Topics

An L&N Boxcar?

Eric Hansmann

I was trolling around the P&WV site and found a few great steam era images. Here's one from
July 1947. You can zoom in pretty easily to see the weathered NYC and Southern boxcars behind
the loco. Is that an L&N boxcar before the edge of the picture? The letters aren't quite
distinct enough. If so, would anyone have an idea what number series it is from? It seems like
a DS rebuild.

http://www.thepwvhiline.com/BillPoellotJrsPWVAlbum/PWV_923_Web_001.html

Love the three shades of color on these cars, plus the weathering.

Eric Hansmann
Morgantown, W. Va.

benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@...>

Eric Hansmann wrote:
"I was trolling around the P&WV site and found a few great steam era
images. Here's one from July 1947. You can zoom in pretty easily to see
the weathered NYC and Southern boxcars behind the loco. Is that an L&N
boxcar before the edge of the picture? The letters aren't quite
distinct enough. If so, would anyone have an idea what number series it
is from? It seems like a DS rebuild."
http://www.thepwvhiline.com/BillPoellotJrsPWVAlbum/PWV_923_Web_001.html

Most likely L&N 8000-8999, AC&F, built 1921 based on the ends. These
are NOT rebuilt DS boxcars - they retained their wood sheathing
throughout their service lives.

Ben Hom

Eric Hansmann

--- Ben Hom wrote:

Most likely L&N 8000-8999, AC&F, built 1921 based on the ends. These
are NOT rebuilt DS boxcars - they retained their wood sheathing
throughout their service lives.
====================================

Thanks for the tip Ben. It was difficult to discern the box car
sheathing on that image. The reporting marks stumped me as well until I
realized it was L&N.

Eric Hansmann
Morgantown, W. Va.

Donald B. Valentine

--- In STMFC@..., "benjaminfrank_hom" <b.hom@...> wrote:

Eric Hansmann wrote:
"I was trolling around the P&WV site and found a few great steam era
images. Here's one from July 1947. You can zoom in pretty easily to
see the weathered NYC and Southern boxcars behind the loco. Is that
an L&N boxcar before the edge of the picture? The letters aren't
quite distinct enough. If so, would anyone have an idea what number
series it is from? It seems like a DS rebuild."
http://www.thepwvhiline.com/BillPoellotJrsPWVAlbum/PWV_923_Web_001.htm

Most likely L&N 8000-8999, AC&F, built 1921 based on the ends.
These are NOT rebuilt DS boxcars - they retained their wood
sheathing throughout their service lives.

Ben Hom

What an absolutely superb photo! I'm always happy to see such
good quality color photos of any road in that period. It is
interesting to note that both the NYC and Southern car are
available from Al Westerfield in kit form. Can we expect the
L&N car anytime soon Al??????

Don Valentine

milepost131 <sryn.dump@...>

Great picture. But doesn't it beg some of the questions I've been
watching on this discussion group?

While I'm not an L&N fanatic I must say that everyone needs to examine
that Southern Car- It's a Southern SU boxcar.

Looks like 154183. Hmmm an SU. Look real closely and you can see that
the build date would be 9/22 with Hutchins (early) ends and peaked
roof. No fascia.
Can't see that detail?
Can't be that I'm looking at info in a data base; NO WAY!; we know
there isn't one.
Gee I must have real good eye sight or access to Southern Railway info.
Of course, I already knew Westerfield made the HO model even though I
model in N scale (Guess who's building SU boxcars?).

So anyone who wants to know more about THAT Southern car can now find
it in this discussion group by just searching for that car number or
keyword Southern SU.

BTW, is that the correct Southern Railway Boxcar RED?
Hmmm I wonder what number that is and whether there has been a red
shift through the years in the original photo?

And were those the original trucks.

Great picture though. Anyone have a paint chip from that car in case I
want to decal one of mine with that number<g>?

Gordon

Steve Lucas <stevelucas3@...>

It certainly reminds me of many questions put forth on STMFC in the
past weeek or so. And all in a very nice set of photos, too. I am
amazed by just how dirty and faded many steam-era cars were--this is
shown very well in the first photo. Today's freight cars seem to go
through a wash rack every trip by comparison.

Keep this up, and I'll be looking at modelling yet more cars, which
can't be all bad. Which begs the way-OT question--will I ever expand
my layout if I keep building more STMFC's? :)

Thanks for the link.

Steve Lucas.

--- In STMFC@..., "milepost131" <sryn.dump@...> wrote:

[...]

