From: destron@...
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Tuesday, July 22, 2008 2:36 PM
Subject: [STMFC] Tank car question

Hopefully this is enough within the scope of this list to be okay... it
*is* steam era, and it *is* railway, and it *is* American... made.

http://galerija.railserbia.net/details.php?image_id=793

On the photo visible in the link above is an American-made tank car that
ended up with the Yugoslavian Railways; the one above was taken in
Belgrade (Serbia) but I've personally seen one in Ljubljana (Slovenia) on
a storage track at the railway museum at Ljubljana-Siska, and what I'm
pretty sure was one of these cars at the Doboj yards in Bosnia.

Technical and other information I can get from the Serbian and Croatian
railway forums, but I'm wondering if anyone knows of a model that could be
used to model these cars?

Thanks.

Frank Valoczy
Vancouver, BC

-----
http://hydrorail.hostwq.net/index.html - Rails along the Fraser
http://hydrorail.rrpicturearchives.net/ - Rail Photos

benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@...>

Frank Voloczy asked:
http://galerija.railserbia.net/details.php?image_id=793
<<snip>>
"...I'm wondering if anyone knows of a model that could be used to
model these cars?"

Bruce Smith replied:
"There is an HO scale model of this car produced by Klein Modellbahn
of Austria that might be a starting point for a decently detailed
model."

Here's a direct link to the model:
http://www.kleinmb.at/kmb3609.htm

Another possible approach is the one used by Mark Feddersen as
detailed in "Tank Car Pleasure: Twin dome kit modifications" in the
July 1988 issue of Mainline Modeler. Even though the articles are
twenty years old, the two Feddersen tank car articles (MM October
1985, July 1988) and the one written by Jeff English (MM June 1988)
deserve a second look, as they are especially creative solutions for
building tank car models for prototypes that are not covered by any
kits.

Ben Hom

Bruce Smith

On Jul 21, 2008, at 11:36 PM, destron@... wrote:

Hopefully this is enough within the scope of this list to be okay... it
*is* steam era, and it *is* railway, and it *is* American... made.

http://galerija.railserbia.net/details.php?image_id=793

On the photo visible in the link above is an American-made tank car that
ended up with the Yugoslavian Railways; the one above was taken in
Belgrade (Serbia) but I've personally seen one in Ljubljana (Slovenia) on
a storage track at the railway museum at Ljubljana-Siska, and what I'm
pretty sure was one of these cars at the Doboj yards in Bosnia.

Technical and other information I can get from the Serbian and Croatian
railway forums, but I'm wondering if anyone knows of a model that could be
used to model these cars?

Thanks.

Frank Valoczy
Frank,

We have talked about these tank cars a number of times here on this list. This is, as you note, a US built tank car. Most likely built for use in WWII. It is s SINGLE compartment tank with 2 domes (note the lack of any rivets for tank bulkheads). Only one dome has a hatch. This construction allowed enough expansion space while maintaining the tighter european clearances.

There is an HO scale model of this car produced by Klein Modellbahn of Austria that might be a starting point for a decently detailed model.
http://www.kleinmb.at/homepage.htm

In our last discussion of this car, it was noted that at least one car was likely used in the US on the C&O however this would be an incredibly rare car on US rails ;^)

Regards
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith
Auburn, AL