alternative uses for ore hoppers

gn3397 <heninger@...>

Group,
Just to add a couple of comments on ore cars as used on the GN:
Not only did the ore cars spend half their active life running empty,
they spent half the year sitting idle, as the shipping (no pun
intended) season for ore ran from approximately April to Oct/Nov during
much of the steam era.

On the GN, the ore "jennies", as they were called, were also pressed
into service for the sugar beet rush during the late fall/early winter
timeframe. Of course, they were inefficient, but when GN was short of
GS gons or hoppers, they were used. I haven't been able to find photos
from the steam era, but I have personally witnessed this on BN (ex-GN)
trackage around Grand Forks, ND in the early eighties timeframe.

Sincerely,
Robert D. Heninger
Stanley, ND

Tony Thompson

Robert D. Heninger wrote:
. . . the shipping (no pun intended) season for ore ran from approximately April to Oct/Nov during much of the steam era.

Let's see, it moved in ships when the lakes were ice-free, so I'd say it's no pun, it's a statement of fact <g>.

Publishers of books on railroad history

ottokroutil

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "gn3397" <heninger@...> wrote:

Group,
Just to add a couple of comments on ore cars as used on the GN:
Not only did the ore cars spend half their active life running empty,
they spent half the year sitting idle, as the shipping (no pun
intended) season for ore ran from approximately April to Oct/Nov during
much of the steam era.

On the GN, the ore "jennies", as they were called, were also pressed
into service for the sugar beet rush during the late fall/early winter
timeframe. Of course, they were inefficient, but when GN was short of
GS gons or hoppers, they were used. I haven't been able to find photos
from the steam era, but I have personally witnessed this on BN (ex-GN)
trackage around Grand Forks, ND in the early eighties timeframe.

Sincerely,
Robert D. Heninger
Stanley, ND
There is photographic evidence of GN jennies in ore service on Cajon Pass in California during the winter of 1951/52, carrrying Utah ore to Kaiser Steel in Fontana, Cal. I wonder whether this could have been a seasonal arrangement with the GN??? (We do know Santa Fe crews did not like the shorty cars with wheels protruding beyond the frames and the "arrangement" did not last too long).

Regards, Otto Kroutil

Jack Burgess

Otto wrote:
<There is photographic evidence of GN jennies in ore service on Cajon
<Pass in California during the winter of 1951/52, carrrying Utah ore to
<Kaiser Steel in Fontana, Cal. I wonder whether this could have been a
<seasonal arrangement with the GN??? (We do know Santa Fe crews did not
<like the shorty cars with wheels protruding beyond the frames and the
<"arrangement" did not last too long).

After the closure of the Yosemite Portland Cement Company in 1944, the
Yosemite Valley Railroad sold their 51 ex-GN hopper cars (called rock cars
on the YV) to various other railroads including 32 which were sold to
Kaiser. Those would have been the ones in ore service on Cajon Pass....

Jack Burgess
www.yosemitevalleyrr.com

brianehni <behni@...>

While the time is way outside the scope of this group, SP used ore cars in the 70s for hauling gravel. Same might apply for use within the time scope of the group.

Brian Ehni