What HO truck(s) do we STMFC'ers want?

SUVCWORR@...

In a message dated 8/13/2008 4:49:43 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
midcentury@... writes:

have been lobbying for a plain-journal 70 ton truck
for the past 2 years, but I, like Tim O'Connor, would
also relish a Chrysler truck for all of those
Branchline GAEX 50 foot box cars out there. I have
seen Intermountain's forthcoming 70 ton truck, and
while it is nicely done, I would prefer a Tahoe Model
Works version.

The only 70 t plain bearing truck that has been available was the Stewart
version. With the damage to the die, these are no longer available. So there
is definitely a need for a quality 70 t plain bearing truck.

I would also like to see 50 and 70 t versions of the Young and the
Barrett-Whitehead trucks.

Rich Orr

Read reviews on AOL Autos.

eabracher@...

How about some early arch bar as used on the V&T?

eric

**************
Looking for a car that's sporty, fun and fits in your
budget? Read reviews on AOL Autos.

Andy Carlson

Knowing that we have an in-house HO truck manufacturer
(Brian Leppert) on this list, I suggest that we use
this forum to influence Brian on the trucks we feel
needed.

I have been lobbying for a plain-journal 70 ton truck
for the past 2 years, but I, like Tim O'Connor, would
also relish a Chrysler truck for all of those
Branchline GAEX 50 foot box cars out there. I have
seen Intermountain's forthcoming 70 ton truck, and
while it is nicely done, I would prefer a Tahoe Model
Works version.

Any suggestions?

-Andy Carlson

Tim O'Connor

Andy

Another truck high on my list wish is a 50 ton roller
bearing truck... Let's see...

50t rolling bearing (Buckeye/National/ASF/Barber/Scullin)
50t Barber S-2 w/ spring plank
50t National C-1
50t Gould

At 8/13/2008 04:49 PM Wednesday, you wrote:
Knowing that we have an in-house HO truck manufacturer
(Brian Leppert) on this list, I suggest that we use
this forum to influence Brian on the trucks we feel
needed.

I have been lobbying for a plain-journal 70 ton truck
for the past 2 years, but I, like Tim O'Connor, would
also relish a Chrysler truck for all of those
Branchline GAEX 50 foot box cars out there. I have
seen Intermountain's forthcoming 70 ton truck, and
while it is nicely done, I would prefer a Tahoe Model
Works version.

Any suggestions?

-Andy Carlson

Frederick Freitas <prrinvt@...>

Rich,

          If Tahoe can be convinced to make them I know I will be looking far about a dozen of each type you listed. Bring on the proto parts, we need them!

Fred Freitas

(http://autos. aol.com/cars- BMW-128-2008/ expert-review? ncid=aolaut00050 000000017 )

gn3397 <heninger@...>

--- In STMFC@..., Andy Carlson <midcentury@...> wrote:

Knowing that we have an in-house HO truck manufacturer
(Brian Leppert) on this list, I suggest that we use
this forum to influence Brian on the trucks we feel
needed.

I have been lobbying for a plain-journal 70 ton truck
for the past 2 years, but I, like Tim O'Connor, would
also relish a Chrysler truck for all of those
Branchline GAEX 50 foot box cars out there. I have
seen Intermountain's forthcoming 70 ton truck, and
while it is nicely done, I would prefer a Tahoe Model
Works version.

Any suggestions?

-Andy Carlson
I would like to see a Dalman-Andrews. Unfortunately, only GN, Soo Line, and ACL
modelers could use it, to my knowledge. Oh well, I can hope.

