Topics

PRR X-31A Truck and Underframe Color Question

parkcitybranch <parkcitybranch@...>

I am getting ready to have a PRR X-31 painted and need to know the
color of the underframe and the trucks. According to the Sunshine
Models documentation it states the trucks were black, but I have seen
some people's models that had the trucks painted the same color as the
car body. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Jason Sanford

Bruce Smith

On Sun, September 7, 2008 5:57 pm, parkcitybranch wrote:
I am getting ready to have a PRR X-31 painted and need to know the
color of the underframe and the trucks. According to the Sunshine
Models documentation it states the trucks were black, but I have seen
some people's models that had the trucks painted the same color as the
car body. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Jason Sanford
Jason,

Underframe - FCC
Trucks - as Elden says in TKM each time he paints a car
"From the �Instructions for Painting Freight
Equipment Cars�, dated January 13, 1953,
reproduced from the Pennsylvania State Archives, we
see that: �Paint all metal parts with two coats of
�Wet-on-Wet� Freight Car Paint, Acct. 47, Ref.
2383.� Except when the car was new and featured
re-conditioned trucks, the trucks were not painted."

So, my trucks are usually grime colored, but on new cars that have been
built recently, I do use FCC as a change of pace.

Regards
Bruce

Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

Lawrence Rast

Bruce,

What's your rationale for painting the trucks on "new cars that have
been built recently" FCC?

Thanks,
Lawrence Rast

On Sep 7, 2008, at 10:58 PM, Lawrence Rast wrote:

Bruce,

What's your rationale for painting the trucks on "new cars that have
been built recently" FCC?

Thanks,
Lawrence Rast
That should be "on some new cars"...<G> in particular, cars built using rebuilt trucks. On a new car, within a few years of building, the FCC color of the trucks would still show. At any time after that it wouldn't. Typically new trucks on a new car were black. As always though, model from photos...

I do actually paint almost all of my trucks FCC, mostly because I am too lazy to take them off the car when I paint it. When covered with a grime color, the FCC is mostly hidden although some peeks through to give a rust-like look. SO the intent there is not to make them look like they were painted FCC, but to enhance the weathering and if it looks like maybe some overspray from the car hit the trucks, so be it!

Regards
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith
Auburn, AL

__
/ &#92;
| O--O &#92;0 0 0 0/ O--O | 0-0-0 0-0-0

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Guys;

I have seen pics of cars painted or repainted prior to the mid 50's that
definitely had the trucks painted FCC, even tho' it is not called for in the
instructions. Ooops.

I have also seen pics of cars painted then and later with trucks clearly
painted black, although the instruction do not call for it, either. Ooooops.

There are many, many instances of employees (paint shop) painting things that
did not follow the "standards" being issued in the company's instructions.

Let's not even get into that discussion about freight car roofs, OK?

Keep smiling,

Elden Gatwood

________________________________

[...]

<http://www.vetmed.auburn.edu/index.pl/bruce_f._smith2>

__
/ &#92;

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Gatwood, Elden J wrote:
There are many, many instances of employees (paint shop) painting things that did not follow the "standards" being issued in the company's instructions.
Exceptions are important, of course. But don't let yourself get so carried away with them as to obscure the standard, which even on the PRR <g> was presumably more common than the exceptions. Personally, I want to know both: the standard AND the exceptions, and some notion of how common were the latter.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Tony;

I personally have zero PRR cars with painted trucks; probably none for any
other railroad, either.

Painted trucks on the PRR, at least in my timeframe, were something I don't
remember seeing, nor do I have photos showing them. The most recent photo I
have seen with painted trucks was dated 1954, but I cannot assert that I know
that to be a comprehensive answer; in modeling a big fleet, you could
conceivably justify a few in earlier timeframes, since you have photos to
justify it.

Roofs were a whole different story, and there are enough photos to make
anyone looking for a "standard", go nuts trying to prove things one way or
the other. The Painting Instructions are confusing, so probably added to the
variety of treatments one can see. For good reason, I try to use photos for
the vast majority of my freight cars.

Elden Gatwood

________________________________

There are many, many instances of employees (paint shop) painting
things that did not follow the "standards" being issued in the
company's instructions.
Exceptions are important, of course. But don't let yourself get
so carried away with them as to obscure the standard, which even on the
PRR <g> was presumably more common than the exceptions. Personally, I
want to know both: the standard AND the exceptions, and some notion of
how common were the latter.

<mailto:thompson%40signaturepress.com>
Publishers of books on railroad history

Chet French <cfrench@...>

--- In STMFC@..., "Gatwood, Elden J SAD "
<elden.j.gatwood@...> wrote:

Tony;

I personally have zero PRR cars with painted trucks; probably none
for any
other railroad, either.

Painted trucks on the PRR, at least in my timeframe, were something
I don't
remember seeing, nor do I have photos showing them. The most
recent photo I
have seen with painted trucks was dated 1954, but I cannot assert
that I know
that to be a comprehensive answer; in modeling a big fleet, you
could
conceivably justify a few in earlier timeframes, since you have
photos to
justify it. <snip>

Elden,

Bobs's Photos offers a color photo of GLa 219656, recently repainted
with a P50 2-49 reweigh date and the trucks painted the FCC.

Chet French
Dixon, IL

Lawrence Rast

Fair enough, Bruce. I like your thinking on this one. It gives me
rationale for several of my cars that have FCC on the trucks. :)

Best,
Lawrence Rast