Santa Fe Plug Door Reefers

Andy Miller <aslmmiller@...>

I am currently kitbashing some SantaFe plug door 40' iced reefers. The first model under consideration is an Rr-47. According to the ATSF Society's book on reefers these cars were built in 1951 with a rectangular panel (Murphy) roof. In 1951 wouldn't they have used a diagonal panel (Stanray) roof?

Similarly, the Sunshine Models info sheet on ATSF plug door reefers claims that the Rr-49s were rebuilt retaining their rectangular panel roof from a 1930's rebuilding, but the Society book claims they had diagonal panel roofs. Which is correct?

regards,

Andy Miller_dels info sheet

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Andy Miller wrote:
In 1951 wouldn't they have used a diagonal panel (Stanray) roof?
It's a pretty tiny nit, Andy, but Standard Railway Equipment didn't call themselves "Stanray" until after the validity period of this list.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Tim O'Connor

Correct -- I think we may apply "SRE" for the STMFC era.

At 8/24/2008 01:50 PM Sunday, you wrote:
Andy Miller wrote:
In 1951 wouldn't they have used a diagonal panel (Stanray) roof?
It's a pretty tiny nit, Andy, but Standard Railway Equipment
didn't call themselves "Stanray" until after the validity period of
this list.

Tony Thompson

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Tim O'Connor wrote:
Correct -- I think we may apply "SRE" for the STMFC era.
Good abbreviation. The company itself in the 1950s used "SRECo" in their ads, which I find a little compulsive.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Tim O'Connor

And I'm not certain, but I think SRE is not to be confused
with USRE -- United States Railway Equipment -- which was a
rebuilder of freight cars during the 1960's (using the easily
recognized outline of the continental US as its builder logo)

Tim O'Connor

At 8/24/2008 03:00 PM Sunday, you wrote:
Tim O'Connor wrote:
Correct -- I think we may apply "SRE" for the STMFC era.
Good abbreviation. The company itself in the 1950s used "SRECo"
in their ads, which I find a little compulsive.

Tony Thompson

Andy Miller <aslmmiller@...>

Now that we have beaten to death what the Standard Railway Equipment Co called itself , does anyone know whether the Rr-47s were really built with rectangular panel roofs in 1951?

I am hoping so since I have a lot of them in my parts bin, but have been waiting for some time for an order of diagonal panel roofs from I/M.

regards,

Andy Miller

And I'm not certain, but I think SRE is not to be confused
with USRE -- United States Railway Equipment -- which was a
rebuilder of freight cars during the 1960's (using the easily
recognized outline of the continental US as its builder logo)

Tim O'Connor

At 8/24/2008 03:00 PM Sunday, you wrote:
>Tim O'Connor wrote:
>> Correct -- I think we may apply "SRE" for the STMFC era.
>
> Good abbreviation. The company itself in the 1950s used "SRECo"
>in their ads, which I find a little compulsive.
>
>Tony Thompson

charles slater

Andy the Rr-47 class cars were built new in 1951 by the West Wichita shops and did have a diagonal panel roof.
The Rr-49 class cars were rebuilt in 1950 from Rr-5 class wood cars some of which had already had there original roofs replaced with Murphy streight panel roofs in the 1930/40's. The cars that had the streight panel roofs at the time they were rebuilt into Rr-49 cars kept them, and the Rr-5's that had their original roofs when rebuilt into Rr-49's got new diagonal panel roofs. So the answer is the Rr-49's used both roofs, but if there is a number series for which ones the Santa Fe folio sheet does not break that down. My GUESS is they were mixed togather.
Maybe Richard H. has more information on this.
Charlie Slater

To: STMFC@...: aslmmiller@...: Sun, 24 Aug 2008 11:24:56 -0400Subject: [STMFC] Santa Fe Plug Door Reefers

