From: Tim O'Connor
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, July 27, 2008 10:20 PM
Subject: [STMFC] Location of this scene?

I'm guessing New Jersey somewhere... that Blue Ridge
coal and oil dealer may be a clue.

http://www.first-out.com/ebay/0726104.jpg

Tim O'Connor

Donald B. Valentine <riverman_vt@...>

Jeez, Andy, did any part of the Bronx ever look that bad? But I
cannot tell for certain whether the skyscraper showing is the Crysler
Building or the Empire State, though it looks more like the latter.
Which of the two is further north? You would know that better than I
and that might give us the direction in which we are looking. If it
is the Empire State or the Crysler building taken from the Bronx why
is it that more skyscrapers do not who to the left (south) of it?
Note, too, the Borden milk processing plant to the front and right
of the uncertain skyscraper. The fuel dealer, the bridge, the Borden
plant and the nearly empty skyline to the left of the primary
skyscraper lead me to the same conclusion Tim has drawn but to
specify a photo taken from Jersey City or Hoboken looking
northeasterly. Otherwise I would have to suggest from Brooklyn
looking across the southern tip of Manhattan but that bridge really
troubles me with that possible conclusion. Regrettably, I do not have
a list of where all the Borden milk processing plants were located in
the mountain of milk train material here and either location is a
strong possible for such a plant.

Now that I've muddied the waters further I'll leave you both to
draw your own conclusions.

Don Valentine

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Andy Miller" <aslmmiller@...> wrote:

I think this may be the Bronx. We are looking over the Harlem
River. There appear to be skyscrapers (Emp State bldg and Chrysler
bldg?) in the distance.

Andy Miller

Jeez, Andy, did any part of the Bronx ever look that bad? But I
cannot tell for certain whether the skyscraper showing is the Crysler
Building or the Empire State, though it looks more like the latter.
Which of the two is further north? You would know that better than I
and that might give us the direction in which we are looking. If it
is the Empire State or the Crysler building taken from the Bronx why
is it that more skyscrapers do not who to the left (south) of it?
Note, too, the Borden milk processing plant to the front and right
of the uncertain skyscraper. The fuel dealer, the bridge, the Borden
plant and the nearly empty skyline to the left of the primary
skyscraper lead me to the same conclusion Tim has drawn but to
specify a photo taken from Jersey City or Hoboken looking
northeasterly. Otherwise I would have to suggest from Brooklyn
looking across the southern tip of Manhattan but that bridge really
troubles me with that possible conclusion. Regrettably, I do not have
a list of where all the Borden milk processing plants were located in
the mountain of milk train material here and either location is a
strong possible for such a plant.

Now that I've muddied the waters further I'll leave you both to
draw your own conclusions.

Don Valentine

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Andy Miller" <aslmmiller@...> wrote:

> I think this may be the Bronx. We are looking over the Harlem
River. There appear to be skyscrapers (Emp State bldg and Chrysler
bldg?) in the distance.

> Andy Miller

dssa1051

That IC boxcar with the BEDT 0-6-0T is an Athearn car! 5/5
Dreadnaught, square corner ends. I can't make out the number.

Robert Oom

Tim O'Connor

Robert

Looks like W-corner ends to me. IC had both kinds. Nice rust
patch on it too.

Tim O'

From: "dssa1051" <dssa1051@yahoo.com>
That IC boxcar with the BEDT 0-6-0T is an Athearn car! 5/5
Dreadnaught, square corner ends. I can't make out the number.

Robert Oom

<http://www.first-out.com/ebay/0726138.jpg>

BEDT 0-6-0T w IC boxcar

Matt Herson

The photo is taken from the Bronx and is looking across the Harlem River south toward Manhattan. The bridge to the left is the 3rd Ave Bridge and it appears the photo may have been taken from the New York Central bridge to Grand Central Terminal. The Chrysler Building at 42nd Street is on Lexington Ave., the street that the camera is looking straight down. The Empire State Building at 34th St. is on 5th Ave to the west, visible near the Borden's sign.

I believe the freight cars to the left are at the Harlem Transfer Facility which was discussed here a while back.

Matt Herson

I think this may be the Bronx. We are looking over the Harlem River. There appear to be skyscrapers (Emp State bldg and Chrysler bldg?) in the distance.

Andy Miller
I'm guessing New Jersey somewhere... that Blue Ridge
coal and oil dealer may be a clue.

http://www.first-out.com/ebay/0726104.jpg

Tim O'Connor

tbarney2004

wrote:

[...]

Also, keep in mind that the Hudson river was a navigable waterway for
ocean going ships, and as such, that bridge is WAY too low (I think
the discussions I've seen about the proposed bridge crossing leading
up to the Pennsy tunnels into Manhattan mentioned U.S. Navy or USACE
minimum clearance above high tide of at least 150').

So I'd doubt it could be from Jersey looking East....or am I mistaken?
Tim Barney

Malcolm Laughlin <mlaughlinnyc@...>

The Chrysler Building at 42nd Street is on Lexington Ave., the street that the camera is looking straight down. The Empire State Building at 34th St. is on 5th Ave to the west, visible near the Borden's sign.

That doesn't compute. The building at the end of the long avenue is oviously much farther away from the camera. The Empire State Building was a half mile south of the Chrysler Building.

Malcolm Laughlin, Editor 617-489-4383
New England Rail Shipper Directories
19 Holden Road, Belmont, MA 02478

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Malcolm Laughlin wrote:
The Empire State Building was a half mile south of the Chrysler Building.
Probably still is. <g>

Publishers of books on railroad history