USG/Tichy Tank Car Articles, RMJ 1990-91; FPLX 1027?

Kurt Laughlin <fleeta@...>

Looking my files I have two RailModel Journal articles on prototypes for the Tichy USRA tank car, both by Richard Hendrickson. Part I was 10/90, Part II was 4/91. At the end of Part I it was promised that "next month" would have an article on modeling USG-A cars with the Tichy kit. (Part II, six months later, has nothing about modeling.) Was this ever published?

Also, Part I mentions the "mysterious" Frontenac car, FPLX 1027. Has the story behind this car ever been determined?

KL

Richard Hendrickson

On May 30, 2008, at 7:26 PM, Kurt Laughlin wrote:

Looking my files I have two RailModel Journal articles on
prototypes for the Tichy USRA tank car, both by Richard
Hendrickson. Part I was 10/90, Part II was 4/91. At the end of Part
I it was promised that "next month" would have an article on
modeling USG-A cars with the Tichy kit. (Part II, six months later,
has nothing about modeling.) Was this ever published?

Kurt, the modeling article never materialized, for reasons I can't
recall at the moment, though I did, in fact, build a couple of models
using the Tichy kit as a basis.

Also, Part I mentions the "mysterious" Frontenac car, FPLX 1027.
Has the story behind this car ever been determined?

Yes, USG-A tank cars were built by AC&F for both the Frontenac Oil
Co. of Canada and Nationales de Mexico - there are builder's photos
of both in the AC&F archives - but before they could be delivered the
War Production Board said, "hey, wait a minute, you can't send those
cars to Canada and Mexico when we have an acute tank car shortage in
the US, which the USG-A cars are supposed to alleviate," so the
Frontenac and NdeM cars were repainted and restenciled for Shippers
Car Line, the AC&F-owned leasing company.

Richard Hendrickson

Kurt Laughlin <fleeta@...>

Thanks Richard.

KL

Bruce Smith

On Fri, May 30, 2008 9:26 pm, Kurt Laughlin wrote:
Looking my files I have two RailModel Journal articles on prototypes for
the Tichy USRA tank car, both by Richard Hendrickson. Part I was 10/90,
Part II was 4/91. At the end of Part I it was promised that "next month"
would have an article on modeling USG-A cars with the Tichy kit. (Part
II, six months later, has nothing about modeling.) Was this ever
published?

Also, Part I mentions the "mysterious" Frontenac car, FPLX 1027. Has the
story behind this car ever been determined?

KL
Kurt, Folks,

If you look in the archives, you will find that Russ Pinchbeck wrote an
article on "Canadian Car & Foundry's "War Emergency" 10,000 gallon tank
car" Railroad ModelCraftsman, July 2002 page 91. These cars were the
essentially the same as the USG-A. The kitbash uses the Tichy tank and an
IM underframe.

Regards
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

Kurt Laughlin <fleeta@...>

From: Bruce Smith

Kurt, Folks,

On May 31, 2008, at 10:29 AM, shile@... wrote:

The USQX cars are a bit more problematic. The builder's photo in
RMJ 10/90 shows an ACF builder's mark, but the underframe looks
more like a General American, in that it lacks, completely, the sub
sills from the truck bolster to the car ends that the Type 27
underframe clearly show in the FPLX photo below. The tank saddles
are identical, however. Could it be that this is a case of reusing
parts of older underframes to speed the process in wartime?

Fun speculating, isn't it.

Perhaps, but in this case let's not speculate where we have
information. The Quartermaster Corps purchased 285 USG-A 10K gal.
tank cars from AC&F ca. 1943. These differed from the USG-A type
cars AC&F built for its own Shippers Car Line leasing subsidiary in
several respects, most notably in the underframes, which in all
photos of these cars appear to be of similar (though not identical)
design as those on the GATC cars purchased by the QMC at about the
same time. Those underframes were built new for the USQX cars in
question. AC&F was, of course, perfectly capable of building such
underframes if that's what the QMC wanted, and apparently that's what
was specified. Note that the underframes for AC&F tank cars weren't
built at the Milton, PA tank car plant; they were built at the
Berwick, PA freight car plant and sent to Milton on their own wheels
to have tanks applied.

Richard Hendrickson

Steve and Barb Hile

Thanks for the expansion and clarification.

Regards,
Steve Hile

[...]

Brian Leppert <b.leppert@...>

AC&F did offer a tank car underframe similar to General American's. Quoting from AC&F literature, circa 1925:

"Type 25 is a new and important development in non-end-sill construction."

"The Type 25 tank car shown above does not carry the end sills, end side sills, and diagonal braces, but does have heavy steel diaphragms extending from the center sills at each end of the car, affording a substantial foundation for the running boards at the corners of the car and for the brake mast, the uncoupling device, sill, step, and corner grab irons."

The diaphragms appear similar to normal Type 21 running board supports.

Examples of possible Type 25 cars are in Kaminski's AC&F book on pages 70 (SCAX 625) and 75 (CLX 2270) and in his tank car book, pages 105 (RVX 101), 109 (ILDX 112), 115 (PMCX 568) and page 118 (WOWX 282). None of the cars have end diaphragms, however.

Is it possible that the USQX tank cars could be considered to be Type 25?

Brian Leppert
Carson City, NV

Richard Hendrickson

On Jun 2, 2008, at 8:45 AM, Brian Leppert wrote:

[...]

No, because the body bolsters are different. But otherwise the
underframes appear to be very similar to the examples you cite in
Kaminski's book. And thanks for posting this information. Though I
knew AC&F had made some underframes in the '20s without side and end
sills, I hadn't been aware of the Type 25 underframe design before.

Richard Hendrickson