A logical look at Associated RR's Regarding Frt Car Distribution

Tim O'Connor

Mike

That's a lot of betting, doubts, and exclamatory statements for one
paragraph. Since when does a "shorter route" have much to do with
anything related to car routing? Freight cars don't travel according to
the "shortest route" logic -- they return by the way they came, unless
they don't, which in a great many cases, is what happens. I'm very
confident that UP carried SP box cars west over Sherman Hill to
all kinds of destinations not on the SP. And likewise SP forwarded
UP box cars to the Rio Grande for delivery to who knows where?
And what does it mean anyway?

You have the advantage of modeling Sherman Hill, basically a
pure east-west traffic pattern that prevailed for hundreds of miles
to the west, and relatively little north-south activity in that area. But
to extrapolate from Sherman Hill to Columbus Ohio, practically in
the epicenter of a couple of dozen overlapping railroads radiating
in every direction from scores of junction points and interchanges
within a 100 mile radius?? Are you kidding? I'm never quite sure as
you seem to enjoy baiting us ... and you got me to rise to the occasion.

But I'm still not sure what you were driving at, unless you're trying to
say that on Sherman Hill, SP box cars were proportionally more
common than other railroads not so closely affiliated with the UP.
And to that, I agree, since I've said before that the Overland Route
was practically a joint operation of the two railroads during this era.
But other than the percentages, I doubt there are many useful
generalizations anyone can make about what those box cars were
doing (Empty? Loaded? Eastbound? Westbound? Bridge traffic?
Received to terminate online? Originated to end offline?)

From: "Mike Brock" <brockm@...>

I'm going to bet that they aren't going back down southwest to southern
Cal on UP nor back west and up north on UP to the north Pacific. There
are much shorter routes. I also doubt that many will transfer to the
D&RGW. Westbound UP box cars might, indeed, travel on UP tracks
south to S. Cal or to ID, OR and Wash. So, given the above, why would
we doubt that SP box cars should show up on the UP WY trunk more than
their national %?

Mike Brock <brockm@...>

Before we leave this fascinating[?] look into frt car distributions, perhaps it's time for a brief and casual look at the logic with associated RR interchanges.

The Nelson/Gilbert theory says that the home road should be represented much higher than its % of the national fleet. Let's say 3 times the national number. The data that Tim Gilbert used includes that of 30 or so trains from the region Laramie-Green River WY in 1947. THe actual number was 87 UP box cars out of 777 total box cars or 11%. The UP national % in 1947 was 3.6% so 3 works pretty well. If you look at a RR map you'll notice that there's a junction at Granger, WY, where the UP goes to Pocatello, ID, and the Pacific Northwest. Other than that, UP tracks join SP at Ogden. There is a junction there with D&RGW as well. According to the theory, UP trains working east from Ogden should contain 11%-3.6%=7.4% more box cars than the national %. SP trains working west from Ogden should exhibit about the same. So...where do all the UP and SP box cars go? Where'd they come from? IOW, if trains containing about 3 times the national % of SP box cars are proceeding east on SP tracks west of Ogden I'm going to bet that they aren't going back down southwest to southern Cal on UP nor back west and up north on UP to the north Pacific. There are much shorter routes. I also doubt that many will transfer to the D&RGW. Westbound UP box cars might, indeed, travel on UP tracks south to S. Cal or to ID, OR and Wash. So, given the above, why would we doubt that SP box cars should show up on the UP WY trunk more than their national %?

There are similar locations where this might occur. For example, if the home road % rules, what about N&W and Southern between Knoxville, TN and Roanoke, N&W/NYC between points south of Columbus, OH and points north. For that matter, there must be many similar situations...such as GN/CB&Q or C&NW and the same for NP.

Mike Brock