Santa Fe Hopper cars

rdietrichson

Hi guys,
I'm trying to determine if any of the two bay or three bay open top
hoppers were used by the Santa Fe in the early 50's to transport
aggregate or ballast on the Valley division. I know there was some
discussion about coal hauling, but am wondering if these cars found
other uses out west.
Thanks for any help.
Rick Dietrichson
Wilmington, NC

Richard Hendrickson

On Mar 5, 2008, at 7:28 PM, rdietrichson wrote:

Hi guys,
I'm trying to determine if any of the two bay or three bay open top
hoppers were used by the Santa Fe in the early 50's to transport
aggregate or ballast on the Valley division. I know there was some
discussion about coal hauling, but am wondering if these cars found
other uses out west.
Thanks for any help.
Rick Dietrichson
Rick, the Santa Fe's cross hoppers were used mostly in coal service,
and therefore seldom appeared on the Coast Lines. The exception was
that some Ga-60 and Ga-62 class War Emergency composite hoppers were
used in California to transport sulfur, as their wood side sheathing
and slope sheets resisted corrosion. Aggregate and ballast were
carried almost entirely in either Caswell drop bottom gondolas or in
Hart Selective ballast hoppers, of which the Santa Fe owned several
classes.

Richard Hendrickson