Topics

Coal Loaded in Boxcars

railsnw1 <railsnw@...>

So I've been doing research on car movements on the Yakima Valley
Transportation Co. in Washington State. The largest inbound shipments
on the YVT was coal to about half a dozen coal retailers in Yakima and
the surounding communities. Predominately the coal came from Bear
Creek, MT, Kleenburn & Kirby, WY, and from Ronald & Roslyn, WA. Most of
the shipments were in drop bottom gondolas but some are showing as
loads in boxcars.

So how common was it to ship coal in boxcars?

Thanks,

Richard Wilkens

gn3397 <heninger@...>

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "railsnw1" <railsnw@...> wrote:

So I've been doing research on car movements on the Yakima Valley
Transportation Co. in Washington State. The largest inbound shipments
on the YVT was coal to about half a dozen coal retailers in Yakima
and
the surounding communities. Predominately the coal came from Bear
Creek, MT, Kleenburn & Kirby, WY, and from Ronald & Roslyn, WA. Most
of
the shipments were in drop bottom gondolas but some are showing as
loads in boxcars.

So how common was it to ship coal in boxcars?

Thanks,

Richard Wilkens
Very common, at least in my chosen modeling era and location. I will be
modeling a GN branchline in ND circa 1949, and almost every small town
had a "coal shed" sitting next to the grain elevators. These were long,
low sheds with several rail height doors facing the tracks, and lower
height doors on the opposite side of the building, which was where the
customer would pull up their truck and buy the coal. The coal would be
shipped in older boxcars and would be unloaded by hand into the shed, a
task which was usually subcontracted to teenaged boys. The boxcars were
equipped with "coal doors", which were nothing more than worn out or
damaged grain doors, to retain the coal. As discussed earlier, much of
the coal sold in MN and ND in my timeframe was transported to Duluth by
freighter. Much of the lignite coal mined in ND was also shipped in
boxcars, and the tipples had special chutes that were able to load
either boxcars or hoppers. Seems strange to see strings of boxcars
under a coal tipple, but the photos don't lie.According to my research,
even if the coal came in a gon, it was still unloaded by manpower and a
shovel. There was a GN Historical Society Reference sheet published on
this topic in 1989. It was entitled "The Andrew Kolb coal shed". Hope
this helps. The sheet has a scale drawing of the shed, which is fairly
typical of their appearance.

Sincerely,
Robert D. Heninger
Stanley, ND

railsnw1 <railsnw@...>

Thanks for the reply Robert. One of the coal yards was Independent
Ice & Fuel and a photo probably from the 1920's can be found here
http://www.yakimamemory.org/u?/memory,9549 The unloading track didn't
have a trestle and coal was just dumped on the ground and carted off
in wheelbarrows. So shovelling out of a boxcar would be more work but
labor was cheap.

Richard Wilkens

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "gn3397" <heninger@...> wrote:

[...]

bill_d_goat

Very common, at least in my chosen modeling era and location. I will
be
modeling a GN branchline in ND circa 1949, and almost every small
town
had a "coal shed" sitting next to the grain elevators. These were
long,
low sheds with several rail height doors facing the tracks, and lower
height doors on the opposite side of the building, which was where
the
customer would pull up their truck and buy the coal. The coal would
be
shipped in older boxcars and would be unloaded by hand into the shed,
task which was usually subcontracted to teenaged boys. The boxcars
were
equipped with "coal doors", which were nothing more than worn out or
damaged grain doors, to retain the coal.
I have read of these boxcar coal shipments which were mostly due to
avoid the coal freezing in the open hoppers, which made them very hard
to unload.
Just how much coal would be loaded into an average 40' boxcar?
Bill Williams

David Smith

Just how much coal would be loaded into an average 40' boxcar?
Bill Williams

In message 55767 in the archives, a loader is described that tilts the car
so it can be pretty much filled with coal. I seem to recall that there may
be a picture in the files/photo section as well - no time to search for it
just now. I do know that this subject is well-represented in the archives.

Dave Smith
--
David L. Smith
Da Vinci Science Center

Ted Schnepf

Hi Richard,

I have plans for a Indian coal mine being built new in the late 1950's and it was having a boxcar loader installed and one track with clearance for boxcars.

I have observed early photos of GN coaling trestles full of boxcars and gons for steam coal.

In a severe winter weather a boxcar would keep the coal dry (if it was loaded dry).

ted

At 10:29 AM 4/7/2008, you wrote:

So I've been doing research on car movements on the Yakima Valley
Transportation Co. in Washington State. The largest inbound shipments
on the YVT was coal to about half a dozen coal retailers in Yakima and
the surounding communities. Predominately the coal came from Bear
Creek, MT, Kleenburn & Kirby, WY, and from Ronald & Roslyn, WA. Most of
the shipments were in drop bottom gondolas but some are showing as
loads in boxcars.

So how common was it to ship coal in boxcars?

Thanks,

Richard Wilkens
Rails Unlimited
Ted Schnepf
railsunl@sbcglobal.net
847-697-5353 or 5366
126 Will Scarlet
Elgin, Ill. 60120
http://RailsUnlimited.ribbonrail.com/

Model Railroad Sales and Service with
a personal touch.
Books new and used. HO and O scales.
DCC supplies. O scale urethane cars.
Photos and darkroom services.
Checks, cash (0%) or credit (secure server at web site 4% added).