Topics

HO screen material

lnnrr <lnnrr@...>

I'm wanting to put window screens on some HO MoW camp cars.
Any suggestions for something that would give that screen look?
Chuck Peck

Richard Hendrickson

On Mar 23, 2008, at 12:50 PM, lnnrr wrote:

I'm wanting to put window screens on some HO MoW camp cars.
Any suggestions for something that would give that screen look?
Chuck Peck
Stretch part of a women's nylon stocking over a box lid or other frame.
Paint it an appropriate color and blow any excess paint off with an
air brush. Let dry. Cut to fit. I've made caboose window screens
this way and am satisfied with their appearance.

Richard Hendrickson

Schuyler Larrabee

On Mar 23, 2008, at 12:50 PM, lnnrr wrote:

I'm wanting to put window screens on some HO MoW camp cars.
Any suggestions for something that would give that screen look?
Chuck Peck
Stretch part of a women's nylon stocking over a box lid or other frame.
Paint it an appropriate color and blow any excess paint off with an
air brush. Let dry. Cut to fit. I've made caboose window screens
this way and am satisfied with their appearance.

Richard Hendrickson
Another technique is to use silk screening material, which comes in a range of grid sizes. It can
be glued to a styrene frame by putting the frame on top of the material, on top of something like
mat board, with a small weight on it to make everything flat, and flooding it with liquid cement.
When dry, cut next to the outside of the frame with a vertically oriented razor blade. It works for
me.

SGL

Michael Watnoski

Hi Chuck,

Try some fine mesh silkscreen material.

Michael

From: "lnnrr" <lnnrr@yahoo.com>
I'm wanting to put window screens on some HO MoW camp cars.
Any suggestions for something that would give that screen look?
Chuck Peck

Rob & Bev Manley

Chuck,
Back iun the day when I was a tradesman we used to use acetate screens for printing to create or fake pantone clors. These sheets would have soft edged black dots arranged in a cross diagonal pattern and at 133, 200 or 300 lines per inch. This equatess to pixels on todays computers. I used these printer (tint) screens to simulate a screened in porch and windows on a Q waycar on the Mod-U-Trak Layout. When you viewed the porch on an angle you could actually see a moire` from the east and west windows.
If you know any printers they would give these screens away as they are no longer needed. They are on a sheet of acetate so it would be very easy to trim and mount with Aileens craft glue. They also darken the windows in back of them like a real screen.

Happy Easter,
Rob Manley

I'm wanting to put window screens on some HO MoW camp cars.
Any suggestions for something that would give that screen look?
Chuck Peck

Bill Darnaby

I have made easy caboose door screen with .005 clear styrene. Sand the material in a criscross pattern to dull it and make it slightly opaque. Then glue on prepainted door framing made of styrene 1 by stock.

Bill Darnaby

W.R.Dixon

william darnaby wrote:
I have made easy caboose door screen with .005 clear styrene. Sand the material in a criscross pattern to dull it and make it slightly opaque. Then glue on prepainted door framing made of styrene 1 by stock.
Bill Darnaby
You might also check holiday ribbons. They often have fine mesh sections that are use able as screen material.

Bill Dixon

Steve Lucas <stevelucas3@...>

I used 200-grit sandpaper to score lines on clear styrene sheet. I
first rubbed the sandpaper once vertically, and then once horizontally
on the styrene. The resulting scratches are flooded with diluted flat
black paint. The paint is wiped carefully with a facial tissue before
it can dry, leaving the appearance of screen material on the styrene
sheet.

Steve Lucas.

Jared Harper <harper-brown@...>

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "lnnrr" <lnnrr@...> wrote:

I'm wanting to put window screens on some HO MoW camp cars.
Any suggestions for something that would give that screen look?
Chuck Peck
Very fine screen is available from Small Parts online. I have some
that I use for window and door screens in HO. It is used for filters
in the medical field.
Jared Harper
Athens, GA