GN frt cars in interchange

frtcar <staffan.ehnbom@...>

I intend to try and do a clinic on Great Northern freight cars in
interchange and would love to hear samples of GN cars shown to be
on "foreign"roads. I would appreciate receiveing info on the GN car
number, location or in a train headed where from where? Info on what
the load was, perhaps even where originated and where bound for, if
applicable, would be "icing on the cake". If my e-mail can't be deduced
from the posting it is staffan dot ehnbom at telia dot com.

Staffan Ehnbom

Tim O'Connor

Mike Brock <brockm@...>

Staffan Ehnbom writes:

"I intend to try and do a clinic on Great Northern freight cars in
interchange and would love to hear samples of GN cars shown to be
on "foreign"roads. I would appreciate receiveing info on the GN car
number, location or in a train headed where from where? Info on what
the load was, perhaps even where originated and where bound for, if
applicable, would be "icing on the cake".

As you might have noticed, the 1956 data I have on 31 UP frt trains over Sherman Hill includes 47 GN box cars. I have not compiled a list of flats and gons yet. I'll be glad to compile the GN box car data as to car numbers, load and destination but it will take time to do that. When do you need it?

Mike Brock

Greg Bartek

Staffan,
The following information is from an original agents record yard check
book at the Portland, PA station of the Lehigh & New England RR:

Date Load Destination
4/22/55 GN 44298 Malt Catasauqua
5/24/55 GN 21790 Flour Allentown
8/24/55 GN 42420 glass cont. (unknown)

Hope this info is helpful.
Greg Bartek

--- In STMFC@..., "frtcar" <staffan.ehnbom@...> wrote:

I intend to try and do a clinic on Great Northern freight cars in
interchange and would love to hear samples of GN cars shown to be
on "foreign"roads. I would appreciate receiveing info on the GN car
number, location or in a train headed where from where? Info on what
the load was, perhaps even where originated and where bound for, if
applicable, would be "icing on the cake". If my e-mail can't be
deduced
from the posting it is staffan dot ehnbom at telia dot com.

Staffan Ehnbom

Staffan Ehnbom <staffan.ehnbom@...>

Greg,

Info about cars as far East as PA is especially interesting. Thank you very much!

Staffan Ehnbom

The following information is from an original agents record yard check
book at the Portland, PA station of the Lehigh & New England RR:

Date Load Destination
4/22/55 GN 44298 Malt Catasauqua
5/24/55 GN 21790 Flour Allentown
8/24/55 GN 42420 glass cont. (unknown)

Hope this info is helpful.
Greg Bartek

--- In STMFC@..., "frtcar" <staffan.ehnbom@...> wrote:

> I intend to try and do a clinic on Great Northern freight cars in
> interchange and would love to hear samples of GN cars shown to be
> on "foreign"roads. I would appreciate receiveing info on the GN car
> number, location or in a train headed where from where? Info on what
> the load was, perhaps even where originated and where bound for, if
> applicable, would be "icing on the cake". If my e-mail can't be
deduced
> from the posting it is staffan dot ehnbom at telia dot com.
>
> Staffan Ehnbom

Brian J Carlson <brian@...>

Why, is it interesting? It is documented that boxcars got around. (I am not
trying to start that thread again).

Brian J Carlson P.E.
Cheektowaga NY

From: frtcar <staffan.ehnbom@...>
Subject: [STMFC] GN frt cars in interchange
To: STMFC@...
Date: Sunday, August 31, 2008, 3:23 PM

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Larry Fink wrote (in a great post):
GN 76478 (GS) gondola with "Company Run-of-Mine Coal" destined
for "Chisn"(?).
Betcha that would be "Chian" (Cheyenne).
The most interesting thing to me in the list is the number of box cars with coal or other bulk loads. Also interesting to see so much LCL, and even a stock car with lumber.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Charles Morrill

I guess the rule of thumb would be 'if it can be fit through the door, it was shipped in a boxcar at one time or another'. Excluding uncontainerized liquids of course.
Charlie

#1 wheat ex steamer Mathewston from "Lakehead" (Fort William or Port
Arthur, ON) unloaded 26 April, 1942--

GN 42740 5 May, 1942 1900 bushels

GN 52300 8 May, 1942 2000 bushels

#1 wheat ex steamer Emperor (origin port not given), unloaded 20/21
June, 1942--

GN 9372 4 November, 1942 1500 bushels

#1 wheat ex steamer Secord from Port Arthur, ON, unloaded 20/21 July,
1942--

GN 49848 7 November, 1942 2000 bushels

These are just a few. I'm sure that I'll find more if I look further
in the ledger.

