car condition on 31 August 57

Schuyler Larrabee

On that date, would

CNW 7870 and SP 102117

Have been properly fitted for the carriage of cattle? As livestock, that is?

SGL

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Schuyler Larrabee wrote:
On that date, would
CNW 7870 and SP 102117
Have been properly fitted for the carriage of cattle? As livestock, that is?
The SP number is a steel box car. Cattle?

Publishers of books on railroad history

Jack Mullen

Schuyler Larrabee wrote:

On that date, would

CNW 7870 and SP 102117

Have been properly fitted for the carriage of cattle? As livestock,
that is?

SGL
Probably not. CNW 7870 was a 40' PS-1 box. I don't have a 1957 ORER
handy to check what special equipment it might have had, but I'd
rather not try to imagine how it could have been fitted for cattle. ;)

Jack Mullen

Schuyler Larrabee

Earlier I asked:

Jack Mullen said:
Probably not. CNW 7870 was a 40' PS-1 box. I don't have a 1957 ORER handy to check what special
equipment it might have had, but I'd rather not try to imagine how it could have been fitted for
cattle. ;)

OK, here's why I asked: On the erielack list, a consist was posted for train 11 on that date, as
follows:
Train 12 (Marion to Youngstown)

1140 (Passenger Baldwin)
CNW 7870 and SP 102117 (Stock cars for cattle pick-up at Galion from NYC)
Erie 538 (Storage mail)
Erie 505 (Express)
Erie 500 (Express)
Erie 535 (Dead Head to be set off at Akron) p
Erie 2309 (Rider) Erie 221 (A pick-up at Galion)

Total: 8 cars

This is a mid-summer, non-holiday consist. I can't find any listing for stock cars with those
numbers in my ORER, so I don't know what they are. 500 and 505 are two Stillwell express cars.
2309 is one of the 60' arch-window Stillwell commuter coaches.

In this consist, they are listed as "Stock cars." Any thoughts about how to interpret this? It
IS< a second-hand document that's quoted.
SGL

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Schuyler Larrabee wrote:
On the erielack list, a consist was posted for train 11 on that date, as follows:
Train 12 (Marion to Youngstown)
1140 (Passenger Baldwin)
CNW 7870 and SP 102117 (Stock cars for cattle pick-up at Galion from NYC)
This is a mid-summer, non-holiday consist. I can't find any listing for stock cars with those
numbers in my ORER, so I don't know what they are.
In this consist, they are listed as "Stock cars." Any thoughts about how to interpret this? It IS a second-hand document that's quoted.
Neither one of them WAS a stock car in the livestock sense, then or later. They may have meant some other kind of stock, e.g. merchandise. But those ain't what we call stock cars.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Malcolm Laughlin <mlaughlinnyc@...>

In this consist, they are listed as "Stock cars." Any thoughts about how to interpret this? It
IS< a second-hand document that's quoted.
SGL
----------------

I can think of four possibilities, none of which was unusual in 1957.

1. Wrong car number.
2. A wrong initial
3. Illegible initial
4. Wrong car type/

Malcolm Laughlin, Editor 617-489-4383
New England Rail Shipper Directories
19 Holden Road, Belmont, MA 02478

Bruce Smith

On Tue, March 18, 2008 9:14 pm, Malcolm Laughlin wrote:
I can think of four possibilities, none of which was unusual in 1957.

1. Wrong car number.
2. A wrong initial
3. Illegible initial
4. Wrong car type/
To that, why don't we add #5. boxcar being used temporarily to haul stock.

We've seen examples of this discussed on this list of boxcars in Miami,
unloading stock onto an airplane for a relief flight.

Regards
Bruce

Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL