B&O boxcar red

rickstern845215 <rstern1@...>

I've just completed one of the Sunshine B&O Mansard Roof box cars,
ready to paint it. The instructions say "The paint used on B&O boxcars
was a bright red, but not as deep in tone as a caboose red. over time
this red seems to have faded toward a pink".

I'd appreciate suggestions for a Polly Scale paint mix that would
reflect a slightly weathered paint job. This seems to rule out the
typical boxcar red (brownish), though maybe Mineral Red (mixed with
caboose red??) would be OK?

Thanks
Rick

Frederick Freitas <prrinvt@...>

Rick,

         You might try a LHS that stocks Testors model master paints in military colors.
Over the past years I have had a great time "finding" colors that are not usually availble when building cars. Experiment with some on some scrap, then weather it. The final result mqay surprise you.

Fred Freitas
Bennington, Vt

I've just completed one of the Sunshine B&O Mansard Roof box cars,
ready to paint it. The instructions say "The paint used on B&O boxcars
was a bright red, but not as deep in tone as a caboose red. over time
this red seems to have faded toward a pink".

I'd appreciate suggestions for a Polly Scale paint mix that would
reflect a slightly weathered paint job. This seems to rule out the
typical boxcar red (brownish), though maybe Mineral Red (mixed with
caboose red??) would be OK?

Thanks
Rick

rickstern845215 <rstern1@...>

Thanks Fred.

Good advice, and I'll check into it.

Perhaps the question I should also have asked is for color photos of &O
boxcars. Recognizing that colors can come through odd on the web,
seeing some next to other cars might provide some idea of how to go
with this.

Thanks
Rick

Bruce Smith

On Fri, July 4, 2008 5:31 pm, rickstern845215 wrote:
I've just completed one of the Sunshine B&O Mansard Roof box cars,
ready to paint it. The instructions say "The paint used on B&O boxcars
was a bright red, but not as deep in tone as a caboose red. over time
this red seems to have faded toward a pink".

I'd appreciate suggestions for a Polly Scale paint mix that would
reflect a slightly weathered paint job. This seems to rule out the
typical boxcar red (brownish), though maybe Mineral Red (mixed with
caboose red??) would be OK?

Thanks
Rick
Rick,

As with most issues of color, you need to specify a time frame. When new,
these cars were a very brown red. I used Poly Scale Roof Brown with a bit
of Boxcar Red. That might be a bit too brown, but my M-26 in that color
looks pretty good. Post WWII, the B&Os color became significantly redder.
On Virtual Modelers the consensus seems to be Boxcar Red pre 1945 adn
Zinc Chromate post 1945.

Regards
Bruce

Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

ltctilley

I use PollyS Special Oxide Red 414354. Then after decaling, I use light
vertical brush strokes with testors dulcote (it often makes the decals run, just
like the real letters chalk). Then a light overspray with very thin oxide
red again and a little grime.
Chris Tilley

In a message dated 7/4/2008 11:30:15 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
rstern1@cinci.rr.com writes:

Thanks Fred.

Good advice, and I'll check into it.

Perhaps the question I should also have asked is for color photos of &O
boxcars. Recognizing that colors can come through odd on the web,
seeing some next to other cars might provide some idea of how to go
with this.

Thanks
Rick

rwitt_2000

Bruce Smith wrote:

[...]

Bruce's suggestions are essentially correct.

If you can find a Red Caboose model of a B&O M-26 ARA boxcar it is very
close to what color was used in the mid to late 1950's. Chris Barkan
worked very closely with Red Caboose to get both the lettering and the
paint colors correct. The pre-WWII boxcar paint colors were a darker
brown.

Post 1960, beyond the time frame for this list, some shops use a paint
color that had a hint of "orange". I never observed a B&O boxcar
weathering to "pink".

Bob Witt
Indianapolis, Indiana

jim_mischke <jmischke@...>

Several thoughts:

- Post 1945, with linking 13 states or billboard "B&O" lettering,
B&O boxcars were a bright oxide red. Scalecoat II red oxide is
outstanding. Floquil zinc chomate primer is a runner up.

- Prototype B&O paint practice is a subject of ongoing research.
The exact hue depended on the paint vendor de jour, different paint
manufacturers have different formulations. B&O had its standards but
why bother?

- Before 1945, with plain Kuhler capitol dome or no heralds, B&O
boxcars were a chocolate brown. This color weathered very quickly,
so exact brown hue may be irrelevent. If Bob Witt says Floquil roof
brown with a hint of bright oxide red does the job, go with his
wisdom.

- The M-27b and M-27f extended roofs were to maintain inside height
and give new Evans autoloading racks a place to be stowed out of the
way. Technically, they are callrd patented Tatum XLT roofs. The
Mansard name is a fiction Mr. Lofton invented to call it something.

- In this thread, it was suggested that Red Caboose B&O M-26 boxcars
have a decent color to be emulated. Partly true. I have a car from
every run and all are palpably different. The first run is simply
the PRR X29 color, not quite B&O. The next run was under the close
supervision of B&O freight car guru (now emeritus) Chris Barkan and
was a bulls eye. From then on it drifts. Red Caboose's Chinese
partners make up fresh paint every time and seem to know nothing
about color matching or Pantone swatches. Some of this is employee
turnover, there is no organizational memory over there. In practise,
the best we can hope for is something close, not exact. When they
get it right, savor it ... it will not happen again.