Lima NYC/NISX stock car model

David Smith

There's a set of NYC/NISX 45' stock car models (Lima N-scale) currently
offered on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/N-Scale-4-x-45-Stock-Cars-New-York-Central-System_W0QQitemZ300242708141QQihZ020QQcategoryZ486QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

or *http://tinyurl.com/6njaz6*

I've looked around the RPI site and the Canada Southern Site without finding
any match and I've looked up the NISX reporting marks in the NRHS database
and found them listed for North American Car Company, but listed as
beginning in 1961.

Are these model cars a legitimate model for an NYC prototype? For anything
else? Are the NISX marks correct? Are they in-era?

Thanks for any illumination,

Dave Smith

Richard Hendrickson

On Jul 18, 2008, at 4:44 PM, David Smith wrote:

There's a set of NYC/NISX 45' stock car models (Lima N-scale)
currently
offered on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/N-Scale-4-x-45-Stock-Cars-New-York-Central-
System_W0QQitemZ300242708141QQihZ020QQcategoryZ486QQssPageNameZWDVWQQr
dZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

or *http://tinyurl.com/6njaz6*

I've looked around the RPI site and the Canada Southern Site
without finding
any match and I've looked up the NISX reporting marks in the NRHS
database
and found them listed for North American Car Company, but listed as
beginning in 1961.

Are these model cars a legitimate model for an NYC prototype? For
anything
else? Are the NISX marks correct? Are they in-era?

No, no, and no. The models don't accurately represent any prototype
stock cars, as far as I can tell; for one thing, stock cars had long
since ceased to be built new before the late style Dreadnaught ends
were introduced. North American did not use NISX reporting marks,
nor did they lease stock cars to the NYC, during the steam/transition
era. And green paint? Whose idea was that?

Richard Hendrickson

David North <davenorth@...>

No, no, and no. The models don't accurately represent any prototype
stock cars, as far as I can tell; for one thing, stock cars had long
since ceased to be built new before the late style Dreadnaught ends
were introduced. North American did not use NISX reporting marks,
nor did they lease stock cars to the NYC, during the steam/transition
era. And green paint?

Whose idea was that?

Richard Hendrickson

Hi Richard,

Probably the same person who painted the n scale ATSF stock cars green
(VBG).

Cheers

Dave

Tim O'Connor

Richard, I have a scan of NISX 167, a 40ft Mather stock car
lettered for North American Car Co. I also have a shot of a
50ft rebuild of a Mather stock car, NISX 3147, painted green
with a NYC herald. Mike Dudley did a beautiful kitbash of
NISX 3139 that he brought to an RPM meet.

As you correctly point out, these were not steam era cars.
The photos are from the early 1960's.

Tim O'Connor

On Jul 19, 2008, at 7:45 AM, Tim O'Connor wrote:

Richard, I have a scan of NISX 167, a 40ft Mather stock car
lettered for North American Car Co. I also have a shot of a
50ft rebuild of a Mather stock car, NISX 3147, painted green
with a NYC herald. Mike Dudley did a beautiful kitbash of
NISX 3139 that he brought to an RPM meet.

As you correctly point out, these were not steam era cars.
The photos are from the early 1960's

Yes, I have several photos of ex-Mather cars with NISX reporting
marks, but all from the '60s. And I think I was aware that North
American leased stock cars to the NYC just before the Penn Central
catastrophe, though I didn't know they were painted green (and I'd
have expected them to be the same lighter green that NYC applied to
its own cars, not the dark green on the models). Anyway, those Lima
models were a disaster SO twentieth century and typical of the old
days when N "scale" wasn't a scale at all but an accumulation of
bogus toy trains. Those of us who model in HO are well aware, of
course, that the accuracy and detail of the models now available to
us are vastly better than what we had twenty years ago, but the
progress in HO pales in comparison to how far N scale has come in the
direction of real scale modeling. For example, Dalman and National
B-1 trucks in N scale? Who'd have imagined that back in the 1980s?

Richard Hendrickson

Charlie Vlk

The Lima N Scale stock car, like all the Lima N freight cars except the Bay Window Caboose, was fudged to
fit on a common 45'.underframe. It actually looks very much like the CB&Q 50' stockcar SM-19C which were
50' cars.
The "kitbashed" Mathers were interesting cars; I remember seeing them on the "Racetrack" at the Q Congress Park IHB interchange in both CB&Q and NISX
liveries. I have a copy of a drawing for 50' cars with steel ends that AFAIK never got built; the need for stockcars disappeared before they got into production.
Charlie Vlk

Charlie Vlk

The CB&Q SM-19C cars were built by Havelock Shops in Nov and Dec of 1962. They have
Stanray Diagonal Panel Roofs and 4/5 Improved Dreadnaught ends. The N Scale Lima car
has the same arrangement of truss and slats as the Q car but the roof and ends are incorrect.
Charlie Vlk

.

No virus found in thiNo, no, and no. The models don't accurately represent any prototype stock cars, as far as I can tell; for one thing, stock cars had long since ceased to be built new before the late style Dreadnaught ends were introduced. North American did not use NISX reporting marks, nor did they lease stock cars to the NYC, during the steam/transition era. And green paint? Whose idea was that?Richard Hendricksons incoming message.

Richard Hendrickson

On Jul 21, 2008, at 11:27 AM, Charlie Vlk wrote:

The CB&Q SM-19C cars were built by Havelock Shops in Nov and Dec of
1962. They have
Stanray Diagonal Panel Roofs and 4/5 Improved Dreadnaught ends. The
N Scale Lima car
has the same arrangement of truss and slats as the Q car but the
roof and ends are incorrect.
Charlie Vlk

No, no, and no. The models don't accurately represent any prototype
stock cars, as far as I can tell; for one thing, stock cars had
long since ceased to be built new before the late style Dreadnaught
ends were introduced. North American did not use NISX reporting
marks, nor did they lease stock cars to the NYC, during the steam/
transition era. And green paint? Whose idea was that?

Richard Hendrickson

What's your point, Charlie? Is this intended as a defense of Lima's
toy stock car, the only problems with which are that it was 45' long,
had the wrong ends and roof, and was painted dark green? In any
case, why are you citing the Q's SM-19C class, since it was built
well beyond the cutoff date for this list.

Richard Hendrickson

Charlie Vlk

Richard-
As the thread wandered from the specific Lima N Scale car, I thought I would add some information about the nearest prototype to
the Lima car. I am not defending a car that has been resized to fit a common underframe (in fact, in my role as a consultant have
recommended to Hornby that none of the Lima freight cars are worth refurbishing except as mold bases for new inserts).
The SM-19Cs were an extension of the SM-19A (composite ends) and SM-19B (improved Dreadnaught ends) classes which were 40 ft cars
.... and, while technically beyond the dates of this list, of some interest in that the cars were built as an extension of steam era car types so
late in the game and were constructed as 50 footers with only a change in subclass and not class as would be expected.
Charlie Vlk