Hope that this helps,

Steve Lucas.

P.S. For the benefit of STMFC members, just about every US road's
cars appear on this ledger as having been loded at the Tiffin
elevator within a three-year timeframe from 28 August, 1941 to 10
July, 1944. As the elevator had a 4 1/2 million bushel capacity, a
lot of grain moved through it.

Some examples--

OSL 307294 2000 bushels #2 wheat 12 Feb., 1943.
OWR&N 188806 2000 bushels #2 wheat 14 Feb., 1943.
ERIE 79144 2000 bushels #2 wheat 14 Feb., 1943.
L&N 5540 1600 bushels #2 wheat 14 Feb., 1943.
ATSF 127978 2000 bushels #2 wheat 8 March, 1943.

--- In STMFC@..., "frtcar" <staffan.ehnbom@...> wrote:

I intend to try and do a clinic on Great Northern freight cars in
interchange and would love to hear samples of GN cars shown to be
on "foreign"roads. I would appreciate receiveing info on the GN car
number, location or in a train headed where from where? Info on
what
the load was, perhaps even where originated and where bound for, if
applicable, would be "icing on the cake". If my e-mail can't be
deduced
from the posting it is staffan dot ehnbom at telia dot com.

Staffan Ehnbom

Larry Fink

Larry Fink wrote (in a great post):
GN 76478 (GS) gondola with "Company Run-of-Mine Coal" destined
for "Chisn"(?).
Betcha that would be "Chian" (Cheyenne).
The most interesting thing to me in the list is the number of
box
cars with coal or other bulk loads. Also interesting to see so much
LCL, and even a stock car with lumber.

Publishers of books on railroad history
Chian representing Cheyenne is a good guess, and there is no station
that starts "Chi" in UP's list. However, that same conductor
(Harrison) spelled out Cheyenne 4 other times for cars in the train.
So, I don't know...

Members might be interested to know of the 2,620 cars in the limited
records of UP trains in 1947-1948 (mainly in the Cheyenne area),
those 32 GN cars represent 1% of the total. SP was 2% of the cars,
and ATSF (not including SFRD) was also 2%. (Counting the 7 T&NO cars
would make the SP cars round off to 3%) Perhaps not unexpected is
that PFE cars were 17%. SFRD cars were themselves 2%. Refrigerator
cars made up 28% of all cars, 5% were hoppers and 16% some type of
gondola (with coal). The "home road" UP cars made up only 15% (not
counting PFE). PRR cars were 7%. NYC was pretty well represented
with 4%. I'm surprised ATSF and SP cars are not a larger
percentage. I wouldn't have guessed NYC would outnumber them. I'm
not too surprised at the number of PRR cars just because there were
so many. Are these figures consistent with your impressions, Tony?

By the way, I got to thinking about the cows in the GN boxcar. The
mean low-temperature for Cheyenne in December is 17 F with a
potential for sub-zero, and they were probably high-value dairy cows
(not for slaughter) owing to their California destination. Plus, it
was coupled right behind the Challenger's tender for possible special
attention (and maybe to avoid slack action). So maybe it's not too
strange to ship livestock in a boxcar under those conditions?

Larry

Larry Kline

I don't have any paperwork from the WM but I do have Bill Price
slides, B&W photos and videos of WM freight trains in the vicinity of
Cumberland MD, circa 1951-1954. WM was primarily a bridge route so
westbound trains are headed for interchange with the P&WV or the P&LE.
Eastbound trains are headed for eastern destinations on the WM or
interchange, primarily with the RDG.

