From: "Rob Kirkham" <rdkirkham@...>
To: <STMFC@...>
Sent: Tuesday, June 24, 2008 10:24 PM
Subject: [STMFC] GN1152 - type 11 tank car

I noticed this car on Ebay tonight - what looks like a AC&F type 11 car with
the upper tank made of 5 radial courses; the lower tank one single
horizontal course. Ebay auction 160252407483. Single rivet seems used
except along the horizontal seem. I can't tell if it was an 8000 or 10000
gallon car? Would this have been original equipment on the GN or someon
else's purchase, sold as used later on?

Rob Kirkham

Jim Betz

Rob,

This is a company diesel service car - used to haul diesel to the
various GN facilities for re-fueling equipment. The give-away is that
the number is X-1152. The fact that it is in a string of cars that
includes an ATSF tank -may- mean that it is not on GN rails at the
time the pic was taken. But not necessarily.

I have never thought of this but does anyone know what was the
common practice with respect to how these house cars got re-filled?
Did they get hauled all the way to a refinery/oil dealer or did
the RRs take delivery at some place on line and put the fuel in
large storage tanks and then transfer it to the various locations
from there?
- Jim in San Jose

Rich Yoder

Hi Rob,
I am by no means an ACF Tank car expert but to my eye this isn't an ACF
car. I think it's too long to be from the type 11 series which was very
similar to the type 7 cars in design which I am very familiar with. Type
7 cars were all 33' long with the tank diameter differing to obtain a
greater capacity. In addition the dome appears to be much larger in
diameter than an ACF style dome of the early teens vintage.

Sincerely, Rich Yoder
7 Edgedale Court
Wyomissing PA 19610-1913
610-678-2834 after 6:00PM est until 10:00PM
www.richyodermodels.com

I noticed this car on Ebay tonight - what looks like a AC&F type 11 car
with
the upper tank made of 5 radial courses; the lower tank one single
horizontal course. Ebay auction 160252407483. Single rivet seems used
except along the horizontal seem. I can't tell if it was an 8000 or
10000
gallon car? Would this have been original equipment on the GN or someon

else's purchase, sold as used later on?

Rob Kirkham

Rob Kirkham <rdkirkham@...>

Hi Rich,

You've made a rivet counter out of me this evening..... (Nah! I was already a rivet counter - Go Archer!). I was counting the double rivet row along the horizontal seem on the GN tank - and to make it easy counted just the top row of rivets for the first (nearest) course - numbering 26 I think. That took me to Ed Kaminski's "Tank Cars" where I stumbled across GN295589 - a 12000 gallon car - see p.86. Too dark an image to count rivets however. But SP49107 on p.93 - also 12000 gallons - does show the rivets well - and I count 26 there as well (assuming two largely hidden by the tank band).

So assuming the rivet spacing is a fairly predictable basis for estimating the length of comparable design and vintage tank cars, I don't think a case can be sustained that the GN car in the E-bay photo was too long to be AC&F. But I'd be happy to give it another thought if I'm missing something here.

Rob Kirkham

I noticed this car on Ebay tonight - what looks like a AC&F type 11 car
with
the upper tank made of 5 radial courses; the lower tank one single
horizontal course. Ebay auction 160252407483. Single rivet seems used
except along the horizontal seem. I can't tell if it was an 8000 or
10000
gallon car? Would this have been original equipment on the GN or someon

else's purchase, sold as used later on?

Rob Kirkham

Staffan Ehnbom <staffan.ehnbom@...>

The GN X1152 used to be in the GN295575-295614 series so if Ed Kaminsky's picture of the 295589 is an AC&F builders photo the cars were built for the GN by AC&F in 1913 according to the GN diagram. It was 12000 gallon capy, tank length 34'10, diameter 7'10.

Staffan Ehnbom

> I am by no means an ACF Tank car expert but to my eye this isn't an ACF
> car. I think it's too long to be from the type 11 series which was very
> similar to the type 7 cars in design which I am very familiar with. Type
> 7 cars were all 33' long with the tank diameter differing to obtain a
> greater capacity. In addition the dome appears to be much larger in
> diameter than an ACF style dome of the early teens vintage.
>
> Sincerely, Rich Yoder
> 7 Edgedale Court
> Wyomissing PA 19610-1913
> 610-678-2834 after 6:00PM est until 10:00PM
> www.richyodermodels.com

Brian Leppert <b.leppert@...>

Last Wednesday I wrote:
--- In STMFC@..., "Brian Leppert" <b.leppert@...> wrote:

Rob,
It's from GN series X1125-X1164, built by PSC, 1913. 12,000 gallons.
This info from Great Northern Railway Historical Society's Reference
Sheet
No. 211.
I screwed up. The Reference Sheet states ACF, not PSC.

Sorry,
Brian Leppert
Carson City, NV

Rich Yoder

Ok Guys,
You have me confused.
Is it a 12,000 gallon type 11 car built by ACF?
Or something else?

Sincerely, Rich Yoder
7 Edgedale Court
Wyomissing PA 19610-1913
610-678-2834 after 6:00PM est until 10:00PM
www.richyodermodels.com

It's from GN series X1125-X1164, built by PSC, 1913. 12,000 gallons.
This info from Great Northern Railway Historical Society's Reference
Sheet
No. 211.
I screwed up. The Reference Sheet states ACF, not PSC.

Sorry,
Brian Leppert
Carson City, NV

Rob Kirkham <rdkirkham@...>

All I can say is that with the Tank Cars book example, the GNRHS Reference Sheet and the general appearance of the car, it looks like an approx. 12000 gallon AC&F type 11 tank car. What it is - that I don't know, although I know how I'd guess.

Rob Kirkham

It's from GN series X1125-X1164, built by PSC, 1913. 12,000 gallons.
This info from Great Northern Railway Historical Society's Reference
Sheet
No. 211.
I screwed up. The Reference Sheet states ACF, not PSC.

Sorry,
Brian Leppert
Carson City, NV

Rich Yoder

Thank you Rob, I think you are right.

Sincerely, Rich Yoder
7 Edgedale Court
Wyomissing PA 19610-1913
610-678-2834 after 6:00PM est until 10:00PM
www.richyodermodels.com

All I can say is that with the Tank Cars book example, the GNRHS
Reference
Sheet and the general appearance of the car, it looks like an approx.
12000
gallon AC&F type 11 tank car. What it is - that I don't know, although
know how I'd guess.

Rob Kirkham