Bruce Smith

On Sun, June 8, 2008 11:29 am, Steve Lucas wrote:
It certainly reminds me of many questions put forth on STMFC in the
past weeek or so. And all in a very nice set of photos, too. I am
amazed by just how dirty and faded many steam-era cars were--this is
shown very well in the first photo. Today's freight cars seem to go
through a wash rack every trip by comparison.
This is another excellent piece of evidence that during and just after
(and this photo is about 2 years after) the end of WWII there were a lot
of very weathered cars on the railroads. Of course, there is another 1947
photo later in the group that shows a nearly new Milwaukee Road rib side
car, so as always, there is some variation.

Regards
Bruce

Bruce Smith
Auburn, Al

David Smith

What's up with that tank car in image 11? 4 (maybe 5) domes?

Dave

--
David L. Smith
Da Vinci Science Center

Schuyler Larrabee

Eric Hansmann found us this great link:

http://www.thepwvhiline.com/BillPoellotJrsPWVAlbum/PWV_923_Web_001.html
<http://www.thepwvhiline.com/BillPoellotJrsPWVAlbum/PWV_923_Web_001.html>

Love the three shades of color on these cars, plus the weathering.
Me too, Eric. I assume there rest of the list realized that the link above is to the FIRST of
FIFTEEN images. All worthy of inspection. And BTW, in image 11, is that a multiple-dome tank car,
third back from the locomotive?

SGL

(OK, OK, truth time: I didn't notice that at first either . . . 8^) )

Adam & Laura Eyring <eyrings06@...>

Hard to say if it's 4- or 5-dome, but a quick search doesn't show 5-domes apparently existed (I'm not too familiar with multiple-dome tank cars anyway), but here's a pic of a 4-dome GATX wine car that is interesting, though the spacing of domes doesn't match that in the P&WV pic:
http://www.oerm.org/images/GATX%20tank%20453%20sm.JPG

Linked from:
http://www.oerm.org/pages/other_railroads.htm

AME

Love the three shades of color on these cars, plus the weathering.
Me too, Eric. I assume there rest of the list realized that the link above is to the FIRST of
FIFTEEN images. All worthy of inspection. And BTW, in image 11, is that a multiple-dome tank car,
third back from the locomotive?

SGL

(OK, OK, truth time: I didn't notice that at first either . . . 8^) )

Richard Hendrickson

On Jun 8, 2008, at 5:47 PM, David Smith wrote:

What's up with that tank car in image 11? 4 (maybe 5) domes?

Not sure what it was doing on the Alphabet Route, but that's a six
compartment insulated wine tank car.

Richard Hendrickson

Schuyler Larrabee

Good link, Adam!! I suspect we might be seeing this:

http://www.oerm.org/images/GATX%20tank%2070529%20sm.JPG

Which is linked from the OREM page you cited below. Thanks.

Other opinions, folks?? ("Folks" being a non-gender specific term!)

SGL

Hard to say if it's 4- or 5-dome, but a quick search doesn't show 5-domes
apparently existed (I'm not too familiar with multiple-dome tank cars
anyway), but here's a pic of a 4-dome GATX wine car that is interesting,
though the spacing of domes doesn't match that in the P&WV pic:
http://www.oerm.org/images/GATX%20tank%20453%20sm.JPG
<http://www.oerm.org/images/GATX%20tank%20453%20sm.JPG>

Linked from:
http://www.oerm.org/pages/other_railroads.htm <http://www.oerm.org/pages/other_railroads.htm>

AME

Love the three shades of color on these cars, plus the weathering.
Me too, Eric. I assume there rest of the list realized that the link
above is to the FIRST of
FIFTEEN images. All worthy of inspection. And BTW, in image 11, is that
a multiple-dome tank car,
third back from the locomotive?

SGL

(OK, OK, truth time: I didn't notice that at first either . . . 8^) )

And BTW, in image 11, is that a multiple-dome tank car,
third back from the locomotive?
SGL
http://www.thepwvhiline.com/BillPoellotJrsPWVAlbum/images/At_The_Station_Web_011.jpg

Yes, a 6-dome wine tank car. I wonder where it was headed.
Tim O'Connor

Gatwood, Elden J SAD <Elden.J.Gatwood@...>

I've always heard stories about multiple dome tank cars being used in service
to big distilleries, who made different grades of whiskies and other liquors,
that were not necessarily bottled at the plant, but never seen actual
evidence of it. The P&WV interchanged with the PRR in the Mon Valley, where
there were some distilleries like Overholt, that had several plants in the
east. Until changing tastes in the 50's resulted in a gradual decline in the
dominance of whiskies (especially the cheap ones) in the hard liquor market
(have you ever seen a menu from a club back in those days?), they churned out
cheap and less cheap whiskies in volumes far beyond what they do today. What
do you think? Possible?

Elden Gatwood