Freight car distribution YV per diem

Malcolm Laughlin <mlaughlinnyc@...>

Posted by: "Jack Burgess" jack@yosemitevalleyrr.com yvrrus But wouldn't that information be needed every day to pay for per diem
charges?
============ An interesting point Jack. Sorry I didn't think of that earlier.

But the answer to your question is a current no and a later yes. There was no daily need for the information. The per diem settlement was made on a monthly basis. I have a vague recollection that two months were allowed for the calculation and then a month to make payment, on a net basis. Not sure of those numbers but it was months.

Interchange reports were, IIRC, collected by the freight agent (I could be wrong on that) and forwarded by company mail to the car accounting deaprtment. The per diem payment between railroads A and B was based on the rper diem rate multplied by the difference of car days of cars owned by B on railroad A and A's car days on B.

There was no need for a count by day or by car type as the per diem was a uniform rate per car per day.

Malcolm Laughlin, Editor 617-489-4383
New England Rail Shipper Directories
19 Holden Road, Belmont, MA 02478

Larry Jackman <Ljack70117@...>

See my last post. The per diem was based on per day of cars on the RR. When I was on the Un Pac at Salina Ks the first thing the 10:30 yard engine did was grab the Cars for the Mop, RI and John Santa FE and make a run to get then on the Interchanges BEFOR 11:59 PM. If he did not get them there by 11:59 we paid another day of Per Diem.
By the way on the RRs I worked on there was no 12PM or 12AM. It was always 11:59 PM or 11:59 AM. Never 12 Noon or Midnight.
Thank you
Larry Jackman
ljack70117@comcast.net

On Aug 20, 2008, at 3:37 PM, Malcolm Laughlin wrote:

[...]

Aidrian Bridgeman-Sutton <smokeandsteam@...>

Posted by: "Larry Jackman"

When I was on the Un Pac at Salina Ks the first thing the 10:30
yard engine did was grab the Cars for the Mop, RI and John Santa FE
and make a run to get then on the Interchanges BEFOR 11:59 PM. If he
did not get them there by 11:59 we paid another day of Per Diem.<

And I am sure the folks on the other side woudl try to find ways to
hold him outside the interchange until 12.01 to avoid the charges...

Aidrian

Larry Jackman <Ljack70117@...>

Not really. The other roads would put their interchange on the track. The Un Pac would pull their cars off and put ours on the track.
I remember one night we had more cars than the interchange would hold for the Mop. So our engine put all he could and filled the track then left the rest of them coupled on and left them on our track. The next morning the Mop pulled the track and the extra cars came along. The Mop crew turn in time slips for switching Un Pac track and that day they got double pay. The next day there was a hot memo to our crew about it and it was never done again.
Thank you
Larry Jackman
ljack70117@comcast.net

Posted by: "Larry Jackman"