Topics

Midland Valley composite open hopper

David

Hello-

I am trying to find more information on Midland Valley open hoppers in
the series 9000-9024. Built by AC&F lot 2655 in 2-44, 2580cu.ft.
Doing a search of older posts I found the following:

AAR composite Emergency
design that was also constructed for the Missouri Pacific Lines (MP
63000-64199; I-GN 65000-65099; Mo-Ill 6200-6249; St.LB&M 65250-65499)
and the Midland Valley (9000-9024), all AC&F Lot 2605, built 1943-1944.

The only picture I have is from Stagner's Midland Valley book. Have
plans of these cars ever been published (the AAR design, not
specifically the MV cars)? I would like to model several
of these cars in HO.

David Snook
Wichita, Kansas

Ed Hawkins

On Sep 5, 2008, at 6:16 PM, David wrote:

I am trying to find more information on Midland Valley open hoppers in
the series 9000-9024. Built by AC&F lot 2655 in 2-44, 2580cu.ft.
Doing a search of older posts I found the following:

AAR composite Emergency
design that was also constructed for the Missouri Pacific Lines (MP
63000-64199; I-GN 65000-65099; Mo-Ill 6200-6249; St.LB&M 65250-65499)
and the Midland Valley (9000-9024), all AC&F Lot 2605, built
1943-1944.

The only picture I have is from Stagner's Midland Valley book. Have
plans of these cars ever been published (the AAR design, not
specifically the MV cars)? I would like to model several
of these cars in HO.
David,
The 25 MV composite emergency 70-ton hopper cars were identical to the
1,200 cars built for MoPac. There exists a series of original AC&F
drawings for the cars at the Museum of Transportation in Kirkwood, Mo.
and copies can be made.

The general arrangement drawing number is 61-4944 and brake arrangement
is 61-4945. There are a number of other drawings of various steel
details such as underframe parts, side posts, and end parts.

Contact me off-list if you are interested.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins
hawk0621@...

proto48er

David -

These cars in AC&F lot #2605 also included (50) cars in Mo-Ill series
#6200-6249. I have no concrete information on the MV cars; however,
the N&W also had VERY SIMILAR triple composite hoppers of this design
built in this time frame, and models of these cars HAVE been imported
in "O" scale by PSC (#15693) as N&W class H-4. (I have never been in
HO, so do not know about it, but you might check with someone
knowledgable about PSC's HO offerings - sometimes they imported the
same model in both scales).

The MP cars had composite (wood) sides and floors when built. In the
early 1950's (out of my time frame of expertise), all the wood was
replaced with steel. (PSC imported these, too.) Later in the
1950's, a number of these cars received tight bays (like a covered
hopper in class LO) and tight roofs. They kept the original diagonal
bracing on the sides. In this configuration they were classed LO and
used to haul cement.

I measured a couple of the prototype MP hoppers years ago. When
the "O" scale PSC model was imported, it checked on all dimensions
with the MP cars; even the slope sheet angle from horizontal was
correct. If that model is available in HO, it would make life a lot
easier for you!

<Parenthetically, things are not always as they appear. The 70-ton
quad offset side hoppers on MP (and M-K-T, Erie, etc.) were found to
have a different angle of their slope sheets from horizontal when
compared to the B&O/C&O quad offset hoppers from the same builder at
the same date. This was only revealed by careful measurement of the
prototype cars!>

As for drawings, they may be in the 1943 CBC (it is at home and I am
not). I recall that my drawings were in an early "Eagle" of the
MPHS, long out of print.

A.T. Kott

benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@...>

David Snook wrote:
"I am trying to find more information on Midland Valley open hoppers
in the series 9000-9024. Have plans of these cars ever been published
(the AAR design, not specifically the MV cars)? I would like to model
several of these cars in HO."

The January 1986 issue of Mainline Modeler had a prototype article on
N&W Class H-4 triples by Roy Hurlbut with plans by Bob Hundman.
Additionally, if you're interested in building these cars, you might
want to get a copy of John Munson's article in the February 1986 issue
of Mainline Modeler, where he kitbashed a model of this car from two
Athearn War Emergency twins. While the kitbash ended up being more
involved than simply cutting and splicing two kit bodies together, it's
very creative modeling that's well worth reading.
http://spec.lib.vt.edu/imagebase/norfolksouthern/full/ns2091.jpeg

Ben Hom

proto48er

Guys -

Before this topic fades away, I wanted to point out a small error in
the MM plans and the PSC "O" scale model. The 1943 CBC does have the
correct general elevation and cross sectional drawings for these
cars. Careful examination of the two vertical side stakes adjacent
to the center stake on both the CBC drawing and the MP prototype cars
shows them to be a Z-brace and an angle brace riveted together, and
not a bulb brace like the remainder of the braces on the sides of the
car. They are riveted at the "web". Actually, the Z and angle
sandwich the interior bracing plate which passes through the "wood"
sides. You really have to look hard at the photos to notice this,
and be somewhat anal to include it in a model.

A.T. Kott