Atlas 1932 ARA Boxcar

culturalinfidel9 <djmiller@...>

Group,

I've seen only limited discussion on the new Atlas 1932 boxcars. How
is the level of detailing? Any blatant inaccuracies? Are they
worthwhile over the Sunshine kits?

Dan Miller

mcindoefalls

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "culturalinfidel9" <djmiller@...> wrote:

I've seen only limited discussion on the new Atlas 1932 boxcars. How
is the level of detailing? Any blatant inaccuracies?
Recently there was a brief discussion here, which mostly questioned
the two-board tackboards. But while we're on the subject, I have to
question Atlas's choice of road names. The only ones I'm even
remotely, and I mean remotely, interested in are CofG and MEC. If they
had offered WM, C&O or Seaboard in the first run, they would have sold
a car or three to me already. But, Warrior River Terminal???

Walt Lankenau

timbowilts <tim.tumber@...>

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "culturalinfidel9" <djmiller@...> wrote:

Group,

I've seen only limited discussion on the new Atlas 1932 boxcars. How
is the level of detailing? Any blatant inaccuracies? Are they
worthwhile over the Sunshine kits?

Dan Miller
To a Modeller this side of the Pond, who isn't sure if he can get
Sunshine kits as he has zilch web presence, they will be a godsend if
they ever arrive!

Tim Tumber
Wiltshire,
England

spsalso

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "mcindoefalls" <mcindoefalls@...> wrote:

But while we're on the subject, I have to
question Atlas's choice of road names. The only ones I'm even
remotely, and I mean remotely, interested in are CofG and MEC. If
they
had offered WM, C&O or Seaboard in the first run, they would have
sold
a car or three to me already. But, Warrior River Terminal???

Walt Lankenau
Actually, I'm rather glad they went that route (the "obscure" one).
I only ordered one I-GN car to have a look-see. When I pick up mine,
I'll decide on whether to buy samples from other roads in larger
quantities.

Edward Sutorik

seaboard_1966

Walt

I am a SAL modeler and I picked up several of these cars, undecorated, for use a SAL cars. Speedwitch makes an outstanding set of decals which just beg to be used on these. When I get done building my latest SAL Green Hornet I intend on proceeding to the SAL 32 cars.

Denis Blake
Marysville, OH

I've seen only limited discussion on the new Atlas 1932 boxcars. How
is the level of detailing? Any blatant inaccuracies?
Recently there was a brief discussion here, which mostly questioned
the two-board tackboards. But while we're on the subject, I have to
question Atlas's choice of road names. The only ones I'm even
remotely, and I mean remotely, interested in are CofG and MEC. If they
had offered WM, C&O or Seaboard in the first run, they would have sold
a car or three to me already. But, Warrior River Terminal???

Walt Lankenau

armprem

Does anyone know where I can pick up a Clinchfield?Armand Premo

I've seen only limited discussion on the new Atlas 1932 boxcars. How
is the level of detailing? Any blatant inaccuracies?
Recently there was a brief discussion here, which mostly questioned
the two-board tackboards. But while we're on the subject, I have to
question Atlas's choice of road names. The only ones I'm even
remotely, and I mean remotely, interested in are CofG and MEC. If they
had offered WM, C&O or Seaboard in the first run, they would have sold
a car or three to me already. But, Warrior River Terminal???

Walt Lankenau

Paul Lyons

Denis,

I would be surprised if the?Atlas cars have the correct truck spacing for SAL cars? Remember, the Sunshine kits are wrong.

Paul Lyons
Lagun Niguel, CA

I've seen only limited discussion on the new Atlas 1932 boxcars. How
is the level of detailing? Any blatant inaccuracies?
Recently there was a brief discussion here, which mostly questioned
the two-board tackboards. But while we're on the subject, I have to
question Atlas's choice of road names. The only ones I'm even
remotely, and I mean remotely, interested in are CofG and MEC. If they
had offered WM, C&O or Seaboard in the first run, they would have sold
a car or three to me already. But, Warrior River Terminal???

Walt Lankenau

7:19 PM

Jason Kliewer <jasonkliewer3@...>

I doubt you'll see a C&O car due to the radial roof and the WM car
would have roof issues as well.

The SAL should be a no-brainer on a second run, I would think.

I'm pretty well on my own for CGW cars. Wrong roof, ends, and doors.
I ordered a couple to see what could be chopped up.

Jason

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Kliewer" <jasonkliewer3@...> wrote:

I doubt you'll see a C&O car due to the radial roof and the WM car
would have roof issues as well.
Thanks Jason, I didn't look all that closely at the roster and didn't
pick up the radial roof on the C&O's cars. The WM's had the Duryea
underframe, too, although I think the panel roof would be OK. Maybe
someone like Des Plaines will offer kits for some of the more unusual
variations, as they did with the C&O/ERIE 1937 boxcars.

Here's a link to the roster:
http://www.steamfreightcars.com/prototype/frtcars/1932arapdfmain.html

Walt

Jason Kliewer <jasonkliewer3@...>

That roster acrually need to be updated. It does not seem to account
for the 12 panel flat riveted roofs used by the CGW, Soo Line and
NdeM.

Jason

wrote:

I doubt you'll see a C&O car due to the radial roof and the WM
car
would have roof issues as well.
Thanks Jason, I didn't look all that closely at the roster and
didn't
pick up the radial roof on the C&O's cars. The WM's had the Duryea
underframe, too, although I think the panel roof would be OK. Maybe
someone like Des Plaines will offer kits for some of the more
unusual
variations, as they did with the C&O/ERIE 1937 boxcars.

Here's a link to the roster:
http://www.steamfreightcars.com/prototype/frtcars/1932arapdfmain.html

Walt

Gene Green <bierglaeser@...>

I understand from an Atlas rep that additional versions will be done.
So far there are two different ends. Why couldn't they do two
different roofs?
Gene Green
OitwTtoEP

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "mcindoefalls" <mcindoefalls@...> wrote:

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Kliewer" <jasonkliewer3@> wrote:

I doubt you'll see a C&O car due to the radial roof and the WM car
would have roof issues as well.
Thanks Jason, I didn't look all that closely at the roster and didn't
pick up the radial roof on the C&O's cars. The WM's had the Duryea
underframe, too, although I think the panel roof would be OK. Maybe
someone like Des Plaines will offer kits for some of the more unusual
variations, as they did with the C&O/ERIE 1937 boxcars.

Here's a link to the roster:
http://www.steamfreightcars.com/prototype/frtcars/1932arapdfmain.html

Walt

Steve SANDIFER