Box Shook & also BIG railway loads

cripete <pjboylanboylan@...>

BIG LOADS
The largest capacity railway and heaviest
loads is seen in multiple images and
discussed here:
< http://www.e-river.ru/gallery/shipelevator/gal=01/ >

BOX SHOOKS
Shook is from the Dutch here, although Plodeutsch
speaking Pennsylvanian's and archaic UK
dialects spoken by nonconforming dissenters of
Anabaptist and similar persuasions, would
have had it in their vocabulary. It means
(basically) a kit, or a disassembled object-
shook apart, if you will.
So we should be right at home with it given our
kit work. The verb to shake come from same roots.

A Century ago and through the 1960s there was
a BARUCH BOX SHOOK Company located at Court
Street in Brooklyn. Wood sheathed boxcars with
their address on them were extant circa 1900.
They manufactured boxes and made comntainers while
also selling components for cooperage (staves,
hoops,bungs, etc.), as well as for packing cases.
I think these cars belonged to some outfit like
Jay Street Connecting or other dock railway, that
provided team trackage for BBS.
Court Street was served only by street cars so
I don't think they had direct delivery. On the
other hand they could: 1) only have had offices
at Court Street and/or; 2) freight cars were
teamstered down street railway trackage at night
to them.

Brooklyn, was next to Philadelphia
as having the most diverse manufacturing
establishment in the nation. The port of Brooklyn
was loaded with export packers and freight
forwarders specializing in packaging up and
expediting high value manufactures to the world.
Brooklyn also was loaded with firms and
premises for receiving, warehousing and brokering
similar imported high value goods.

RAILROAD magazine 1n the 40s and 50s had a
section devoted to model railroading. They also
would have prototype materials related to any
scratch building projects. Somewhere in that
period they had an article that built an open
barrel box , which is I think the source of the
present YE OLDE HUFFn'PUFF kit. Regardless,
there is an image of such a car with BBS Co.
lettering in a RAILROAD from that period.
I puzzled over that later when I was older,
and better understood the nature of trade.
Why would a Brooklyn firm need to ship
cooperage by rail, and to whom. Perhaps, they
were specialized wet barrels (charred for liquor
or chemicals needing them, oil sealed for
commestible oils, etc.)and maybe short haul rail
was the most cost effective way to deliver barrels
to customers ( e.g. on interior Long Island?)
at the time.
Digging in the Brooklyn image bases , and
finding old business records in the Borough's
many historical archives would reveal much
about this, as would the similar sources in
your own area of geographical focus.

Cooperage itself, was/is extremely
interesting and diverse. While the MENASHA
WOODENWARE barrel box, that is available
in multiple scales,is well known to hobbyists
for the diversity it brings to our consists -
the company itself made large amounts of wet
cooperage, but none of it used staves.
This was primarily because they made no barrels.
There were products they made that might have
benefitted from stave use. Nevertheless, they
did not use them, and they were primarily
makers of consumer wares, so other than
wholesalers warehouses, they were not going
to show up on any industrial sidings.
I hope this has been helpful.
Good-Luck, Peter Boylan