I can identify 9 GN 40 ft boxcars. I can't read car numbers but I have
tentatively identified car types based on GN rosters and photos, car
height compared with adjacent, identifiable cars, door type, the
bottom of the car side (e.g. straight or tabs), and the ends when
visible. Here is the list:
Video clip, train 1, westbound, 3 GN boxcars in a six car string:
postwar AAR, 30000 series, 25000 series
Video clip, train 2: GN 30000 series
Price slide set 16, slide 16: GN 30000 series
Price slide set 41, slide 14: GN 30000 series, westbound
WM Steam Album, page 99, GN AAR SS wood sides, eastbound
Steam in the Alleghenies, page 61, postwar AAR, westbound (Bob Collins
photo)
Bob Lorenz photo: truss rod SS boxcar, Hagerstown, 1949

Larry Kline
Pittsburgh, PA

Staffan Ehnbom wrote:
I intend to try and do a clinic on Great Northern freight cars in
interchange and would love to hear samples of GN cars shown to be
on "foreign"roads. I would appreciate receiveing info on the GN car
number, location or in a train headed where from where?

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Staffan;

I do not have my stats at hand, but recall numerous GN cars in interchange on
the PRR. Most numerous were those cars being interchanged off RRs onto the
"Pittsburgh, Fort Wayne & Chicago" portion of Line West, which I saw in
quantity in the Conway Yard west of Pittsburgh. Smaller numbers were
transferred onto the Division I model, bound for lumberyards along the
Monongahela. I recall everything from plain jane 40-footers in early
schemes, the bright red and then the pointing-goat green schemes of the 60's.
I saw more GN cars, statistically, than NP, but both roads were well
represented, particularly given their distance from Pgh.

Elden Gatwood

________________________________

Staffan Ehnbom wrote:
I intend to try and do a clinic on Great Northern freight cars in
interchange and would love to hear samples of GN cars shown to be
on "foreign"roads. I would appreciate receiveing info on the GN car
number, location or in a train headed where from where?

__._,_.__

Messages in this topic
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/STMFC/message/75756;_ylc=X3oDMTM2Y2pqZjlzBF9TA
zk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzI1NTQ3NTMEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTY5NzI1BG1zZ0lkAzc1ODI5BHNlYw
NmdHIEc2xrA3Z0cGMEc3RpbWUDMTIyMDQ2NTk0OQR0cGNJZAM3NTc1Ng--> (19) Reply (via
web post)
E0BGdycElkAzI1NTQ3NTMEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTY5NzI1BG1zZ0lkAzc1ODI5BHNlYwNmdHIEc2x
rA3JwbHkEc3RpbWUDMTIyMDQ2NTk0OQ--?act=reply&messageNum=75829> | Start a new
topic
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/STMFC/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJlbHE5NjZ1BF9TAzk3MzU5Nz
E0BGdycElkAzI1NTQ3NTMEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTY5NzI1BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA250cGMEc3RpbWU
DMTIyMDQ2NTk0OQ-->

Messages
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/STMFC/messages;_ylc=X3oDMTJlOHZyaHIwBF9TAzk3Mz
U5NzE0BGdycElkAzI1NTQ3NTMEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTY5NzI1BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA21zZ3MEc3R
pbWUDMTIyMDQ2NTk0OA--> | Files
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/STMFC/files;_ylc=X3oDMTJmazB1cDI5BF9TAzk3MzU5N
zE0BGdycElkAzI1NTQ3NTMEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTY5NzI1BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2ZpbGVzBHN0aW
1lAzEyMjA0NjU5NDg-> | Photos
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/STMFC/photos;_ylc=X3oDMTJlZG1uaXZ0BF9TAzk3MzU5
NzE0BGdycElkAzI1NTQ3NTMEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTY5NzI1BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3Bob3QEc3Rpb
WUDMTIyMDQ2NTk0OA--> | Links
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/STMFC/links;_ylc=X3oDMTJmamhzYWVhBF9TAzk3MzU5N
zE0BGdycElkAzI1NTQ3NTMEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTY5NzI1BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2xpbmtzBHN0aW
1lAzEyMjA0NjU5NDg-> | Database
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/STMFC/database;_ylc=X3oDMTJjMzJqdW0xBF9TAzk3Mz
U5NzE0BGdycElkAzI1NTQ3NTMEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTY5NzI1BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2RiBHN0aW1
lAzEyMjA0NjU5NDg-> | Members
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/STMFC/members;_ylc=X3oDMTJlNWJxZWQ5BF9TAzk3MzU
5NzE0BGdycElkAzI1NTQ3NTMEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTY5NzI1BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA21icnMEc3Rp
bWUDMTIyMDQ2NTk0OA--> | Calendar
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/STMFC/calendar;_ylc=X3oDMTJkOTV0ZnU0BF9TAzk3Mz
U5NzE0BGdycElkAzI1NTQ3NTMEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTY5NzI1BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2NhbARzdGl
tZQMxMjIwNDY1OTQ4>

