Topics

"Lemons" into lemonade

spsalso

Because I am handwritingly challenged, my local shop brought in a
couple of Red Caboose RC-8900's rather than what I thought I had
ordered. I'm wondering if anyone has a suggestion for utilizing
these two orphans other than painting and lettering them just as Red
Caboose does their decorated items. I think it might be fun to see
where this situation leads.

Thanks for your consideration, Ed

benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@...>

Ed (Sutorik?) asked:
"Because I am handwritingly challenged, my local shop brought in a
couple of Red Caboose RC-8900's rather than what I thought I had
ordered. I'm wondering if anyone has a suggestion for utilizing
these two orphans other than painting and lettering them just as Red
Caboose does their decorated items. I think it might be fun to see
where this situation leads."

http://tinyurl.com/3kwheu

Sure, Ed, but it would help us to help you if you could let us know
what era you're interested in.

Ben Hom

spsalso

What era? Actually any time from when these cars were constructed
(post war, I think) until now.

Ed

Steve Lucas <stevelucas3@...>

I claim absolute ignorance of what makes these models "lemons". I
can't seem to find any reference to them in the message archives. Can
someone elaborate?

Thanks in advance,

Steve Lucas.

--- In STMFC@..., "benjaminfrank_hom" <b.hom@...> wrote:

Ed (Sutorik?) asked:
"Because I am handwritingly challenged, my local shop brought in a
couple of Red Caboose RC-8900's rather than what I thought I had
ordered. I'm wondering if anyone has a suggestion for utilizing
these two orphans other than painting and lettering them just as Red
Caboose does their decorated items. I think it might be fun to see
where this situation leads."

http://tinyurl.com/3kwheu

Sure, Ed, but it would help us to help you if you could let us know
what era you're interested in.

Ben Hom

Brian J Carlson <brian@...>

Steve: They are "lemons" only because Ed ordered the wrong models and is now
wondering what to do with them.

Brian carlson

Tim O'Connor

So you are wondering who owned welded 40ft AAR box cars with
8 ft Superior doors? Other than the road names (e.g. Reading) that
Red Caboose has already done?

"Because I am handwritingly challenged, my local shop brought in a
couple of Red Caboose RC-8900's rather than what I thought I had
ordered. I'm wondering if anyone has a suggestion for utilizing
these two orphans other than painting and lettering them just as Red
Caboose does their decorated items. I think it might be fun to see
where this situation leads."

Scott Pitzer

--- In STMFC@..., timboconnor@... wrote:

So you are wondering who owned welded 40ft AAR box cars with
8 ft Superior doors? Other than the road names (e.g. Reading) that
Red Caboose has already done?
Yep, that's what he's trying to find out. Maybe a repaint, if RC did
them all in "as delivered"? But the cars were built near the end of
this group's era, so repaints would probably be a BBFCL topic, e.g.,
did any of the Reading's end up in Conrail paint?
Scott Pitzer

spsalso

So you are wondering who owned welded 40ft AAR box cars with
8 ft Superior doors? Other than the road names (e.g. Reading) that
Red Caboose has already done?
Well, sort of. Red Caboose describes their RC-8900 as an AC&F 40'
welded box with 10'6" internal height, 4-3-1 ends and 8' doors (the
kit comes with "Youngstown" and "Superior"). Reading is not one of
the roads listed by Red Caboose for this version. They list Maine
Central, WP, WAB, and RI.

I figured that since the list includes WP and RI, that maybe some/one
got relettered as UP. From a 1980 ORER I found several groups. Of
the two for which I could find photos, one was a riveted version
(yoohoo Red Caboose) and the other was a PS-1 that Kadee is already
doing.

So, I did do some work; but I got to thinking that this might be a
"top of the head" solution from a member of this group--hence my
submission.

Ed

spsalso

So you are wondering who owned welded 40ft AAR box cars with
8 ft Superior doors? Other than the road names (e.g. Reading) that
Red Caboose has already done?
Well, sort of. Red Caboose describes RC-8900 as an AC&F 40' welded
box with IH of 10'6", 4-3-1 ends, and 8' doors (they supply both
"Youngstown" and "Superior"). They have the cars lettered for Maine
Central, WP, Wabash, and RI. I'd like to do something different--
either a different road or a different paint scheme for the listed
four.

I thought that one or more of the WP/RI cars might have made it into
UP, but so far I haven't found any.

Ed Sutorik

Tim O'Connor

As someone said, it depends on your era. I don't think many of these
cars would have been repainted before 1960. Over on the BBFCL we
could discuss your options for the future.... :-)

From: "spsalso" <Edwardsutorik@...>

laramielarry <ostresh@...>

--- In STMFC@..., "spsalso" <Edwardsutorik@...> wrote:

So you are wondering who owned welded 40ft AAR box cars with
8 ft Superior doors? Other than the road names (e.g. Reading) that
Red Caboose has already done?
Well, sort of. Red Caboose describes RC-8900 as an AC&F 40' welded
box with IH of 10'6", 4-3-1 ends, and 8' doors (they supply both
"Youngstown" and "Superior"). They have the cars lettered for
Maine
Central, WP, Wabash, and RI.

Ed Sutorik
Hi Ed

No cars with those dimensions in the road names you mention (MEC, WP,
Wabash, RI) are listed in any ORER up to July 1950. This is not
surprising since the earliest build date that Red Caboose gives for
these welded box models is 9-57 (MEC).

EJ&E, GTW, NJI&I, RDG, SA, SEABOARD, SLSF, and SOUTHERN all had steel
cars with IL 40'6", IH 10'6", door 8'0", but it is doubtful they were
welded.

Best wishes,
Larry Ostresh
Laramie, Wyoming

spsalso

I figured 40' box=steam; but that's sorta maybe not true. I'm pretty
sure the cars I'm working with were built in the late fifties and may
have gone into the '80's, so I'll try BBFCL. It's a new group for me,
but it's nice to meet new friends. I might bring it up on MFCL, but
I've gotta check their "time span" first. Anyway, thanks to all for
your guidance on this.

Ed Sutorik

Tim O'Connor

Possible candidates -- welded 40' AAR box cars

RI 27200- 27349 blt 10/1960 ACF 8' door
NJI&I 100- 149 blt 1950 ? 8' door
NJI&I 150- 199 blt ? ? 8' door
WABASH 90000- 90349 blt 6/1960 ACF 8' door
WABASH 90350- 90549 blt 7/1960 ACF 8' door
RDG 109000-109399 blt 1956 ACF 8' door
L&N 46000- 46099 blt 11/1960 ACF 8' door
L&N 46800- 46899 blt 6/1960 ACF 8' door
MEC 8400- 8599 blt 1957 ACF 8' door
WM 4201- 4450 blt 1953 ACF 8' door
WP 3421- 3422 blt 1960 ACF 8' door

Red Caboose did --

RI 59xx -- wrong ends! should be 27200 series
WABASH 900xx -- ok
RDG 109xxx -- ok

There were a number of prototypes with "carbuilder"
or "dartnot" ends with welded sides and 8' doors. I
don't have complete rosters for every railroad so there
are probably others I missed.

Tim O'Connor

EJ&E, GTW, NJI&I, RDG, SA, SEABOARD, SLSF, and SOUTHERN all had steel
cars with IL 40'6", IH 10'6", door 8'0", but it is doubtful they were
welded.

Best wishes,
Larry Ostresh

spsalso

Tim, thanks. These are definitely some interesting options that you
supplied.

Ed Sutorik