Sincerely,
Robert D. Heninger
Iowa City, IA

al_brown03

--- In STMFC@..., "gn3397" <heninger@...> wrote:

<snip>

I would like to see a Dalman-Andrews. Unfortunately, only GN, Soo
Line, and ACL
modelers could use it, to my knowledge. Oh well, I can hope.
To your Dalman-Andrews list, I'd add several series of SAL cars. That
ACL had them too, I didn't know.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

gn3397 <heninger@...>

--- In STMFC@..., "al_brown03" <abrown@...> wrote:

--- In STMFC@..., "gn3397" <heninger@> wrote:

<snip>

I would like to see a Dalman-Andrews. Unfortunately, only GN, Soo
Line, and ACL
modelers could use it, to my knowledge. Oh well, I can hope.
To your Dalman-Andrews list, I'd add several series of SAL cars. That
ACL had them too, I didn't know.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.
Mr. Brown,

Now that you mention it, I am in error. I meant SAL. Thanks for correcting my error. I need
them for my GN cars, which I am most familiar with.

Sincerely,
Robert D. Heninger
Iowa City, IA

leakinmywaders

I'd second the 70-ton solid bearing truck and a Chrysler. I'd add to
this list a 50-ton roller bearing truck, with 5ft 6in wheelbase and
two visible facing springs. For example, the NP used an A-3 Ride
Control roller bearing design on its 40ft RBLs, and Buckeye CR Cushion
Ride on its PC&F-built 40ft mechanical reefers. 70-ton stand-ins with
longer wheelbase (aggravated by larger-than-scale wheel flanges) don't
fit properly on models of these cars.

Regards,

Chris Frissell
Polson, MT

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

eric bracher wrote:
How about some early arch bar as used on the V&T?
Would those be the H.J. Small rigid truck? They survived a long time in SPMW use.

Publishers of books on railroad history

tmolsen@...

Fred and List,

I corresponded with Brian a few months ago in regard to a solid bearing 70-Ton, three spring truck that can be used under gondolas and other cars. He said that it was on his to-do list, but he had several other projects ahead of it for as he put it, "the great unwashed", to get out of the way first.

I would also like to see several versions of solid bearing Andrews trucks in addition to the 70-Tonners and other trucks mentioned in yours and Rich Orr's post.

I have just received 14 pair of the A.R.A. 50-Ton Tahoe "Buckeye" solid bearing trucks with .088 scale wheelsets and detachable brake shoes. I have another order to send to Andy Carlson for another 22 pair for myself and two other friends.

These new trucks roll like lightning and the sideframes are crisp and clean. Just what you expect from Brian. I figure that we can keep him in business for at least another 50 years turning out new versions of trucks.

Regards,

Tom Olsen
7 Boundary Road, West Branch
Newark, Delaware, 19711-7479
(302) 738-4292
tmolsen@...

eabracher@...

In a message dated 8/13/08 10:31:43 PM, thompson@... writes:

Would those be the H.J. Small rigid truck? They survived a long
time in SPMW use.
Those are the ones. I'm sure all SP fans with MOW equipment can use them.

eric

**************

Brian Leppert <b.leppert@...>

--- In STMFC@..., "gn3397" <heninger@...> wrote:

--- In STMFC@..., "al_brown03" <abrown@> wrote:

--- In STMFC@..., "gn3397" <heninger@> wrote:
<snip>

I would like to see a Dalman-Andrews. Unfortunately, only GN,
Soo
Line, and ACL
modelers could use it, to my knowledge. Oh well, I can hope.
To your Dalman-Andrews list, I'd add several series of SAL cars.
That
ACL had them too, I didn't know.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.
Mr. Brown,

Now that you mention it, I am in error. I meant SAL. Thanks for
correcting my error. I need
them for my GN cars, which I am most familiar with.

Sincerely,
Robert D. Heninger
Iowa City, IA
Spokane, Portland & Seattle can be added to the list. These were ex-
GN gons aquired in the '50s and converted to wood chip cars.

I am aware of SAL B-5 boxcars with these trucks, but what were other
SAL classes?

Brian Leppert
Tahoe Model Works
Carson City, NV

Brian Leppert <b.leppert@...>

Andy

Another truck high on my list wish is a 50 ton roller
bearing truck... Let's see...

