Pittsburg & West Virginia

George Courtney

Can anyone inform me of an appropriate number for a P&WV 52' or
52'6" gondola for 1958? Or direct me to a source?
Thanks,
George Courtney

naptownprr

You need a 1958 ORER which somebody on this list probably has. There was a book about 5 or 6 years ago on the history of the High 'n' Dry too, if you can locate a copy.

Quoting George <gsc3@...>:

Can anyone inform me of an appropriate number for a P&WV 52' or
52'6" gondola for 1958? Or direct me to a source?
Thanks,
George Courtney

MOFWCABOOSE@...

P&WV 52'6" gondolas as listed in the 1-58 ORER were in series 7200-7299, and 7300-7399. All were steel with fixed ends and wooden floors. Cars 7260-7299 were noted as being equipped with steel hoods, for coiled steel loading, and cars 7204, 7227, 7233, 7234, and 7258 were noted as being equipped with drop bottom containers (12 per car) and designated as A.A.R. class LG (all the others were class GB).

John C. La Rue, Jr.
Bonita Springs, FL?

Quoting George <gsc3@...>:

Can anyone inform me of an appropriate number for a P&WV 52' or
52'6" gondola for 1958? Or direct me to a source?
Thanks,
George Courtney

Ed Hawkins

On Apr 16, 2008, at 11:05 PM, George wrote:

Can anyone inform me of an appropriate number for a P&WV 52' or
52'6" gondola for 1958? Or direct me to a source?
Thanks,
George Courtney
George,
I just about had my reply ready to send when John La Rue's reply came
through. I'm providing some information about the cars in case it's
useful to you.

7200-7299, 1,745 cu. ft., built Bethlehem Steel Co. 11-56. By 1/59
there were 10 cars configured for drop bottom containers. In addition
to the 5 numbers John provided, the other 5 were 7200, 7201, 7212,
7236, and 7245.

7300-7399, 1,647 cu. ft., built Pullman-Standard 11-57. No special
notes on these cars in the 1/59 ORER.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

Charles Hladik

Eldon,
I've often thought that a "strip" from a window screen or smaller mesh
might work for the tie downs. Haven't tried it yet, but........ Your idea
sounds like it works pretty well.
Thanks,

Chuck Hladik
Rutland Railroad
Virginia Division
NMRA L5756

listings at AOL Autos.

Larry Kline

George Courtney wrote:
Can anyone inform me of an appropriate number for a P&WV 52' or 52'6"
gondola for 1958? Or direct me to a source?

The number series have already been posted. You can find photos of
both series at:
http://www.thepwvhiline.com/GonCrazy/index.html
The site has many other P&WV freight car photos.

Larry Kline
Pittsburgh, PA

Gatwood, Elden J SAD <Elden.J.Gatwood@...>

George;

I am currently near completion on a P&WV Bethlehem (7200 series) container
gon in HO. I used a Sunshine B&O O-63 as the base model, with added-on top
chord reinforcement from styrene strip. Grab placement and type are from the
photos of 7233 and 7227. I mashed .02" rod between two sheets of corrugated
sheet to make the lading band anchors, and glued them on top of the new top
chord reinforcement. The containers are from Walthers. I will use Jack
Consoli's perfect P&WV decals to finish it; and of source, some nice
weathering! The only thing missing is the specific container ld limit/lt
weight lettering to the right of the reporting marks, and I will plan on
adding that when I find something suitable. It appears these guys were
converted for that service in June '57.

The 7300 series PS-5's have a side similar to the Greenville gon made by
Proto2000/LifeLike/Walthers, but with a few nuances. The ends can be cut off
and new fixed ends will have to be fashioned that resemble those PS gon ends
(the PRR G36E also had them). I have not done this car yet, but plan to.

Happy modeling!

Elden Gatwood

________________________________

Can anyone inform me of an appropriate number for a P&WV 52' or 52'6"
gondola for 1958? Or direct me to a source?

The number series have already been posted. You can find photos of
both series at:
http://www.thepwvhiline.com/GonCrazy/index.html
<http://www.thepwvhiline.com/GonCrazy/index.html>
The site has many other P&WV freight car photos.

Larry Kline
Pittsburgh, PA

Gatwood, Elden J SAD <Elden.J.Gatwood@...>

Chuck;

It worked reasonable well, but I want to find some corrugated material of
slightly larger dimension (wider spacing) and made of something other than
styrene (metal), so I can do a better job of them. The only reason I did
what I did was expediency, and the styrene rod is easy to glue on (start in
the middle and work toward each end, holding gently in place and gluing as
you go; cut off excess), and shouldn't come off (which is a problem for me
for numerous reasons).

Oh, and while I don't want to change the "thread" name, the P&WV spelled
Pittsburgh the way the city has for these many years, and not like the
Pittsburg & Shawmut did.

Now, who is going to do a decent alternate standard twin offset hopper for
us? Arrgghhh.

Elden Gatwood

(http://autos.aol.com/used?NCID=aolcmp00300000002851
<http://autos.aol.com/used?NCID=aolcmp00300000002851> )