From: Schuyler Larrabee <schuyler.larrabee@...>
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Saturday, July 19, 2008 10:13:07 AM
Subject: RE: [STMFC] Re: Athearn's Genesis PS2 covered hoppers

It's like selling manure and ice cream in the same aisle.

Ben Hom
The ice cream is the refrigerated stuff.

Could we pay attention to the original request? Where can I get the ERIE 3 bay car?

SGL

Tim O'Connor

Tim O'Connor wrote:
Evidently Athearn is discontinuing Genesis freight cars.

This is unfortunate marketing strategy, as "Ready to Roll" covers a
wide spectrum of quality, all the way from built up cars from the old
blue box line to the newly tooled cars such as the 65 ft mill gon, the
SFRD 50 ft ice reefers, and the aformentioned newly tooled PS-2
models. It's like selling manure and ice cream in the same aisle.
Ben Hom

Ben

I agree with you about the difference in quality, but Athearn has
already released many newly tooled cars in the R-T-R line that are
very high quality -- those you mentioned plus a number of 1960's
to 2000's freight cars that are also what I would definitely call
"Intermountain quality" or better. Whatever the reason, they seem
to have decided on "R-T-R" and "Blue Box" as their freight car
lines. The strategy may be to get people to buy the old stuff at
inflated prices, by using the newer stuff as an enticement.

I don't think it means we'll be getting no more new models! That
would be tragic. :-)

Tim O'Connor

Schuyler Larrabee

It's like selling manure and ice cream in the same aisle.

Ben Hom

The ice cream is the refrigerated stuff.

Could we pay attention to the original request? Where can I get the ERIE 3 bay car?

SGL

benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@...>

Tim O'Connor wrote:
"BTW they're not Genesis, just Ready To Roll. Evidently Athearn
is discontinuing Genesis freight cars. Some former Genesis cars
are being released as R-T-R."

This is unfortunate marketing strategy, as "Ready to Roll" covers a
wide spectrum of quality, all the way from built up cars from the old
blue box line to the newly tooled cars such as the 65 ft mill gon, the
SFRD 50 ft ice reefers, and the aformentioned newly tooled PS-2
models. It's like selling manure and ice cream in the same aisle.

Ben Hom

Tim O'Connor

Schuyler

The ERIE GV 2893's had evenly spaced hatches and 70t ASF A-3
roller bearing trucks. If you change the hatches the Athearn
car is a very close match, as Ed says.

BTW they're not Genesis, just Ready To Roll. Evidently Athearn
is discontinuing Genesis freight cars. Some former Genesis cars
are being released as R-T-R.

Tim O'Connor

Schuyler,
Just so you are aware, Erie didn't have any 2,893 c.f. PS-2s. Rather,
the railroad had 100 GV-2s (21800-21899, built 7-57) of the same
capacity built by Greenville Steel Car Co. There were some differences
in the Pullman-Standard and Greenville designs; not huge differences,
but differences nonetheless. Having said that, the Athearn PS-2 model
will probably be the closest model produced to the 3-bay GV-2 since
there were only three groups of 3-bay GV-2s ever built (only two in the
STMFC time period). Besides the Erie cars, GM&O received 100 cars in
1957 while D&RGW got 150 cars 7 months too late for STMFC discussion.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

Scott Pitzer

--- In STMFC@..., "benjaminfrank_hom" <b.hom@...> wrote:
Scott, I don't get why you think either model is "vintage blue box".
While it's true that Athearn now has the tooling for the old MDC 2003
cu PS-2, both of the aformentioned are from new tooling.

Ben Hom
Ben,
That's not what I said. I said the opposite of what you said I said...
(say what?)

Scott Pitzer

benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@...>

Schuyler Larrabee wrote:
"Athearn did these in ERIE paint, gray, with the large ERIE lettering.
I was apparently completely preoccupied, probably with something
worthless like work, when these came out, and only recently found that
they'd been issued. My dealer is unable to get them from Horizon; they
just recently advised him that his 'backorder was cancelled.'

If one of you happens to see them in a hobby shop somewhere, please
advise me where it is. Thanks."

Scott Pitzer replied:
"All I know is that model isn't Genesis. It's 'modern state of the
(blue box) art.'"

We've got to clear up some confusion here. The most recent "Erie
related" PS-2 release is the newly tooled two bay 2600 cu ft model in
EL:
http://www.athearn.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=ATH95528

It was annouced in January. This is not a steam-to-diesel transition
era kit, but one that 1960s and later modelers have needed for some
time.

The Erie 2893 three-bay car was annouced in March 2007 and is listed as
discontinued on Athearn's website.
http://www.athearn.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=ATH93761

On Jul 18, 2008, at 8:37 PM, Schuyler Larrabee wrote:

[...]

Yes, I am fully aware of that and also what the differences are (at least some of them). But as you
say, best game in town, and it is >extremely< unlikely that anyone will ever do these in plastic.
Therefore, I'll take these (presuming that I can find them).

BTW, does anyone know when these were released?

SGL

Ed Hawkins

[...]

La vita e breve, mangiate prima il dolce!