50t rolling bearing (Buckeye/National/ASF/Barber/Scullin)
50t Barber S-2 w/ spring plank
50t National C-1
50t Gould
Tim,

Gould made a lot of trucks. Which one did you have in mind?

Brian Leppert
Tahoe Model Works
Carson City, NV

Tim O'Connor

Brian

I was looking at a drawing but now I can't find it -- but
now I think I'd rather have those coil-leaf-coil trucks as
found on the DT&I 14000-14299 box cars.

This spring package was applied to at least two different
sideframe castings. I'll send you the excellents scans I
have of each sideframe with these interesting springs. One
of the castings (which does not match the DT&I cars) has
an ASF foundry mark.

Tim O'Connor

Another truck high on my list wish is a 50 ton roller
bearing truck... Let's see...

50t rolling bearing (Buckeye/National/ASF/Barber/Scullin)
50t Barber S-2 w/ spring plank
50t National C-1
50t Gould
Tim,

Gould made a lot of trucks. Which one did you have in mind?

Brian Leppert
Tahoe Model Works
Carson City, NV

al_brown03

I withdraw "several series". Thought I'd remembered them on the A-1
auto cars, which would've implicated some gondolas and flats too, but
on re-inspection the A-1 has regular Andrews.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

John Hile <john66h@...>

--- In STMFC@..., Andy Carlson <midcentury@...> wrote:

Knowing that we have an in-house HO truck manufacturer
(Brian Leppert) on this list, I suggest that we use
this forum to influence Brian on the trucks we feel
needed.

Any suggestions?

Put me down for 70-ton trucks in several versions...

These: http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/el/frt/erie-f8000b.jpg

These: http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/el/frt/erie10325b.jpg

Or these: http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/el/frt/dlw18602ab.jpg

John Hile
Blacksburg, VA

Richard Hendrickson

On Aug 21, 2008, at 3:09 PM, John Hile wrote:

--- In STMFC@..., Andy Carlson <midcentury@...> wrote:

Knowing that we have an in-house HO truck manufacturer
(Brian Leppert) on this list, I suggest that we use
this forum to influence Brian on the trucks we feel
needed.

Any suggestions?
Put me down for 70-ton trucks in several versions...

These: http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/el/frt/erie-f8000b.jpg

These: http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/el/frt/erie10325b.jpg

Or these: http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/el/frt/dlw18602ab.jpg

My strong preference would be for those on the Erie gon. The trucks
on the flat car were self-aligning spring-plankless, and we have
several of those in HO scale already (granted, they're supposed to be
fifty ton trucks, but on several of them the journal boxes are
sufficiently oversize that they're closer in appearance to 70 ton
trucks anyway). The trucks on the Lackawanna covered hopper were ASF
A-3s, and we have already have relatively good A-3s in HO; again,
they're supposed to be fifty ton trucks, but the difference in
journal box size isn't very obvious. The trucks on the Erie gondola
were 70 ton self-aligning spring-plankless double truss with six
springs on each side, three across facing outward, and that's a
rather common design which we've never had in HO. Brian?

Richard Hendrickson

Jason Hill

Hi Richard, Brian, et al,
I'd vote for the 6-spring version also. I found that my Atlas 70t
ballast hart-hopper have that truck that we've long been waiting for.
But I've not tried to get more of them individually yet. If TMW
makes them I would definitely "spring" for many of them for all my
Athearn 65' gonds, Erie 52', and many other cars that I have to build
or update with those more accurate trucks.

Best Regards,
Jason Hill
Modeling Tehachapi Pass in 1952

--- In STMFC@..., Richard Hendrickson <rhendrickson@...>
wrote:

[...]

Bill Kelly

I'd like to add this 50 ton truck to the wish list.
It's good for tank cars built in the thirties.
I don't know the manufacturer, Scullin perhaps.

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/acfx/dax309asw.jpg

Later,
Bill Kelly
Click to help a good cause and make a difference
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/Ioyw6i3ngVxvMSwEpfBZc1IbqFrZ4LoMS2EZcufGwyTRFO0BOcTtwt/