Yahoo! Groups
<http://groups.yahoo.com/;_ylc=X3oDMTJkOXU2bG02BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzI1NT
Q3NTMEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTY5NzI1BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2dmcARzdGltZQMxMjIwNDY1OTQ5>
Change settings via the Web
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/STMFC/join;_ylc=X3oDMTJmdDg0b2gwBF9TAzk3MzU5Nz
E0BGdycElkAzI1NTQ3NTMEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTY5NzI1BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3N0bmdzBHN0aW1
lAzEyMjA0NjU5NDk-> (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest
<mailto:STMFC-digest@...?subject=Email%20Delivery:%20Digest> |
Switch format to Traditional
<mailto:STMFC-traditional@...?subject=Change%20Delivery%20Format:
%20Traditional>
Visit Your Group
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/STMFC;_ylc=X3oDMTJkYzliYnNoBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGd
ycElkAzI1NTQ3NTMEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTY5NzI1BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2hwZgRzdGltZQMxMjIw
NDY1OTQ5> | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> |

Recent Activity

* 5

New Members
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/STMFC/members;_ylc=X3oDMTJmZDNxbDEzBF9TAzk3MzU
5NzE0BGdycElkAzI1NTQ3NTMEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTY5NzI1BHNlYwN2dGwEc2xrA3ZtYnJzBHN0
aW1lAzEyMjA0NjU5NDg->

* 4

New Files
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/STMFC/files;_ylc=X3oDMTJnZTIxZ2phBF9TAzk3MzU5N
zE0BGdycElkAzI1NTQ3NTMEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTY5NzI1BHNlYwN2dGwEc2xrA3ZmaWxlcwRzdG
ltZQMxMjIwNDY1OTQ4>

Visit Your Group
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/STMFC;_ylc=X3oDMTJlbGQ0c29iBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGd
ycElkAzI1NTQ3NTMEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTY5NzI1BHNlYwN2dGwEc2xrA3ZnaHAEc3RpbWUDMTIy
MDQ2NTk0OA-->

Give Back

Yahoo! for Good
<http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylc=X3oDMTJtY21xMWduBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BF9wAzEEZ3JwSWQ
DMjU1NDc1MwRncnBzcElkAzE3MDUxNjk3MjUEc2VjA25jbW9kBHNsawNicmFuZARzdGltZQMxMjIw
NDY1OTQ4;_ylg=1/SIG=11314uv3k/**http%3A/brand.yahoo.com/forgood>

Get inspired

by a good cause.

Y! Toolbar

Get it Free!
<http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylc=X3oDMTJvbTAwampzBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BF9wAzIEZ3JwSWQ
DMjU1NDc1MwRncnBzcElkAzE3MDUxNjk3MjUEc2VjA25jbW9kBHNsawN0b29sYmFyBHN0aW1lAzEy
MjA0NjU5NDg-;_ylg=1/SIG=11c6dvmk9/**http%3A/toolbar.yahoo.com/%3F.cpdl=ygrps>

easy 1-click access

to your groups.

Yahoo! Groups

Start a group
<http://groups.yahoo.com/start;_ylc=X3oDMTJvdHR1czVpBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BF9wAzMEZ
3JwSWQDMjU1NDc1MwRncnBzcElkAzE3MDUxNjk3MjUEc2VjA25jbW9kBHNsawNncm91cHMyBHN0aW
1lAzEyMjA0NjU5NDg->

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

.

<http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=2554753/grpspId=1705169725/msgId=
75829/stime=1220465949/nc1=1/nc2=2/nc3=3>