From: Mike Brock <brockm@brevard.net>
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, August 19, 2008 8:34:14 PM
Subject: Re: ADMIN: Re: [STMFC] Re: Freight car distribution
8<
1) The loco-regional interchange model. This model says that by
virtue of proximity, connecting road percentages will be higher than
roads that are further away. FWIW, that does not mean that if
distant road X has 10% of the national fleet and close road Y has 2%
that there should be more Y cars than X cars, but only that the % of
Y should be above 2% and by default, the % of X must be below 10%.
No data sets have been offered to support this model."

The model that I prefer is a modified Nelson/Gilbert model which states that
RRs with "significant interchange" should have from 2 to 2.5 times the
national %. The 1949 Fraley supports this scenario. "Significant
interchange" would be one in which one RR terminates and a very high % of
its traffic continues on another. Examples are UP/SP at Ogden, UT, UP/Milw
and UP/CB&Q and UP/C&NW at Council Bluffs/Omaha. Add GN/CB&Q and NP/CB&Q in
Minneapolis/ St. Paul and SP/RI and SP/SSW. I would not include UP/Mopac at
Omaha or the other Omaha RRs. There might be others as well. I would not
include RRs that simply connect as in the case of Southern and SP and Mopac
at New Orleans, PRR and Mopac at St. Louis, SR and B&O at St. Louis, SR with
N&W at Cicinnati. FEC and SR, SAL and RF&P would need study.

J.A. Phillips

What we've seen in a raft of NP teletypes from their general agent in Portland is that a lot of NP traffic was handed off to the Q not in the Twin Cities but at Park Junction, Montana (read Billings). Another favorite ploy with rollers would be to send them down the James River and Oakes Branch in North Dakota and hand them off to the CNW at Oakes, N.D. This was apparently a long-standing practice.

FWIW
John Phillips

Any world that can produce the Taj Mahal, William Shakespeare, and striped toothpaste can't be all bad. (_One, Two, Three_, 1961)

leakinmywaders

JP III:

Hmmmm--are you sure about that location identifier? I don't think
Park Junction was in Montana. I understand it was near the Twin Cities
near St. Anthony, Minnesota, and it was among the NP's busiest
interchanges with CBQ, MILW, and Rock Island.

Chris Frissell
Polson, MT