IM 12 panel box car ends (was youngstown 4/6/6 doors)

Camas74

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Haas &#92;(G2&#92;)" <Goatfisher2@...> wrote:

Note that Intermountain has cast two different ends for the 12 panel kit over
the years. Early models were a "4/3/thin" , later are a 4/3/0. Also, on some
series produced at the GN's St. Cloud shops, the top "rolling pin" on the
middle "3" panel is flat all the way across the bottom.

I noticed that Intermountain had two different ends also...Any idea why the change??? There
were certainly more GN and SP&S cars that were built with the "skinny rib" EID end...

Also, the ribs on the version w/o the "skinny" rib on top do not appear to me to be as "crisp"
as the one with the "skinny rib"...

Matt Sugerman,
Ft Worth, TX

Garth G. Groff <ggg9y@...>

Matt and Steve,

IIRC, one design represents an SP prototype.

Kind regards,

Garth G. Groff

Matt Sugerman wrote:

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Haas &#92;(G2&#92;)" <Goatfisher2@...> wrote:

Note that Intermountain has cast two different ends for the 12 panel kit over
the years. Early models were a "4/3/thin" , later are a 4/3/0. Also, on some
series produced at the GN's St. Cloud shops, the top "rolling pin" on the
middle "3" panel is flat all the way across the bottom.

I noticed that Intermountain had two different ends also...Any idea why the change??? There were certainly more GN and SP&S cars that were built with the "skinny rib" EID end...

Also, the ribs on the version w/o the "skinny" rib on top do not appear to me to be as "crisp" as the one with the "skinny rib"...

Matt Sugerman,
Ft Worth, TX

Andy Carlson

I recall back to the days of these car's first releases. The GN (and SP&S) cars were the first ones released. The ends supplied with these cars were attached to the feeder sprues with gates on the "riveted" edge. The SP release followed with a new end- one that had the different top rib treatment. This end is noted in that the gates came in from the bottom end sill, and the edges were free of any gates. I noticed that later runs of the GN cars seemed to use either version end. At the time I thought the first version (GN) had better rib shape but poorer edge treatment. The later end had improved rib termination, but the rib itself was not as good as the earlier end.
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA