From: John Strenski
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, September 09, 2008 7:26 PM
Subject: [STMFC] Stockcar Photos Uploaded

Hello Group:

Buddy of mine shot photos of restored ATSF stockcar #68600 located on
the old MKT Tin Can Line.

Not sure if this car is correct or not, but figured folks might enjoy
seeing it.

http://soo2408.rrpicturearchives.net/archiveThumbs.aspx?id=35684

Take care.

John
WF TX

water.kresse@...

Good pictures. On the last end view, was there a ventilation door up under the peak of the roof?

Approximate build date of the car?

Al Kresse

From: "Steve Sandifer" <steve.sandifer@sbcglobal.net>
Thanks. I had seen photos before and was planning on stopping by next week to get detail photos. Lettering is not good, but it is an ATSF SK-Q
______________
J. Stephen (Steve) Sandifer
mailto:steve.sandifer@sbcglobal.net

From: "Andy Sperandeo" <asperandeo@mrmag.com>
Hi Al,

That door at the top of the end was called a drover's door, and its purpose was to let
stockmen accompanying a shipment look in to see if the animals were okay. Later classes of
similar cars -- and there were a lot of them -- came with toe holes cut into the end siding
below the drover's door. The Sk-Q class of 250 cars (ATSF 68600-68849) was built in 1928
by the Pennsylvania Car Co. (of Kansas City!).

So long,

Andy

Dennis Storzek

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, water.kresse@... wrote:

Folks,

Being raised in the subs of Chicago, and having relatives in
Redfield, South Dakota, who tell me that my grandfather would ride the
train with his cattle or pigs to the "stock yard" for insuring a fair
auction with the big boys . . . . should know more about these
drovers. Where they hired to travel with livestock or were they the
owners of the livestock? or both? When did they stop using those
large cabooses (saw one in a museum in Saint Cloud, Wisc?) with extra
bunk beds?

Al Kresse
Drovers could be either owners or employees. If I recall what I read
correctly, each shipment of a carload or more entitled one drover to
free transportation, with a coupon good for one way coach fare back to
his point of origin.

Not all railroads used the classic long drover's caboose. Some roads
just accommodated the drovers in the regular caboose (not popular with
the crews, I'm sure) while others, such as the Soo Line rebuilt old
coaches for the service. On the Soo, the drovers cars had all the
seats removed from one end of the car and permanent bunks built in
their place. The drovers were responsible for supplying their own
blankets and bedding.

There was an account of a stock trip on the Soo Line "wheat line"
across northern North Dakota a couple years ago in The SOO, the
magazine of the Soo Line Historical & Technical Society. Back issues
can be ordered here:

http://sooline.org/publications/theSOO/past.html

You want Spring 2004, Vol.26 No.2

Dennis

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Dennis Storzek wrote:
Not all railroads used the classic long drover's caboose. Some roads just accommodated the drovers in the regular caboose (not popular with the crews, I'm sure) . . .
On the SP, a second standard caboose was often attached for the drovers' use.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Charlie Vlk

The CB&Q had "Drovers Cars" which were built to the standard 30 Ft wood waycar plan (1906 is one year they were built).
The old Trains, Inc. (later Signal House and LMB) CB&Q Wood Waycar was actually built following the Drovers Car of 1906
and has the end windows and stove on the side opposite normal wood waycars, The window on the end at the dry hopper
(toilet) should be a high small one in any case.
The Q Drovers Cars differed from an ordinary waycar only in having more bunks (double deck), and there was a bunk/seat facing rearwards
where there would normally be an equipment locker. The conductor's desk and normal railroad-related supplies (flags, fusees,
lanterns, etc..) were also not stored in the car, although there was a normal cupola with standard seats.
They also had "boarding cars" which were waycar-like in construction but longer and riding on standard No.2 passenger trucks.
They did not have cupolas and it is not certain if these were used as drovers cars or were strictly camp cars for work train
service.
The passenger combines that had cupolas could have been used for drovers but probably were "branchline waycars" used in mixed
trains on secondary lines.
Model Railroaders tend to confuse the term "Drovers Caboose" with any caboose that has a baggage door on the side. Many, if not
most, drovers cabooses did not have baggage doors, although their inclusion would have made it easier for the cowboys to load their
saddles and gear onboard.
Charlie Vlk

> Not all railroads used the classic long drover's caboose. Some roads
> just accommodated the drovers in the regular caboose (not popular with
> the crews, I'm sure) . . .

On the SP, a second standard caboose was often attached for the
drovers' use.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Steve SANDIFER

I've updated my stock car photo page with some details of ATSF cars and the CM&StP at Galveston
http://atsfrr.net/resources/Sandifer/Clinics/Stk/PresStk.htm