932 design is distinctly different from
the earlier, and later, all-steel cars. For my part I have no use for it,
since I have kits from Sunshine for several prototype cars, and in
my experience, very few plastic kits can hold a candle to Frank
Hodina's resin work. But I'm sure these will be popping up on
steam era club layouts since they are very appropriate.

The Atlas drawings look kinda clunky -- almost like 3-rail cars
scaled down, or N-scale cars scaled up. Has anyone seen an
actual model or at least a test shot?

From: "ed_mines" <ed_mines@...>

Members of our group might pay a premium for a slightly different car.
I wonder if the average model railroader would.

Ed Hawkins

On Mar 4, 2008, at 1:02 PM, John Hile wrote:

I did a little research on these back in December and came up with the
following notes. Additional info is always appreciated.
John,
In case you aren't aware, Ted Culotta published a thoroughly researched
267-page book on the subject of these box cars. It contains builder's
photos, in-service photos, information on the appliances, paint specs
to the extent they were available, etc.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

SUVCWORR@...

In a message dated 3/4/2008 6:30:05 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
atsf@... writes:

The Clinchfield car which is the test shot looks good for the top
picture on page 94 of Ted's book. Something looks wrong about the truck
compared to the picture.
While the 8-37 data is good for me the date on the Atlas car is
unreadable to me but it looked like 8-47 (hope not).

The photo is gone. If you right click where it should be and check the
properties, you will see that it is unavailable.

Rich Orr

John Hile <john66h@...>

--- In STMFC@..., Ed Hawkins <hawk0621@...> wrote:

Ted Culotta published a thoroughly researched
267-page book on the subject of these box cars.
Thanks Ed, I have Ted's book on the shelf, and used it as my primary
source. My post was mostly about seeing if anyone else was comparing
the Atlas car to its prototypes, anticipating what modifications may
be required, etc.

-John Hile

SUVCWORR@...

In a message dated 3/4/2008 8:37:27 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
behni@... writes:

just saw it at the link provided. Check your browser settings. Here's the
link again:
http://www.atlasrr.com/HOFreight/ho1932boxcar.htm

OK I used Mozzila and it worked another AOL snafu.

SUVCWORR@...

In a message dated 3/4/2008 9:25:00 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
smithbf@... writes:

Ben, Rich,

Well, not exactly <G>. PRR 36986 began life as ARA #3, of which there
are 3 very nice photos in Ted's book. Among the issues would be the brake
reservoir and brake wheel. ARA #3 had a geared vertical shaft wheel and
an early transverse reservoir. The #3 had Camel lift type door hardware,
which appears to be what is on the CRR model. #3 also had a Hutchins all
steel dry lading roof with rectangular panels and a 4-4 dreadnaught ends
which appear to match the CRR model.

I would note however that the CRR model on the Atlas page is described as
a "pre-production mock-up" NOT a "test shot", indicating that this model
may not be a "test shot" and may not resemble the final product in some or
many details. Thus to be making ANY kind of judgement on the basis of
this photograph is simply foolish ;^)

Thanks, Bruce and Ben.

Rich

Jon Miller <atsf@...>

Has anyone seen an
actual model or at least a test shot?<

There is a test shot on the Atlas site.

Jon Miller
AT&SF
For me time has stopped in 1941
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

Jon Miller <atsf@...>

The Clinchfield car which is the test shot looks good for the top picture on page 94 of Ted's book. Something looks wrong about the truck compared to the picture.
While the 8-37 data is good for me the date on the Atlas car is unreadable to me but it looked like 8-47 (hope not).

http://www.atlasrr.com/HOFreight/ho1932boxcar.htm

Jon Miller
AT&SF
For me time has stopped in 1941
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@...>

Rich Orr asked:
"Since the photos are no longer on Atlas web site, how close is this
to the PRR X35?"

Rich, that's a loaded question, as no photos of PRR 36986, the single
Class X35 have surfaced. The class diagram shows a car with 4/4
Dreadnaught ends and a flat panel roof, but as you well know, basing
an answer on this is questionable at best.
http://prr.railfan.net/freight/PRRdiagrams.html?diag=x35.gif&fr=cl

Ben Hom