Topics

RAILMODEL JOURNAL

Mont Switzer <mhts_switzerm@...>

Editor Bob S. called last nigh to advise that June 2008 was the last issue.  It featured a nice multi-compartment tank car article by Richard Hendrickson.

Mont Switzer

Richard Eaton

--- In STMFC@..., Mont Switzer <mhts_switzerm@...> wrote:

Editor Bob S. called last nigh to advise that June 2008 was the last
issue.  It featured a nice multi-compartment tank car article by
Richard Hendrickson.

Mont Switzer
If so, that's the second Denver-area railroad magazine to fold with
more than a year's worth of my subscription remaining .... Of course,
there will be no refunds.

Dick Eaton
RGM&HS

Mont Switzer <mhts_switzerm@...>

For what it is worth I was told the authors would be paid and in my case I see that that had already happened.  I believe how they handle their outstanding subscription liability is yet to be seen.

Mont Switzer

Editor Bob S. called last nigh to advise that June 2008 was the last
issue.  It featured a nice multi-compartment tank car article by
Richard Hendrickson.

Mont Switzer
If so, that's the second Denver-area railroad magazine to fold with
more than a year's worth of my subscription remaining .... Of course,
there will be no refunds.

Dick Eaton
RGM&HS

Jon Miller <atsf@...>

To bad, this was my second best mag after RMC. While having some modern stuff, they had very good coverage of our time frame.

Jon Miller
AT&SF
For me time stopped in 1941
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

armprem

Three railroad magazines have gone the way of steam.This may be a harbinger of things to come within the hobby as a whole.Armand Premo

To bad, this was my second best mag after RMC. While having some modern
stuff, they had very good coverage of our time frame.

Jon Miller
AT&SF
For me time stopped in 1941
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

al_brown03

Mr. Schleicher's June editorial is a retrospective, on the publishing
history and editorial philosophy of his magazines. The editorial
didn't say this issue was the last, but it did give one to wonder. So
the news is sad but not all that surprising.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

--- In STMFC@..., "Armand Premo" <armprem@...> wrote:

Three railroad magazines have gone the way of steam.This may be
harbinger of things to come within the hobby as a whole.Armand Premo
To bad, this was my second best mag after RMC. While having
some
modern
stuff, they had very good coverage of our time frame.

Jon Miller
AT&SF
For me time stopped in 1941
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

5/23/2008
7:20 AM

Kurt Laughlin <fleeta@...>

I'd expect the end of print magazines before the end of the hobby itself.

KL

From: Dick <jaguar66@...>
To: STMFC@...
Date: Saturday, August 9, 2008, 9:19 AM

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups. com, Mont Switzer <mhts_switzerm@ ...> wrote:

> Editor Bob S. called last nigh to advise that June 2008 was the last
issue. It featured a nice multi-compartment tank car article by
Richard Hendrickson.

> Mont Switzer

If so, that's the second Denver-area railroad magazine to fold with
more than a year's worth of my subscription remaining .... Of course,
there will be no refunds.

Dick Eaton
RGM&HS

Mont Switzer <mhts_switzerm@...>

Al,

I'm probably getting a little out of the STMFC bounds here.  Bob said he was not retiring, but would not say "what he had up his sleve."   He said he would be at the Chicago hobby show in October and was thinking about Naperville, also.  I'm glad to hear he will still be around.

Mont Switzer

I saw Bob at the NMRA convention. We discussed retirement but he gave me no clue it would be so sudden. - Al Westerfield

For what it is worth I was told the authors would be paid and in my case I see that that had already happened. I believe how they handle their outstanding subscription liability is yet to be seen.

Mont Switzer

Editor Bob S. called last nigh to advise that June 2008 was the last
issue. It featured a nice multi-compartment tank car article by
Richard Hendrickson.

Mont Switzer
If so, that's the second Denver-area railroad magazine to fold with
more than a year's worth of my subscription remaining .... Of course,
there will be no refunds.

Dick Eaton
RGM&HS

Mike Brock <brockm@...>

We should, of course, let Bob Schleicher, himself, explain the seemingly sudden end of RMJ. Since he is not a member of the STMFC he might choose at some point to have someone in the group offer an explaination. The problem with waiting for this to possibly happen is that rumors about the collapse of the hobby etc. and other inaccurate opinions might be presented on the group. So, I'll try to head some of this off by commenting that I spoke to Bob this morning and he noted that his publisher notified him yesterday that he was going to cease publishing the magazine. Bob had no warning of this and he, himself, had not terminated the production of the mag, himself. As Mont noted, Bob mentioned that he might do something associated with model railroading but it would not be RMJ.

Mike Brock

up4024 <thekays100@...>

I bought the first issue of RMJ and have every issue until January of
last year. I think the "Car Spotters" series was great.
Unfortunately RMJ stopped doing it and I found the mag just didn't
have much content that interested me. I still bought occasional
issues, though, and I will miss it.

Steve Kay

--- In STMFC@..., Mont Switzer <mhts_switzerm@...> wrote:

Editor Bob S. called last nigh to advise that June 2008 was the last
issue. It featured a nice multi-compartment tank car article by
Richard Hendrickson.

Mont Switzer

Schuyler Larrabee

Certainly for limited interest magazines like RMJ, that's possible. Look at TKM, which is pretty
successful.

What I see happening is that modelers with any sophistication about what they're really interested
in have two simple options:
1) join a RRHS, which increasingly offer magazines at least as well-produced as RMJ was. They
generally don't hav thee tpyos that RMC has a lot either. (RMC is my vote for the best magazine in
spite of that.)
2) join an email list, like this one, or a list about specific railroads. There are many. Some
more modeling oriented, some more prototype information oriented. Some are both.

Of course, a case can be made that TKM (and others like it) were a stake in the heart of RMJ and
MRR'ding.

SGL