freight car color variations

ed_mines

Another color that varied was the "reefer yellow" used on SFRD reefers
in the '40s.d

Sometimes it looked as orange as PFE reefers. Sometimes it was
completed devoid of any red. I saw a TV show with an old color film
segment showing an absolutely yellow woodside SFRD reefer with a map.
The other colors looked pretty normal (it looked like the colors hadn't
deterioated).

Has anyone seen a color photo showing both yellow and orange SFRD
reefers? Sometimes B&W photos show darker and lighter cars together.

Ed

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

ed_mines wrote:
Another color that varied was the "reefer yellow" used on SFRD reefers in the '40s.
Sometimes it looked as orange as PFE reefers. Sometimes it was completed devoid of any red. I saw a TV show with an old color film segment showing an absolutely yellow woodside SFRD reefer with a map.The other colors looked pretty normal (it looked like the colors hadn't deterioated).
Ed, you may well be right about a true yellow on earlier SFRD cars, but I'd observe that PFE's orange paint faded and weathered to a quite distinct yellow. However, all you had to do was superficially scrape the yellow surface to see the deep orange underneath. Whether that's what's involved in your SFRD observations, I don't know.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Richard Hendrickson

On May 14, 2008, at 11:29 AM, ed_mines wrote:

Another color that varied was the "reefer yellow" used on SFRD reefers
in the '40s.d

Sometimes it looked as orange as PFE reefers. Sometimes it was
completed devoid of any red. I saw a TV show with an old color film
segment showing an absolutely yellow woodside SFRD reefer with a map.
The other colors looked pretty normal (it looked like the colors
hadn't
deterioated).

Has anyone seen a color photo showing both yellow and orange SFRD
reefers? Sometimes B&W photos show darker and lighter cars together.

Ed, in the few surviving color photos from the late '40s and early
'50s that show numerous SFRD cars in the same train or yard, color
varies widely, not because the cars were painted differently but
because of the usual fading, weathering, and accumulations of grime.
The paint used on the sides of SFRD colors MAY have been lighter and
more yellow in the 1920s, but it was essentially the same yellow-
orange on all cars from the mid-1930s through the 1950s. With the
adoption of the giant herald stenciling scheme beginning in 1959, the
color seems to have shifted to a more orange shade, but that
perception depends on the slides/movies you're looking at, and - of
course - color film reproduction was/is notoriously unreliable as a
guide to actual colors. During the period that's relevant to most
subscribers to this list, the Santa Fe did not change the color of
the paint used on reefer sides (aside from the usual minor variations
from one batch of paint to another).

Richard Hendrickson