Seaboard Boxcars

Brian J Carlson <brian@...>

Tonight was Seaboard boxcar night. Going thru the ORER data I came across
some interesting things (interesting to me anyway). First there is Seaboard
boxcar 20053, 40'-6" boxcar and an 8'x8' IH, and a whopping 20' x 7'-11"
door opening. What the heck needed a 20' wide side opening,and what sort of
door/carbody reinforcement was required? John Golden do you know? None of
the ORER notes offer any help. Photos anywhere?

Second, I am looking for more information on the 14000-14999 series of cars.
These were 40 6 with 8 7 IH. The ORER says "Box, Closed" in the markings and
kind of cars column. What does Closed mean? Most Seaboard entries have this.
Is this to differentiate for their ventilated cars? Were these 14000 series
cars single sheathed or steel sheathed?

Lastly from a modeling stand point it appears Seaboard turtleback kits are
still available from Sunshine (55.6-55.9) I assume the round roofs are cast
as one thick piece. Is there any top heavy issues with the solid resin roof.
I assume these are not wrapped like the B&O round roof cars, am I correct?
Thanks
Brian J Carlson P.E.
Cheektowaga NY

golden1014

Hi Brian,

Sorry for the late reply but I'm in Little Rock for three weeks and
my WiFi quit the other day, so I'm down to sharing the billeting
office computer.

Real quick, everything depends on what year ORER you're looking at,
since SAL box cars were a real mixed bag in the ten years following
WWII. The 20' door car is a specially rebuilt B-5 composite box car
with two 10' doors on each side, staggered, for lumber loading. I'll
send you some pictures when I get my WiFi back. SAL did an
experimental car and then rebuilt ten more that were even more
differnet than the experimental car. I recal these cars were rebuilt
in the early 50s.

The 14000-series car were former B-4 and B-5 composite cars that were
rebuilt with steel sides in 1951-54. Again, I have tons of photos of
these cars and I'll send you some as soon as I can. You'll note in
earlier ORERs that the 14000 series was vacant from about 1930 to
1950. SAL populated the 14000 series with the rebuilt cars, so they
appear to be a new entry, but they are actually rebuilt cars.

I've built two of the Sunshine cars and don't have any problem with
tracking or fit. I have however, had a lot of trouble fitting the
roof on a Sunshine SAL AF-1. Yes, the roof is a separate piece and
you shouldn't have the problems that Sunshine B&O cars have.

Also, I don't know what "closed" box car means but I'll assume
(there's that word again) that it's just a plain old box car. Maybe
Ed or Richard can elaborate. I never really thought about it. Perhaps
it was used to differentiate between the vents--that's a really good
thought.

More to follow!
John

John Golden
Bloomington, IN

--- In STMFC@..., "Brian J Carlson" <brian@...> wrote:

[...]

Richard Hendrickson

On Jul 21, 2008, at 8:15 AM, John Golden wrote:

Also, I don't know what "closed" box car means but I'll assume
(there's that word again) that it's just a plain old box car. Maybe
Ed or Richard can elaborate. I never really thought about it. Perhaps
it was used to differentiate between the vents--that's a really good
thought.

In the SAL's ORER entries in the 1930s and '40s, all box cars are
identified as either "ventilated" or "closed" (i.e., without
ventilators).

Richard Hendrickson