From: Roger Hinman <rhinman@...>
Subject: [STMFC] GARX car in Monon, IN
To: STMFC@...
Date: Wednesday, June 11, 2008, 6:30 PM

http://www.rrpictur earchives. net/showPicture. aspx?id=825673

Anyone know where in Monon this car is located???

Roger Hinman

John F. Pautz <jfpautz@...>

--- In STMFC@..., Roger Hinman <rhinman@...> wrote:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=825673

Anyone know where in Monon this car is located???

Roger Hinman
Roger,

It appears to be at the Monon museum, on US 421 about 1 mile north of
Monon.

John F. Pautz
American Switch & Signal
P:48 track components

rwitt_2000 <rmwitt@...>

Roger Hinman wrote:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=825673

Anyone know where in Monon this car is located???
Does anyone want to speculate about the origins of this reefer. The
heavy fishbelly underframe looks like some of the reefers built for
Swift and Company.

Bob Witt

Mont Switzer <mhts_switzerm@...>

Bob,

The car is located about 5 miles north of town at The Monon Connection restaurant and museum. Excellent food and a museum worth an afternoon of one's time.

The museum got the car body out of a nearby barn and mounted it on the underframe that you see in the photo for display purposes. They are not one and the same.

Mont Switzer

rwitt_2000 <rmwitt@...> wrote:

Roger Hinman wrote:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=825673

Anyone know where in Monon this car is located???
Does anyone want to speculate about the origins of this reefer. The
heavy fishbelly underframe looks like some of the reefers built for
Swift and Company.

Bob Witt

Michael Aufderheide

Bob,
&nbsp;
The underframe is not original to the car.&nbsp; The body was used as storage inside a barn since the late '40s and placed on this underframe when it was brought to the museum.&nbsp; There was discussion of this car a few years ago if you can negotiate the archived messages.&nbsp;
&nbsp;
Regards,
&nbsp;
Mike Aufderheide

Anyone know where in Monon this car is located???
Does anyone want to speculate about the origins of this reefer. The
heavy fishbelly underframe looks like some of the reefers built for
Swift and Company.

Bob Witt

rwitt_2000 <rmwitt@...>

To Mont and Mike:

Thanks for the info. I will check the archives.

Bob Witt

Bob,
&nbsp;
The underframe is not original to the car.&nbsp; The body was used
as storage inside a barn since the late '40s and placed on this
underframe when it was brought to the museum.&nbsp; There was
discussion of this car a few years ago if you can negotiate the
archived messages.&nbsp;
&nbsp;
Regards,
&nbsp;
Mike Aufderheide

Does anyone want to speculate about the origins of this reefer. The
heavy fishbelly underframe looks like some of the reefers built for
Swift and Company.

Bob Witt

Tim O'Connor

Well, gee, Bob, it looks like a Kingan & Co reefer to me. :-) Sunshine
did a model for at least one Kingan reefer...

Tim

From: "rwitt_2000" <rmwitt@...>

Roger Hinman wrote:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=825673

Anyone know where in Monon this car is located???
Does anyone want to speculate about the origins of this reefer. The
heavy fishbelly underframe looks like some of the reefers built for
Swift and Company.

Bob Witt

Scott Pitzer

--- In STMFC@..., Mike Aufderheide <mononinmonon@...> wrote:

Bob,
&nbsp;
The underframe is not original to the car.&nbsp; The body was used as
storage inside a barn since the late '40s and placed on this underframe
when it was brought to the museum
Somebody please hang a big sign on both sides of it, explaining the
mismatch. Otherwise Marklin might make 100,000 HO copies of it.
Scott Pitzer

Richard Hendrickson

On Jun 12, 2008, at 9:28 AM, timboconnor@... wrote:

Well, gee, Bob, it looks like a Kingan & Co reefer to me. :-) Sunshine
did a model for at least one Kingan reefer...

In fact, it was built, owned, and operated by General American under
GARX reporting marks and leased to Kingan at the time it was taken
out of service. The side sill tabs identify it as having been built
in the 1930s with a Duryea cushion underframe. I have several in-
service photos of these cars.

Richard Hendrickson

Roger Hinman <rhinman@...>

Interesting, a modern day kitbash. I'll be travelling in that area
later this summer and I
think I'll have a look

Thanks for ID'ing the location

Roger Hinman

Richard Hendrickson wrote:

On Jun 12, 2008, at 9:28 AM, timboconnor@... wrote:

Well, gee, Bob, it looks like a Kingan & Co reefer to me. :-)
Sunshine
did a model for at least one Kingan reefer...

In fact, it was built, owned, and operated by General American under
GARX reporting marks and leased to Kingan at the time it was taken
out of service. The side sill tabs identify it as having been built
in the 1930s with a Duryea cushion underframe. I have several in-
service photos of these cars.

Richard Hendrickson
Richard,

Thank you, I assume that Kingan & Co. also owned and operated reefers
with their reporting marks.

I believe I have one photo from Bob's, but I will have to check.

Regards,

Bob Witt

Richard Hendrickson

On Jun 12, 2008, at 6:47 PM, rwitt_2000 wrote:

Richard Hendrickson wrote:

On Jun 12, 2008, at 9:28 AM, timboconnor@... wrote:

Well, gee, Bob, it looks like a Kingan & Co reefer to me. :-)
Sunshine
did a model for at least one Kingan reefer...
In fact, it was built, owned, and operated by General American under
GARX reporting marks and leased to Kingan at the time it was taken
out of service. The side sill tabs identify it as having been built
in the 1930s with a Duryea cushion underframe. I have several in-
service photos of these cars.

Richard Hendrickson
Richard,

Thank you, I assume that Kingan & Co. also owned and operated reefers
with their reporting marks.

I believe I have one photo from Bob's, but I will have to check.

Bob, Kingan operated a substantial fleet of reefers under their own
reporting marks during the billboard reefer era covered by the
forthcoming book (which includes a couple of photos of Kingan cars),
and as late as 1938 the ORERs show them with about 450 cars. By
1941, however, they were down to just one car, the others having
apparently been sold to one of the car leasing companies and leased
back - probably General American, since GATC provided them with meat
reefers in the 1950s.

Richard Hendrickson