I am currently kitbashing some SantaFe plug door 40' iced reefers. The first model under consideration is an Rr-47. According to the ATSF Society's book on reefers these cars were built in 1951 with a rectangular panel (Murphy) roof. In 1951 wouldn't they have used a diagonal panel (Stanray) roof? Similarly, the Sunshine Models info sheet on ATSF plug door reefers claims that the Rr-49s were rebuilt retaining their rectangular panel roof from a 1930's rebuilding, but the Society book claims they had diagonal panel roofs. Which is correct?regards,Andy Miller_dels info sheet[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Andy Miller <aslmmiller@...>

Thanx Charles. Rr-49 it will be.

regards,

Andy Miller

To: STMFC@...: aslmmiller@...: Sun, 24 Aug 2008 11:24:56 -0400Subject: [STMFC] Santa Fe Plug Door Reefers

I am currently kitbashing some SantaFe plug door 40' iced reefers. The first model under consideration is an Rr-47. According to the ATSF Society's book on reefers these cars were built in 1951 with a rectangular panel (Murphy) roof. In 1951 wouldn't they have used a diagonal panel (Stanray) roof? Similarly, the Sunshine Models info sheet on ATSF plug door reefers claims that the Rr-49s were rebuilt retaining their rectangular panel roof from a 1930's rebuilding, but the Society book claims they had diagonal panel roofs. Which is correct?regards,Andy Miller_dels info sheet[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/108588797/direct/01/

charles slater

Yes the Rr-47 class cars were built with Diagonal Panel roofs. Did you not get my earlier E-Mail, if not I can send it to you again.
Charlie Slater

To: STMFC@...: aslmmiller@...: Sun, 24 Aug 2008 15:31:44 -0400Subject: Re: [STMFC] Santa Fe Plug Door Reefers

Now that we have beaten to death what the Standard Railway Equipment Co called itself , does anyone know whether the Rr-47s were really built with rectangular panel roofs in 1951?I am hoping so since I have a lot of them in my parts bin, but have been waiting for some time for an order of diagonal panel roofs from I/M.regards,Andy Miller----- Original Message ----- From: Tim O'Connor To: STMFC@... Sent: Sunday, August 24, 2008 3:15 PMSubject: Re: [STMFC] Santa Fe Plug Door ReefersAnd I'm not certain, but I think SRE is not to be confusedwith USRE -- United States Railway Equipment -- which was arebuilder of freight cars during the 1960's (using the easilyrecognized outline of the continental US as its builder logo)Tim O'ConnorAt 8/24/2008 03:00 PM Sunday, you wrote:>Tim O'Connor wrote:>> Correct -- I think we may apply "SRE" for the STMFC era.>> Good abbreviation. The company itself in the 1950s used "SRECo" >in their ads, which I find a little compulsive.>>Tony Thompson

Richard Hendrickson

On Aug 24, 2008, at 12:55 PM, charles slater wrote:

Andy the Rr-47 class cars were built new in 1951 by the West
Wichita shops and did have a diagonal panel roof.
The Rr-49 class cars were rebuilt in 1950 from Rr-5 class wood
cars some of which had already had there original roofs replaced
with Murphy streight panel roofs in the 1930/40's. The cars that
had the streight panel roofs at the time they were rebuilt into
Rr-49 cars kept them, and the Rr-5's that had their original roofs
when rebuilt into Rr-49's got new diagonal panel roofs. So the
answer is the Rr-49's used both roofs, but if there is a number
series for which ones the Santa Fe folio sheet does not break that
down. My GUESS is they were mixed togather.
Maybe Richard H. has more information on this.
Charlie is correct on all counts. I would just add that VERY few of
the Rr-5 class reefers survived with their original roofs, so almost
all of the Rr-49s had the rectangular panel roofs which replaced the
original Rr-5 roofs in the late '30s and early '40s. In the photos I
have of Rr-49s, the roofs (where visible) are all rectangular panel.

Richard Hendrickson