From: Spen Kellogg
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Wednesday, June 11, 2008 10:17 AM
Subject: [STMFC] Micro Mark Deluxe Decal Finishing System

Does anyone have any experience with Micro Marks decal setting and
restoring products. I am particularly interested in the decal film
restoring solution as I have some old decals that are no longer made.
I've tried to store them well, but I don't trust myself.

Thanks and regards, Spen Kellogg

The uScale softening solutions are quite mild. I use Champ solution
or Walthers Solvaset to soften stubborn decals.

I routinely use the Microscale liquid decal stuff (I forget the name) to
either hold old decals together, or to transform tiny lettering from dry
transfers into decals, after first transferring them to decal paper. Just
brush it on and let it dry.

From: Spen Kellogg <spenkell@...>
Does anyone have any experience with Micro Marks decal setting and
restoring products. I am particularly interested in the decal film
restoring solution as I have some old decals that are no longer made.
I've tried to store them well, but I don't trust myself.

Thanks and regards, Spen Kellogg

Lawrence Rast

Tim,

I've not heard of this approach to dry transfers to decals before.
Could you expand a bit on it, please?

Best,
Lawrence Rast

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 9:56 AM, <@timboconnor> wrote:

I routinely use the Microscale liquid decal stuff (I forget the name) to
either hold old decals together, or to transform tiny lettering from dry
transfers into decals, after first transferring them to decal paper. Just
brush it on and let it dry.

tmolsen@...

Lawrence,

The item that Tim was referring to is called "Micro Super Film" put out by Kraesel Industries. I used it to coat old decals that had the surface film cracking.

You just brush it over the decal surface and let it dry a few minutes, then drop the decal into water and slide it off the backing, just as if they were new the day before. It basically seals up the age cracks in the film surface.

Regards,
Tom Olsen
7 Boundary Road, West Branch
Newark, Delaware, 19711-7479
(302) 738-4292
tmolsen@...

rickstern845215 <rstern1@...>

I've had somewhat mixed results with the Micro Super Film. On the
good side, it does create a film over the top of the old decal that
can, in most cases, hold it together.

On the bad side, you have to be very careful to avoid brushing it
onto the old decal too thick or unevenly. In those cases the decal
will develop a curl or be so thick that, when applied to an uneven
surface (such as a wood car side) won't "snuggle down" into the
surface no matter how much setting solution is applied.

Net result is that, I may try it for a decal that will be put onto a
flat surface. But mostly, when I have a decal that turns out to be
so fragile it can't be used I might try the Micro Super Film once to
see if I can restore it. If not, it's much less frustrating to just
buy new decals.

Rick

--- In STMFC@..., <tmolsen@...> wrote:

Lawrence,

The item that Tim was referring to is called "Micro Super Film" put
out by Kraesel Industries. I used it to coat old decals that had the
surface film cracking.

You just brush it over the decal surface and let it dry a few
minutes, then drop the decal into water and slide it off the backing,
just as if they were new the day before. It basically seals up the
age cracks in the film surface.

Tim O'Connor

Rick

Just to set the record straight, I do not use Micro Super Film. I have
only used the Microscale product, and I have not experienced any
problems with its thickness or with uneven surfaces.

http://www.microscale.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=MI-12&Category_Code=FINPROD&Product_Count=6

Tim O'

From: "rickstern845215" <rstern1@...>

--- In STMFC@..., <tmolsen@...> wrote:

Lawrence,

The item that Tim was referring to is called "Micro Super Film" put
out by Kraesel Industries. I used it to coat old decals that had the
surface film cracking.

You just brush it over the decal surface and let it dry a few
minutes, then drop the decal into water and slide it off the backing,
just as if they were new the day before. It basically seals up the
age cracks in the film surface.

Lawrence Rast

Many thanks for the responses. I'll give this a shot.

Best,
Lawrence

From: "rickstern845215" <rstern1@...>

Gene Green <bierglaeser@...>

--- In STMFC@..., "rickstern845215" <rstern1@...> wrote:

I've had somewhat mixed results with the Micro Super Film. On the
good side, it does create a film over the top of the old decal that
can, in most cases, hold it together.

On the bad side, you have to be very careful to avoid brushing it
onto the old decal too thick or unevenly. In those cases the decal
will develop a curl or be so thick that, when applied to an uneven
surface (such as a wood car side) won't "snuggle down" into the
surface no matter how much setting solution is applied.

Net result is that, I may try it for a decal that will be put onto
flat surface. But mostly, when I have a decal that turns out to be
so fragile it can't be used I might try the Micro Super Film once
see if I can restore it. If not, it's much less frustrating to
just
buy new decals.

Rick
Would the material lend itself to spraying with an airbrush?
Gene Green
Out in the west Texas town of El Paso

earlyrail

Many of us the print the ALPS decals use Future Floor Finish as a protective cover.
This is an acrylic and not a wax base product.

Howard Garner

Tim O'Connor

Howard

I thought acrylic was quite brittle. I would not expect it to mold
all that well to uneven surfaces. Have you had any problems?

From: Howard R Garner <cascaderail@...>
Many of us the print the ALPS decals use Future Floor Finish as a
protective cover.
This is an acrylic and not a wax base product.

Howard Garner

earlyrail

No problems at all.
If you can't use it, check with your other half, she might already have some.

Howard