ACF type 7 "high walkway" tank cars - AB brakes

Rob M.

Hello List,

I've been digging so far with no avail to find any photographic
evidence of ACF type 7 "high walkway" tank cars in commercial
service with converted AB brakes. I've checked my magazines, I've
googled online and I looked at Bob's Photos at the National; all to
no avail.

I've searched and so far haven't found anything other than the
builders photos in my Kaminski book as well as the other in-service
photos (mostly graciously from the folks on this list) on Rich
Yoder's web site with K brakes.

I was hoping to do 8k and 10k cars with AB brake conversions but I
need some in-service photos that I can match up to my ORER's.

Does anyone have photos available/for sale of these cars with AB
brakes or has anyone seen any photos of them in other sources?

Thanks in advance!

Rob Mondichak
Allentown PA.

Steve Lucas <stevelucas3@...>

I picked up one of these in HO a while back. Were any of these cars
around in 1956, say, with any of the major firms--North American,
GATX, or UTLX?

Steve Lucas.

--- In STMFC@..., "Rob M." <rule292@...> wrote:

[...]

Bruce Smith

Steve,

By "one of these", do you mean a type 7 with AB brakes? Who made that model? Or a is your model the W&R brass model with K brakes? If it is the later, then the answer is a unequivocal no as K brakes were finally banned as of January 1, 1954 on all cars in interchange. IIRC, some of these cars lasted a bit past that date in MOW service on railroads, but not in general service.

And to belatedly address Rob's question, the reason you can't find photos is that few if any cars were converted. Most of the type 7s were gone by WWII, and the rest departed general service shortly thereafter. There would have been little or no financial incentive to convert these cars as they would have been 40+ years old by the conversion deadline. Why do you want to model these cars with AB brakes?

Regards
Bruce

Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

--- In STMFC@..., "Rob M." <rule292@...> wrote:

Hello List,

I've been digging so far with no avail to find any photographic
evidence of ACF type 7 "high walkway" tank cars in commercial
service with converted AB brakes. I've checked my magazines, I've
googled online and I looked at Bob's Photos at the National; all to
no avail.
<SNIP>
I was hoping to do 8k and 10k cars with AB brake conversions but I
need some in-service photos that I can match up to my ORER's.

Tim O'Connor

W&R made 1, 2 and 4 dome cars with AB brakes. They represent
Northern Pacific cars in company service in the 1950's and 1960's.
The cars came with NP decals.

From: Bruce Smith <smithbf@...>
Steve,

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Bruce Smith wrote:
. . . the reason you can't find photos is that few if any cars were converted. Most of the type 7s
were gone by WWII, and the rest departed general service shortly thereafter.
There were a few T&NO cars in the late 1950s, in revenue service and converted. Seven of them survived to be renumbered at the T&NO merger into SP in 1961.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Charlie Vlk

While they were out of revenue service as on other roads, the Q had a number of them in use after WWII as auxilary water tenders
and they survived in work train service through the BN merger. There is a shot of FW&D 15017 in the Q equipment color guide that
is equipped with ABs.
Charlie Vlk

Richard Hendrickson

On Jul 31, 2008, at 9:35 AM, Anthony Thompson wrote:

Bruce Smith wrote:
. . . the reason you can't find photos is that few if any cars were
converted. Most of the type 7s
were gone by WWII, and the rest departed general service shortly
thereafter.
There were a few T&NO cars in the late 1950s, in revenue service
and converted. Seven of them survived to be renumbered at the T&NO
merger into SP in 1961.

I can add that the Santa Fe had a few Type 7s inherited from the
Kansas City, Mexico & Orient which survived in company fuel service
(but not revenue service) long enough to have been equipped with AB
brakes.

Richard Hendrickson

Steve Lucas <stevelucas3@...>

Bruce--

The car that I have is an HO brass model matching the photos (from
the Rich Yoder site) of the Type 7. I believe it to have been
imported by NWSL in the mid-70's. It has a basic AB brake set, maybe
Cal-Scale?

Steve Lucas.

--- In STMFC@..., Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Bruce,

I am still hoping that someone might have a decent shot of a GATX or
other 10k (or 8k) car in revenue service with AB brakes. I model
through the mid 50's so the days of the K brakes would be dwindling.

Rich Yoder site does have a shot of an 8k POCX car with AB brakes and
what appears to be an 8/54 stencil date on a recently painted car. It
shows the reservoir and brackets reasonably clearly; if others were
converted it would be nice to see how the brake cylinder was mounted
to it's mount as well as the pipe bracket to it's mounting.

--- In STMFC@..., "Rob M." <rule292@> wrote:

[...]

Sorry group, re-sent since my sig was deleted; don't want to offend
the mods.

On Jul 31, 2008, at 11:57 AM, Steve Lucas wrote:

The car that I have is an HO brass model matching the photos (from
the Rich Yoder site) of the Type 7. I believe it to have been
imported by NWSL in the mid-70's. It has a basic AB brake set, maybe
Cal-Scale?

Steve, the model you have was based on a second (or third or fourth)
hand logging RR water car which still existed at that time. NWSL
modeled a lot of logging RR stuff but didn't know (and perhaps didn't
care) that the car was an AC&F Type 7, or even that it was car of a
standard design that was widely used in revenue service.

Richard Hendrickson

john riddell <jriddell@...>

There is a photo of one of these in Morning Sun book, Canadian Railways Color Guide vol 1.
Page 114 at bottom shows a 1958 color view of CNOX 9050 which appears to still have a K brake system. Capy was 6,687 Imp gallons.
CNOX was Canadian Oil Companies Ltd. which marketed the White Rose brand of gasoline.

The British American Oil Company Ltd. (B/A) had at least one of these (BAOX 671) on Vancouver Island in 1953. It was painted green and carried the large B/A red and green roundel. It retained its K brake system in 1953. Capy was 8,423 Imp gallons.

John Riddell

Steve Lucas <stevelucas3@...>

Thanks, Richard!

I'm looking at the model as I type this. It is a model lean on
details, but appears a good start for modelling a Type 7 car. Rivet
detail is very understated on the tank. A bit of work ought to bring
this model up to today's modelling standards. There is not much
detail, such as brake rigging, on the underside of this model, which
makes it easy to replace the AB brake set with a K.

John Riddell has cited a Canadian private owner, British-American Oil
(B/A), that used Type 7 cars. So this car is due for paint
stripping, re-detailing, and painting as a B/A tank car for my
layout. I might add that I'll happen to be modelling a B/A dealer in
Lindsay, Ontario on my October, 1956 layout.

Thanks to everyone for your help,

Steve Lucas.

--- In STMFC@..., Richard Hendrickson